Irish Mountain
Running Association

Slieve Bloom Half-ish Marathon (25KM)

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Brian SmythMay 5 2023, 6:09pmHi All , the SBW series of races is now open for entry .

I’m looking for volunteers for the half. Please sign up on the volunteer section of the race event page , or just reply here.

Just to mention that the half route will be 25km .

It’s a lovely route and very runnable , and the day itself promises to be great craic for all : ) .

Get signed up to one of the 3 races on offer !
Hazel stapletonMay 7 2023, 8:09amWill there be an early start for the half?
Brian SmythMay 7 2023, 2:03pmHi Hazel ,

We are not planning on having an early start for the half . Marshals will still be out for the marathon and ultra so there will be plenty of time to get to the finish : )

Thanks ,
Brian
Brian SmythMay 16 2023, 6:21pmHi folks , closing date for slieve bloom way ultra , marathon and half marathon T-shirt purchase is 5th June .

The option to purchase a much coveted T will no longer be available in the online shop (or elsewhere) after this date.

There is an image of the tshirt on event page .

Folks I still need volunteers for this race including race reg , parking marshals , race finish volunteers , course marshals .

Many thanks
Brian SmythMay 16 2023, 6:22pmAnd First Aider of course !
Brian SmythJun 6 2023, 8:54pmHi All ,

As Gaelan has mentioned on the Slieve bloom marathon forum , entry for the half-ish and marathon will close this Saturday 10th June . No entries possible after this date . We have also extended the availability of Tshirt purchase in the online shop until the same date.
Don’t miss out !

Also, just to reiterate what Gaelan mentioned in his post regarding volunteers . We cannot hold the races without them . Please do volunteer for one of the 3 races if you can at all.

Along with all of the previously mentioned volunteer roles needed , I also need a Laptop Operator for the half as we now hope to use the mat and timing chips .

Also if someone can do first aid for the half it would be greatly appreciated. Again, the race cannot take place without a first aider . It would be great to get this role filled asap.

Looking forward to a great day on the 24th , let’s hope the weather sticks around for a while longer .

Thanks all
Eimear DeeganJun 6 2023, 9:48pmBrian, is it still possible to order a tshirt I didn't notice the option when I signed up. Thanks
susan dixonJun 7 2023, 9:07pmCan juniors volunteer for this event? I have one that wants to come with me if i sign up. Shes usually runs the junior courses so is familiar with the events.
Aoife TunneyJun 7 2023, 9:39pmIs there a link to buy a T-shirt please
Mark McInerneyJun 7 2023, 9:51pmHi Aoife,

It's in the membership/shop tab at top of IMRA web page. The t shirt is taken from your IMRA profile.
Aoife TunneyJun 7 2023, 10:02pmThank you Mark
Mark McInerneyJun 7 2023, 10:05pmMeant the t shirt size is taken from your profile
Aoife TunneyJun 7 2023, 10:17pmI must be too late , no T-shirt for sale !!
Brian SmythJun 8 2023, 10:01amEimear & Aoife . T-shirts should be available in the shop again from now until race entry close on Saturday .
Go to online shop and you can purchase there .

Thanks
Brian SmythJun 8 2023, 10:02amHi Susan

Could you give me an email at Brian.explorethehills@gmail.com

Thanks
Eimear DeeganJun 8 2023, 10:09amThanks Brian can see tshirt in shop now, but link isn't live yet
Eimear DeeganJun 8 2023, 10:24amIgnore that, purchase complete
Annette O reillyJun 10 2023, 7:45pmHi I was just wondering if anyway possible I could enter the half I just went in to sign up not realising about cut off time
Frederico LopesJun 11 2023, 8:47amSame here. Is there any possibility to still join the 25km didn't realized entries were closing already on Friday.
Thanks Fred
Niamh KellyJun 11 2023, 9:27amHi everyone,

It is with regret that I must inform you that the race entries will not be reopened. The deadline was extended until June 10th, and that was the final cutoff point. This decision was made to ensure that we have ample time to complete the considerable number of tasks before the race day, which is just two weeks away.

Thank you for understanding
Helena O TooleJun 11 2023, 2:36pmHi folks, does anyone know if there will be water stations en-route (25k)?
Thanks
Niamh KellyJun 11 2023, 5:57pmHi Helena,

Yes there will be, more details to come

It is crucial not to rely solely on it. The water supply will be for emergency use only.
David DwyerJun 12 2023, 8:20amHi guys,

I would love to race the slieve bloom half, didn't realise there was a closing date. Any chance of a late a sign up? Apologies i know you are probably sick of these requests.

Many thanks,
Dave
Brian SmythJun 15 2023, 11:14amHi David sorry to disappoint but unfortunately we can’t reopen entries ; as Niamh has mentioned in her post above.

However there is another Slievebloom race at Arderin on July 9th ; which is a fantastic route and a great way to explore the area.

See the event page for more details

Many thanks
Brian SmythJun 15 2023, 11:32amHi folks ,

With race day fast approaching we are again reaching out for more volunteers for the 3 slieve bloom races.

We are still looking for :

-a first aider for the marathon.

-A laptop operator for the half.

-Marshalls to help out on the day.

-Help at registration.

-Help with refreshments.

-Help at the finish line.

We have good numbers for all 3 races , so the help is needed and would be greatly appreciated .

Please let us know here on any of the 3 race forums , or go to the volunteering section of the individual race pages and sign up there .

I’ve met many an IT guru at previous IMRA races , so if someone could step into the laptop role for us it would be great. Laptop Op would only need to stick around for the half-ish marathon.

If anyone has any queries on volunteering and they wish to contact me direct , please do so on 083 0595560.

Give your midland cousins a dig out ; )

Thanks all
Mick HanneyJun 17 2023, 3:10pmAdded my name for laptop on the assumption that all the required gear will be with RD kit for event, as I won't be in a position to collect beforehand.
Gaelan ElliffeJun 18 2023, 11:15pmSome points to note regarding the upcoming Slieve Bloom Way races. (see below for more detail on each item)

High Viz clothing and the mandatory kit list
Way Markers and navigation
Livestock in fields
Leave no Trace
Slippy/ damaged boardwalk
Very limited parking on the route

With the races being one week away and with the route in great condition, we hope you are as excited about the races as we are . There is great enthusiasm out there and we have gotten feedback that peoples recces of the route have gone well. It has been wonderful to see people volunteering to help out with the three races. Thank you very much to everyone who has volunteered so far. We still have a need for more volunteers on the day. Please see recent posts on facebook and the IMRA forum.

High Viz clothing and the mandatory kit list
Each race event page on www.imra.ie has mandatory kit listed. The half-ish race only has a couple of items. The main item I wish to highlight is that the Marathon and Ultra races require either high viz clothing or a high viz jacket. While all 3 races have a variety of terrain there are road sections on each route. It is important you are highly visible to other road users and obey the rules of the road.

Way Markers and navigation
The accompanying photos show some of the great work that has been done clearing the very good way markers along the 70km route. It is important that runners know the route in advance and bring either a map or a gpx method of navigating should they take a wrong turn. We will only be additionally marking a couple of points along the route. The few deviations from the SBW the marathon takes will be clearly identified also.

There are 5 printable maps available at this link:
https://slievebloom.ie/walk/slieve-bloom-way

It also worth reminding people, the most recent Ordnance Survey map of the
area is out of date and doesn't have the correct SBW on it. It would take you on a very different route to the yellow way marked trail.

Livestock in fields
The three races cross working farms. If you enter a field with animals you need to walk that short section and it is very important you stick tightly to the way markers in the fields so we reduce our impact on the farms. Most of the farms have stiles but if you encounter a gate it needs to be immediately shut behind you.

Leave no Trace
As with all IMRA races we leave nothing behind but footprints. There will be bags for rubbish at the aid stations on the day. Anyone seen dropping rubbish on the course will be disqualified.

Slippy/ damaged boardwalk
As with all mountain environments lots of varied terrain is encountered. Amongst the varied terrain on these races are boardwalks. Some of which are slippy and at a couple of points near the Ridge of Capard the board walk is damaged. Due caution needs to be exercised. (see the accompanying photo)

Very limited parking on the route
There is limited parking at numerous locations on the SBW. We are providing busses for runners to the start of the races. If you decide to not use them, you need to arrange a drop off. We can't leave cars parked at Glenbarrow, Kinnitty or Cadamstown. There is very limited parking at these locations.

We also ask people not to drive up to the check point at Glenkeen. If anyone needs assistance from here, our team will shuttle them home. There is a large section of road here and it would result in cars driving against runners.

We are making our final plans in the coming week. There will be emails sent out to all runners later in the week. Can I also remind people that the IMRA forum is the primary location for communication for these three races. Best of luck with your final race preparations.
Billy StevensonJun 19 2023, 9:46amHi guys I've signed up as a helper/ volunteer for the SB half (well I think have signed up correctly?).
I am also running the half so can we please ensure I have adequate time/ transport to the start. Thanks Billy tangofitness.bs@gmail.com
Brian SmythJun 19 2023, 11:41amThanks Mick , great to have you on board . Thanks for stepping forward. Yes we will have all the kit , no need for you to pick up.

Many thanks
Brian SmythJun 19 2023, 11:48amThanks Billy , I’ve switched you to running volunteer.
Brian SmythJun 19 2023, 11:51amAll just for clarity , a hi vis layer is also part of the halfish mandatory kit. See event race page for further details. There are road sections on the route and we need runners to be visible to passing cars /farm machinery at all times.

Many thanks
Jeff SwordsJun 19 2023, 12:22pmThanks all for the planning and organising of the 3 events, should be a great weekend.

I'm trying not to open the can of worms around the high vis debate but for these races what's classed as "high vis", and presumably it's only to be displayed on roads accessible by motor vehicles?

The effectiveness of high vis (the RSA, the country's biggest pimp of it, when pushed for their research which proves the effectiveness of it eventually admitted they have none) can be treated with a high dose of scepticism at this time of the year, you're much more likely to stand out against the glare of the sun amongst green and yellow fields and hedgerows wearing all black. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox for now.
Mick HanneyJun 19 2023, 3:14pmI can see why hi vis might be needed in an event in darkness. But in daylight? It is perhaps more apt to put out some runners-on-road signs, which is the norm for IMRA events using sections of road.
Mick HanneyJun 19 2023, 4:18pm@Brian, please email me directly re: logistics for Saturday. I expect I am needed at the Registration (Finish), but not at the startline (I just need an accurate start time for the laptop for results to process properly. Cheers.
Brian SmythJun 19 2023, 8:44pmHi Mick , email will be sent direct to all volunteers in the next few days .

Many thanks
Brian SmythJun 19 2023, 11:03pmJeff , Mick
We will have road signage on road sections . I have removed hi vis as mandatory kit for the half , but as RD I’d still advise people to wear a hi vis / high fluorescent upper layer for road sections on the halfish route. We have now left this to each runner’s own personal judgement call . If I was running myself I’d wear something of this nature.

The mandatory kit was carried over initially from the initial Feb date for this race . Dark short days etc.

Of course everyone still needs to exercise caution whilst running on any country roads , with passing farm machinery etc ; and the above advice would be how one might exercise such caution . However it is no longer deemed mandatory kit for the half .

Thanks all
Jeff SwordsJun 20 2023, 10:33amThanks for the update Brian.
Brian SmythJun 20 2023, 5:11pmHi Folks , looking forward to Saturday’s races .
We could really do with some more volunteers for the halfish race .
We need helpers for Registration, the finish line , helping with refreshments , aid stations on the SBW route .
Even if you can only give an hour or two , all help is much appreciated and needed, and helps the event/s to run as smooth as possible .
Thanks to all who have volunteered so far .

Ya never know who you might meet or what you might take away from the day ; )

Thanks all
liz dwyerJun 20 2023, 5:28pmI’m running the half but I will help with registrations of you guys need someone! Just let me know a time
Brian SmythJun 20 2023, 10:04pmGreat thanks Liz . I’ll put you down as a running volunteer so .
Email with final details and times etc will go out to all volunteers over the next few days . Reg opens at 10am for the half so you will be time enough getting there for 9.30am .

Many thanks
Matthew BranchJun 21 2023, 1:06pmBrian, been speaking with Gaelan. Im arriving in the IMRA Munster Van after dropping off a few water tanks, tables and gazeebo en route. Hope to be there between 10.30 and 11.00 ish depending on travel
Matthew BranchJun 21 2023, 1:48pmI see there reg opens at 10 and closes at 11. I hope to be there at 10 then Brian.
Neil DawsonJun 21 2023, 2:24pmHi Brian
I am doing half, but will be there 8.30 ish, If Needed ?
Brian SmythJun 22 2023, 7:39pmThat’s Great , thanks a mill Matt
Brian SmythJun 22 2023, 7:42pmThanks Neil , do you want to sign up as a running volunteer on the race page , and I’m sure we can find something for you to help out with (prior to you catching the bus to the start line) . Most likely will get you to help out with parking .

Many thanks
Brian SmythJun 22 2023, 8:51pmFINAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SBW HALFISH 25KM RUNNERS:

The below is from the race page, with some additional info also:

25Km route along the Slieve Bloom Way, starting at Kinnity Trailhead and finishing at Clonaslee Trailhead. Approx. 500m of ascent overall on the route .

The route crosses forest tracks, farmland , road and single forest trails throughout. Please be mindful and respectful of any farm animals on farmland sections.

There is a strict leave no trace policy so please bring all of your rubbish with you and do not litter under any circumstances.

VERY IMPORTANT:
The route will only be marked in one or two locations where deemed absolutely necessary. Follow the YELLOW MAN posts all the way from start at Kinnity to the finish at Clonaslee Trailhead.

Keep an eye out for yellow man/yellow arrow signs at all times, they are plentiful on the route.

It is advised that those who have less experience on trail routes , should run with someone more experienced , or at a minimum have a gpx downloaded to your watch . We will only mark one or two sections of the half route , so it is important that runners remain vigilant for the slieve bloom way yellow man way markers on the route .

PLEASE NOTE: ROUTE IS 25KM TOTAL. IT IS NOT TRADITIONAL HALF MARATHON LENGTH OF 21KM

VERY IMPORTANT:
Mandatory Kit: Waterproof jacket , phone , water (refillable bottle) , food/energy source

It is advised to bring Hi-Viz/reflective upper outer layer (for road section near end of race)

Registration will open at 10am at Clonaslee community centre and close at 11am sharp in order to allow time for transfer buses to get to the start line at Kinnity . Please turn up early , as we cannot hold buses up for latecomers .

CAR PARKING: Please park at community centre , or as directed by marshals on the day . NO parking at Kinnity Trailhead . This is a small carpark and we need to keep it vacant for buses and local users .

ADDITINAL INFO:

-Tshirts : Are available for collection at registration for those who have purchased one through the online shop. No purchases on the day unfortunately.

-Remember ,
Your IMRA race number must be clearly visible on you.

-Expect warm weather conditions on Saturday . Fueling, hydration and sun cream are important .

-Buses will transfer runners to the start line at Kinnity Trailhead, and will start leaving from 11am onwards. Last departure will be at 11.20am sharp. Please board early and aim to be on one of the first buses if possible

-AIDSTATIONS FOR THE 25KM ROUTE: There will be an aid station at Cadamstown , approx 12km into the half route. There will be water refill option here and possibly some other goodies , but do not rely fully on the water here. It is advised that runners carry some water with them also . You will also pass the Glenkeen aidstation toward the end of the route (approx 4-5km from the finish line).

-RETIRING FROM THE RACE: If you are pulling out of the race please inform the race director on 083 0595560.

-Refreshments: At clonaslee community centre , approx 1km walk back through the village. Same place where you parked and registered.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day , and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you to the blooms.

Many thanks
Conor O KeeffeJun 23 2023, 8:33amHey Brian, my friend cannot race tomorrow is there a possibility that I can swap my name in for his? Thanks in advance. Conor
Brian SmythJun 24 2023, 12:03amHi Conor unfortunately not . IMRA don’t do transfers

Many thanks
Gaelan ElliffeJun 24 2023, 5:23am*Boil water notice in Clonaslee village*

Take note.

We have been busy the last couple of days arranging numerous water refill points about the Slieve Blooms external to the boil water notice.
Conor NolanJun 24 2023, 5:54pmMany thanks to the group who organised the SBW races and to the volunteers on the day. Really well done. The community centre was a great facility. Nice nosh and chats afterwards. I'd been looking forward to the 25k since it was announced and it didn't disappoint. Might have preferred the March date tho' :)
Hopefully they'll be back next year.
Rose PearsonJun 24 2023, 7:19pmIncredible race today! Great organisation on the bus runs... particularly enjoyed the sight of that last aid station with the jugs of water! Thanks to all those involved in the organisation!
Paul KellyJun 25 2023, 12:45pmHi All - A GoPro 9 was handed into the finish line yesterday. If anyone is missing it please email us on slievebloomwayultra at gmail . com
Aoife TunneyJun 25 2023, 1:43pmThank you to all the crew involved in yesterdays race . It was a fantastic day , great route really well marked …I needn’t have panicked about getting lost !!!!!
Plenty of refreshments at the aid stations which was much appreciated on such a hot day . Roll on next year
keith o brienJun 26 2023, 9:43amhey guys
great race at the weekend, fair play to all for organising, just looked at the half results there and for some reason im not on them, keith o brien, 1743, maybe my chip didnt register going over the mat ?
Mick HanneyJun 26 2023, 10:01amHi Keith,
What was your finishing time, even roughly.
Some rnners from other races had IMRA chips in their shoes crossing the line, so I removed these from results. Or, also if I didn’t see someone highlighted on the sign in sheets. There might have been a glitch registering your chip that wasn’t obvious to me at the time.
Apols we’ll get that sited.

Regards

Mick
keith o brienJun 26 2023, 10:38amyeah i had my own imra number and chip on, so my fault there,

i was 2.45.11 , i know there was a lady behind me, not much help and rachel nolan finished the ultra not far behind me if thats any help ..

thanks
Ronan CostelloeJun 26 2023, 12:47pmTo Brian & Team; thanks a million for all of your hard work in organising a brilliant race. I really enjoyed it. Everyone on the day was very friendly and helpful - this makes all the difference. Thanks again, Ronan Costelloe
Claire OgormanJun 26 2023, 2:16pmHi guys - I see also my chip time is incorrect (2841) . I have it as 3 hr 10 approx I was a little ahead of my friend who’s number was 2800.

Can my time be updated ?
Mick HanneyJun 26 2023, 3:28pmHi Claire. I recall your chip didn’t register crossing line line for some reason. Shall update result in due course, cross-checking vs manual results.
Adam BakerJul 12 2023, 12:21pmVANITY POST ALERT.....

Per chance are there any photos of runners in this?