Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galtee Challenge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
John OflynnAug 1 2023, 12:16pmGaltee_Challenge_22k_new_route_2023.gpx
David BosonnetAug 1 2023, 1:10pmThe GPX file for the route is available at https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2294619

There's a link to download a GPX/TCX further down the page.
David NolanAug 1 2023, 9:26pmMight have to get the poles out for that one!
Deirdre GalvinAug 1 2023, 9:50pmWill this be a marked route, similar to MMRA's other half-marathons?
Thanks in advance.
Gary HealyAug 2 2023, 11:16amDeirdre, no it wont be fully marked. There will be two summit marshalls - Galteemore and Carrigeen - and coming off Galteemore will be marked with bamboo to the sheep pens. Apart from that only main junctions will be marked. We recommend you avail of a recce and/or download the GPX file from the event page.
Deirdre GalvinAug 2 2023, 12:48pmOk, thanks for that. I will definitely need a full course reccie. I'd be mighty grateful to anyone 'in the know ' posting up if they are heading out on the full course. I'll bring jellies!
John OflynnAug 3 2023, 11:40amRec
9sm Monday
Kings yard
Slow pace 5hr ish
John OflynnAug 3 2023, 11:41am9 am
Sorcha KearneyAug 7 2023, 10:46pmToo late checking for recce details. Will there be another?
John OflynnAug 8 2023, 2:10pmI hope to do at least 2 more recce

This Saturday the12th and the following Saturday/Sunday
John OflynnAug 10 2023, 7:58pmRecce 9am Saturday kings yard
paul burkeAug 12 2023, 10:53pmHi is there anyone who knows route doing a recce next Saturday 19th?
John OflynnAug 17 2023, 1:54pmHi Paul
I will be doing a recce on Saturday Leaving
Kings yard at 9am
Sorcha KearneyAug 17 2023, 10:52pmI would be interested in joining you also if that’s ok?
John OflynnAug 18 2023, 1:55pmThe more the merrier Sorcha
Might be a bit wet and windy
Sorcha KearneyAug 18 2023, 2:53pmLooks like it! XD
John OflynnAug 19 2023, 1:23pmThe Galtee Challenge race will open for entry the day after the Galty Crossing so that there isn't any confusion with people entering for the wrong race. Entries will open 28th Aug and close 8th Sep. See you there!
John OflynnAug 28 2023, 11:09amThe Galtee Challenge is now open for registration. There are only 12 days to register so don't delay!
John OflynnAug 31 2023, 1:47pmNight recce
9pm kings yard
John OflynnAug 31 2023, 1:48pmSaturday 9pm
matthew mcconnellAug 31 2023, 6:13pmDoes anyone know. Do you have to book a site in kings yard to camp or do you just turn up? Thanks:)
John OflynnAug 31 2023, 10:46pmHi Matthew
I don’t know if you can rock up
You can contact Stephen or Bridget at 02584903
David NolanSep 3 2023, 7:27pmHi Matthew,

I was wondering the same as I working in mitchelstown Friday. Did you get any info?
Angeline DresserSep 4 2023, 12:55pmHi
Does anyone have a recommendation for which app is best for using the plotaroute gpx? In UK I usually open files with OS maps. When I’m here I have AllTrails but it doesn’t look like you can import gpx files. Is that right?

Also - I did the slieve bloom half marathon and had a small tracker which I’ve misplaced… does that mean I need to pay for a replacement chip timer or number or will there be new numbers and trackers for this race?
Many thanks
Angeline
Graham K. BusheSep 4 2023, 1:55pmHi Angeline,
(I'll reply here, so the RD can see it too)
If you purchase your replacement Chip and Number, you will be able to collect them at registration.
Please allow a bit extra time, and bring a copy of your Acknowledgement of Payment email (I'm sure a screenshot will suffice, once it has the payment ID)
Best of luck, and enjoy!
John OflynnSep 4 2023, 2:19pmWe have enough volunteers for the Galtee challenge now
Thanks to all who have volunteered
Stephen O KeeffeSep 4 2023, 2:45pmHi Angeline, We don't use chip timing for the races based in Munster.

We like to go old school with paper and pen!! :)
Angeline DresserSep 4 2023, 3:02pmHaha very good! Thanks Stephen
Angeline DresserSep 4 2023, 3:03pmI’ve realised I can use Komoot to open the GPX file :)
Maire O'SullivanSep 5 2023, 8:46pmAngeline, did you get that sorted? If not, the original route was done on All Trails and then migrated across as a GPX. If you want to look at it on All Trails its https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/county-limerick-trail-running-afab3e9
I did it as a hike, not a run, so it's slow but the route is the one the RDs wanted recorded for the race. Accuracy not speed :-)
John OflynnSep 6 2023, 10:18pmGood news about the parking - the maintenance works will not be in place this weekend so we can park up in King's Yard by the start/finish line. It means there won't be the long trek to the Loop Trail car park. If you're on the fence about signing up by tomorrow, you can now factor in 3k less on the legs :-)
Brian HouriganSep 6 2023, 10:22pmHi folks. Is anyone carpooling passing through the Limerick to Mitchelstown road?
matthew mcconnellSep 7 2023, 8:38amHi David, didn't get onto them in the end. Staying in a different campsite nearby!
John OflynnSep 7 2023, 2:19pmHi David
You can rock up but just tell them you are with IMRA
Martsje HellSep 7 2023, 2:53pmHey guys
We’ve a bit of travelling to do after the race so were hoping to start at 10am at the early start.
Can we just show up for that (we’ve entered) or do we need to contact someone to make this possible?
Thank you, Martsje
Angeline DresserSep 7 2023, 4:40pmThanks so much Maire!
Maire O'SullivanSep 7 2023, 5:51pmHi Martsje, that's fine for the early start. Just come to the registration desk/van around 9.30/9.45am so we can tick you off and do a kit check.
Bring plenty of water because its going to be a warm one.
See you Saturday
Simon DeasySep 7 2023, 9:17pmCan someone tell me what's mandatory for your kit?

I know you have to have the jacket for all IMRA events?
Anything else mandatory for this one?
Thx in advance, Simon.
John OflynnSep 7 2023, 10:15pmHi Simon
Full list of race kit will be listed on the race email being sent out tomorrow night
Simon DeasySep 8 2023, 4:48pmThx John
John OflynnSep 8 2023, 6:56pmInstructions for tomorrow's race has just been emailed out. Let us know if you didn't get it. Try your junk mail first though :-)
Brendan CollinsSep 9 2023, 5:04pmBig thanks to Johnny, Gary, Maire and team, it was a hot day for volunteers and runners alike, the ice cold refreshments were a very nice touch. Well done all.
Brian HouriganSep 9 2023, 7:48pmThanks for organising such an incredibly challenging but rewarding race all. Definitely found that harder than the Galtee Crossing with the humidity, heat and Cush!
Gavin RocheSep 9 2023, 8:07pmThanks for a great day today in the Galtees.
The route was very challenging and ye must have put hours of work into it.
The race directors and the team of volunteers were excellent today. From the cans of coke in Cush carpark to the lads that dragged the water to the top of galtymore it was well appreciated.
Angeline DresserSep 9 2023, 8:40pmThat really was a fantastic race. Thanks so much to everyone involved. Any aid station would have been a welcome sight but that is possibly the best aid station experience I’ve ever had!
Michael McSweeneySep 9 2023, 10:09pmThanks to Màire, Johnny, Gary and their crew of amazing volunteers. What a day. Phew!
Rob TobinSep 9 2023, 10:42pmThat was mighty. Chatting with others at the finish line the consensus seemed to be that this is as challenging a course as any. Those refreshments at the aid station at Cush car park and back at Kings Yard and the drop of water at Galtymore were all very welcome. Superb organisation and hospitality. Thanks to everyone involved.
Brian FlannellySep 10 2023, 11:25amResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Mariusz LuczakSep 10 2023, 8:00pmWell done to all runners.
I just created small album of photos I took on the day:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdziZ5zJtMb84KZX6
Nick HoganSep 11 2023, 8:53pmSimilar to Mariusz...a link to some pics from Saturday if anyone would like to download.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NugqfCSRxKW8ek1u5
Posted same to IMRA site a little earlier.
An incredible route matched only by a bunch of incredible runners. A sublime slog with smiles all the way...well done to you all!
Míle buíochas Johnny and Gary, and your very merry band of volunteers.
John OflynnSep 12 2023, 2:09pmThanks for all the good vibes gang
For the runners who took the starting line on a tough course in very hot conditions and the amazing volunteers who put an effort over and beyond what was expected a great big thank you from Gary,Máire and me

Who knows their might be another surprise next year on this route,!!!
Michael McSweeneySep 12 2023, 7:57pm"Who knows their might be another surprise next year on this route,!!!"

Friday night Crossing.
Saturday Challenge.
Sunday Galtymore Championship Race.
:-)