Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mountain Rescue Benefit Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gareth LittleJul 19 2023, 12:52pmFAO Ellen Hurley. Thanks for putting your name forward for FA officer but we have this role filled already by a mountain rescue medic.

I do need a laptop operator and registration/finish line/parking helpers, if you would like to put your name to one of them.

Thanks again,

Gareth
Ailbhe DonnellanAug 4 2023, 11:21amHello,

Is there an early start for this race? I didn't see it mentioned on the details page.

Thank you,

Ailbhe
Brendan LawlorAug 4 2023, 12:06pmHi

Yes we will have an early start at 7 for people over 160%
Ailbhe DonnellanAug 4 2023, 12:48pmThank you Brendan
Denis Mc glynnAug 9 2023, 11:20pmHi Gareth.
Do you need another volunteer for this race.
If so I am available
Denis mc glynn
Gareth LittleAug 10 2023, 11:58amHi Denis, yes please add yourself and we find a job for you.

I am now OK for volunteers for this race. Please have a look at the race calendar if you still need to volunteer this year. Thanks

https://imra.ie/events/?ImraOnly=1&FutureOnly=1&filter=yes&year=2023
Andy WalkerAug 11 2023, 10:51amThanks for accepting me. First time volunteering so hopefully be of some use!
Brendan LawlorAug 16 2023, 11:41amThe final Wednesday race of the year ,the Annual Mountain Rescue Benefit Race, is now open for entries.

If you can't make it please feel free to buy an entry to support Mountain Rescue.

More details to follow from Gareth but the format is as in previous years
Gareth LittleAug 17 2023, 8:15pmEvening all,

Thanks to all the volunteers who have signed up, to all those that have signed up for the race itself and also a huge thanks to IMRA for facilitating this now very longstanding event. Entries will stay open until the 23rd so still loads of time to sign up!

A few things to note for next week:

Registration will open from about 6pm at the Glen base. (Link below for directions)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SsgRRnWfuwfpLHTw8?g_st=ic

There will be an early start at 7pm for those over 160% of the winning time. Brendan Lawlor will be organising that.

There will be a junior/short course option. See photos tab for the map and details of that.

The junior race will start 5 mins after the main start at about 19:35.

There is no parking at the Glen base. Please use Trooperstown carpark about 400m away.

Please do not leave anything at the Glen base as this will be locked up after registration. The key bag will be at the finish line too.

There is about 900m uphill from registration to the start line so please allow sufficient time to get to your start. See photos tab for the map and details of that.

Prize giving will be at Kavanagh's Vartry House after the race where there will be prizes for the top 3 men and woman along with spot prizes and plenty of grub!

Lastly, if you are keen to donate but don’t want to take part in the race, feel free to sign up but not show up. Thanks to IMRA, 100% funds go to mountain rescue in Dublin and Wicklow, who are now seeing 100+ callouts per year on a regular basis and it’s events like these that help us keep the show on the road.

Thanks all

Gareth - RD
Andy WalkerAug 18 2023, 7:35amHi Gareth, first time volunteering as a helper - what time do I need to turn up? Thanks
Gareth LittleAug 22 2023, 8:41amHi all, entries close tomorrow at noon sharp.

@volunteers: mail will be sent out today outlining times I need you and roles etc.

Thanks

Gareth - RD
Rob TobinAug 22 2023, 12:35pmHi Gareth - looking at the map I'm wondering if the course is out and back this year, or does the uploaded map show the short course? I recall last year's course followed a clockwise loop from the stile on the Wicklow Way, with a right turn at Dry Hill and back via Brusher Gap. Looking forward to one more Wednesday evening on the hills. Thanks, Rob
Rob TobinAug 22 2023, 12:39pmGareth, apologies I've just spotted the note in your post from the 17th re: junior/short course and the map. I'll keep preparing myself mentally for that mad dash through the heather on Dry Hill. :D
Gareth LittleAug 22 2023, 9:02pmVolunteer email sent out. Check your junk if not in your inbox and let me know if you cannot see it at all. Cheers
Andy WalkerAug 22 2023, 9:52pmHi Gareth. Can't see anything, have checked spam... thanks Andy
Brendan LawlorAug 23 2023, 7:29amHi Andy, you are helping at Registration. If you can be at the Glen of Imall Rescue Base for 6pm that would be great. See you later
Andy WalkerAug 23 2023, 8:04amGrand, see you there. thanks
Brendan LawlorAug 23 2023, 8:46amLAST CALL

Entries for the final Wednesday race of 2023 close at 12 today. Looks like we will have a great turnout and a few final reminders :
-no parking at the MR base, please park down the hill as directed by marshals
- no headphones please
- jacket essential
-we are going back to Kavanaghs in Roundwood for food, pints, tea and coffee, prize giving, and the all important raffle

See you all later
Brendan LawlorAug 23 2023, 5:04pmUPDATE 2

Apologies but due to a mix up there will not now be food at Kavanaghs

But there will be pints and tea !
Niamh O'CeallaighAug 23 2023, 10:28pmThank you so much to Gareth, Brendan and all the organisation team for a fantastic friendly race tonight. Special thanks to the registration/laptop team who were super helpful.
Andy KeelingAug 24 2023, 7:38amThanks Gareth and team for last night. Nice fast course to end the wednesday nights.
Brendan LawlorAug 24 2023, 10:14amThank you to everyone who came along to the final Wednesday race of 2023 (or who bought an entry but didn't come along). Our volunteer team did a fantastic job and John has lots of great photos up on the site.

Apologies about the lack of food back at the pub. We had ordered food but it had slipped Joe Kavanagh's mind (he was at a funeral) and he was very apologetic about it all.

This fundraiser for Mountain Rescue has been going for over 15 years and has raised thousands of euro to support the two Mountain Rescue teams that operate in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains.

Gareth will update further re results etc

See you all in the hills soon
Brian KitsonAug 24 2023, 3:41pmThanks to Gareth and all the Mountain Rescue folk for another great season finale.

Report up.
Gareth LittleAug 24 2023, 8:51pmThat a warp for the Wednesday night racing. Thank you to all who supported the event and especially to the IMRA volunteers who were all superb.

See ya’s on the hills soon

Gareth
Laura FlynnAug 25 2023, 1:05pmThanks Gareth and all the helpers from IMRA and from Mountain Rescue. Nice to be supporting such a worthy cause. Well done to everyone who took part or contributed in any way.
Gareth LittleNov 7 2023, 12:37pmHi all,

I just wanted to update you on the total amount that was raised for both MR teams, which was €1,900!

Thank you again to all those that signed up, took part and helped out and to IMRA for facilitating.

Gareth