Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav Challenge 2 - Cooleys

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Stuart ScottSep 8 2023, 4:52pmHi all,

I'm delighted to announce that the second Nav Challenge will take place in the Cooleys on Sunday 22nd October (I'm surprisingly organised this year!). Start/finish is at the Windy Gap (J130 138) - which will either be windy or windy depending on the weather - and two courses ('Long' and 'Easy') will be available.

More details to follow nearer the time but put the date in your diaries! It's only 1hr15mins up the road so pretty much the same travel time as Glenmalure would be. It's a great opportunity to explore these thoroughly enjoyable mountains better and don't worry about the nav - the aim of the Nav Challenges is that the controls should be easy to find but choosing the optimal route between them is where the challenge lies. If you're still unsure, then why not team up with someone and do the 'easy' course together?

I could do with around 4-5 volunteers too please - a deputy RD, a first aider, two people to take controls in afterwards, someone with a loud voice to help with registration and someone with a campervan and cooking facilities to keep the RD amused :-)

Thanks and see ye then!

Stuart
Donal McMorlandSep 24 2023, 10:12amStuart, I'm available to take in the controls after the race
Mike LongOct 15 2023, 7:29pmStuart
Looking forward to the trip to the Cooleys next weekend.
How would you feel about revealing the coordinates which bound the area we will be running in similar to what Liam did for Nav Challenge 1?
Thanks for all the work.
Mike
Joe LalorOct 17 2023, 9:21am5 maps for this event still available, up on site shop shortly
Stuart ScottOct 19 2023, 10:02amRoll up roll up, entries now open for the second Nav Challenge in the Cooleys. Hope to see as mamy as possible of ye there! The Short/Easy course will be very runnable on open mountain tracks for the most part and controls will be in obvious locations. The long course will be a little more navigationnally challenging so hopefully something to suit everyone.

Mike, I'll reveal all later. But for now it's likely to be the area between the Windy Gap and Ballymackellett. It will be based on the new East West map so anyone not using one will be at a severe disadvantage.

I'm still in need of a first aider. Anyone able to help?

Thanks Donal, if you help collect some controls that would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Stuart
Mike LongOct 19 2023, 3:54pmThat is perfect Stuart Thanks
Stuart ScottOct 20 2023, 10:04amStill looking for a first aider please. The event can't go ahead without one...If you're short your two volunteering slots for the highly coveted End of Year prize this is a perfect opportunity!
Lorcan VallelyOct 20 2023, 12:00pmDon't suppose the new East West map would be available to buy on the day? Probably left it a bit late to order one online and get it delivered!
Cheers
Joe LalorOct 20 2023, 1:58pmHi Lorcan, any map ordered on line , before Sat evening,will be delivered by me to race start on Sun. Unfortunately no cash transaction possible.
Stuart ScottOct 20 2023, 11:18pmHi all. Controls are out and looking forward to seeing ye on Sun. Please note the updated race details, particularly the slight change in start location to the layby 400m north of the Windy Gap. Parking is limited so please carpool where possible.

I'm still in need of a first aider please.

Early start at 1030 if you need it. Courses close at 1500 and everyone must be off the hill by then.

Bring your own cup for the afters!
Niall GibneyOct 21 2023, 1:08pmHi Stuart
I’m not a registered 1st aider but could do it if you are stuck ? I did a basic 1st aid course recently through work . I’m actually entered for the race but would be happy to help out .
KEITH JOHNSTONOct 21 2023, 6:28pmHi, Are the East West maps online sold out? I can't see an option to buy one in the shop?
Joe LalorOct 21 2023, 7:24pmHi Caroline and Keith
# Caroline, do you still have that extra Cooley map
you bought in error?

# Keith, all supply of Colley map on site are gone, but you might be in luck, see above
Caroline ReidOct 21 2023, 7:32pmNo problem Joe, I'll bring the spare map long and leave it at the reg desk.
Stuart ScottOct 21 2023, 11:41pmThanks Niall, that would be great. I don't want you to miss out on your run but no other takers so far!
Alice ClancyOct 22 2023, 10:19pmA huge thank you to Stuart, Shane, Niall, Donal and Nora for a lovely day out in the Cooleys! Great course, weather, chats and food!!! Roll on Nav Challenge 3!
PS; Does ‘G-String Corner’ win a prize for the most memorably named control point of the Nav Challenges?….its up there with Handball Alley anyway!
Stuart ScottOct 22 2023, 10:51pmHi all,

Thanks to all those who came along today to endure the miserable Cooley sunshine and to the volunteers (Shane, Donal, Nora and most especially Niall for giving up his run to allow the race to go ahead).

Results are now up. Any issues let me know. Well done to Orla and Roisin on the Women's Long, John and Peter on the Men's Long, Alice on the Women's Short and Mike on the Men's Short. Peter, sorry I forgot to give you your voucher before you left; Joe has it for the next event.

If you can, please publish your routes to Strava flyby for (my) entertainment! There was a variety of route choices taken but no clear winner which was quite interesting.

Alice, yes, G-String corner did prove a bit elusive for some but I thought the nearby Windy Gap was best avoided!

Stuart
Niall GibneyOct 23 2023, 9:40amNo need to mention it Stuart ! Just glad my services were not required !! Well done everyone involved !
Brian FennessyOct 23 2023, 2:09pmHi Stuart
Thanks a million for organising another excellent nav challenge. Really really enjoyed the day. Big thanks to all the volunteers Donal Shane, Niall and Nora. What a great spread as well. Looking forward to the last nav challenge.
Róisín McDonnellOct 23 2023, 2:21pmHi Stuart and helpers thanks so much for a great event in the Cooleys yesterday.It was my first time up there and what a beautiful day to run around those lovely hills. Thanks a mill for organising
Joe LalorOct 23 2023, 2:40pmAfter two round of the NC races there are 7 runners
still in contention for Navigator of the Year, a genderless
title and inscription on the Mick Kellett Trophy. However Jonh Bell
will take some catching if he makes it to the start on on 4th Nov.

John Bell 3:22
Peter Forde 4:22
Orla McEvoy 4:50
Roisin McDonnell 5:10
Kevin O'Riordan 5:10
Stephen Lavelle 6:30
Paul Smyth 7:14