Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Brian KitsonJul 7 2023, 3:37pm“spicy and a bookies nightmare”
“the open route choice was so much fun”
“a cracker of a race”
“an entirely different challenge”
“the RD was winging-it”
“finish line beers went down well”*

Heads up, there are just four weekends to recce for the 2nd edition of the DARGLE FOUR PEAKS LEINSTER CHAMPIONSHIP RACE in Wicklow on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Like last year, the four peaks in this race (War Hill, Tonduff South, Maulin, Djouce) can be tackled in any sequence. The route you follow is entirely up to you: loop, figure-of-eight, direction, lines, peak sequence etc all these decisions are completely your call.
Race distances ranged from 14.7km to 18km last year, but distance isn’t everything, and it’s worth getting out in advance to plan the route that plays to your strengths and preferences.

This was the most popular championship race in Leinster last year, and as you’ll see from the quotes from those who took part, it is a race worth entering. The move to the August bank holiday opens it up even more taking part, so get after it.

*quote by RD.
Niall CorriganJul 7 2023, 9:15pmI’ve had a year to compose a report for this race so here it is. The map is not the territory.
Eoin PhelanJul 19 2023, 3:04pmHi,
Does anybody have a GPX file of last years race you could post here?
It would be really helpful for RECCE so I dont get lost.

Thanks,
Eoin
Andrew HanneyJul 19 2023, 4:39pmHi Eoin, the best way to not get lost is by getting out there and going over the route. As this is a non GPS race like all championship races, participants need to be able to navigate should conditions turn bad. Also, since this is a free route choice, you might find that people want to keep their route to themselves if their route worked for them..
Don't be put off by that... get out there on a clear day, thats a good start. Plenty of time left. All the best, Andy.
Conor NolanJul 19 2023, 4:49pmEoin, this may assist you ...
https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/184469/
Peter O'FarrellJul 19 2023, 4:55pmThe no time for recces route is clockwise Djouce War Hill Tonduff Maulin river WW to Shoulder of Djouce and back down to the fireroad you ran up initially.
It might even be the quickest!
Eoin PhelanJul 28 2023, 5:06pmThanks for the advice people. I have another question. As an area map is required for this race, can anybody tell me what the best map is to buy?
Thanks,
Eoin
Graham K. BusheJul 28 2023, 5:10pmHi Eoin, I would recommend EastWest Mapping WIcklow East 1:25,000
https://eastwestmapping.ie/product/wicklow-east/
Brian KitsonAug 1 2023, 8:41pmExcitement is building for Sunday, It's good to see plenty of folks getting their reccies in for this FREE ROUTE CHOICE CHAMPIONSHIP race

Whether you're a prepper or a winger, here are a few important odds and ends you should know::

ONLINE ENTRIES ARE OPEN: enter now before they close. They won't reopen and no entries on the day
EARLY START: 11am, MAIN START 12noon.(NB. main pier gates car park is c25min jog start/finish)
EVENT DETAILS: please read especially if you didn't do this race last year as it contains important information (check it out anyway because I'm ridiculously pleased with my HTML bold headings)
VOLUNTEERS: Could do with one or two experienced non-running heads; especially a summit marshal. If you have already signed up check your emails.
MANDATORY KIT: Waterproof jacket, Whistle, Race area map, Compass, Mobile phone (charged fully), bitta water & food.
Warren SwordsAug 4 2023, 9:59amRoll up, roll up for the last chance to enjoy an IMRA race in summer conditions this year*

Back by demand, the Dargle Four Peaks takes place this Sunday and the forecast is pretty good....seriously.

Once again, Brian Kitson is offering four mountain peaks for the price of one. Not only that, YOU decide which peaks to visit in what order.

Leave behind the tyranny of following IMRA's red tape and run free in the hills, like the wild deer of Wicklow. When it comes to route choice, an embarrassment of riches await.

Last year's race event saw not a single runner finish with the same distance. One runner managed to do it in a mere 14.7km, while another clocked in with 18km. But shortest may not be the quickest way.

Last year's description still applies.

"From the start, you immediately have to choose which peak to go to first. Head for the open mountain or follow in the footsteps of Wicklow Rounders and head up Djouce.

Do you pick the mountain less travelled or stick with the speedy descent along the Wicklow Way. As you make your choices, you'll see runners go off in all directions. Now is not the time to think of Aesop's Fable and ask "who is the tortoise and who is the hare." No, for you are a mountain goat, look upon my might calves ye mighty and despair!"

*Met Eireann are currently showing the sun and cloud symbol for Sunday's race with a tropical temperature of 15 degrees. Perfect hill running weather. And let's face it, you'd be mad to leave the house tomorrow given the forecast so perfect for a day resting those mighty legs and studying a map.

Entries close tomorrow at 6pm which means you can go to the pub tonight and talk yourself into entering
Niall CorriganAug 4 2023, 5:41pmLooking forward to this race on Sunday, to seeing if it’s possible to make even poorer route choices than last year. +3.5% of minimum distance, +189% of minimum time. Class.
Warren SwordsAug 4 2023, 6:51pmThat's the spirit Niall. We'll be carrying out a mandatory check on your watch at the finish. We have every confidence you can hit 4%!

Met Eireann forecast has improved significantly, radar now showing NO rain on Sunday for the race.

Of course Djouce has it's own weather system so still pack the rain gear .
Eoin PhelanAug 5 2023, 3:21pmWill there be volunteers at the top of each peak to mark your number down to prove you summited each peak? or how is this determined?
Brian KitsonAug 5 2023, 4:42pmLAST CALL: one hour or so left to sign up.

The current forecast suggests we'll enjoy relatively sunny conditions with some showers, thankfully the wind is easing off. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Needless to say, with the recent rain, extra caution will be required around streams and rivers which will be swollen. Use good judgment in your route choice.

Eoin, we rely on each runner to ensure they hit the correct spots on each peak. I hope to have a marshal on Tonduff. Their role is to ask each runner to confirm their name/number and remaining peaks. This is to help narrow down the search area if someone goes awry.

Park in Pier Gates car park and carpool with other runners to Registration at the start/finish area. Only full cars will be allowed park at the start/finish area.

Look forward to seeing you all in the morning.
Clare KeeleyAug 5 2023, 8:18pmThe very best of luck tomorrow Brian and all, this was a super event last year (sorry to be missing out this year) Fair play on the hyper links Brian, so tricky and frustrating to get right but just so so handy!! Clare
Jack FeeneyAug 5 2023, 10:31pmHi, I thought I'd registered for the race early but I looked again a few minutes and I'm not down as registered. Is there any way of registering now that it's closed off? Thanks for any help
Brian KitsonAug 5 2023, 11:14pmSorry Jack, would love to be able to add to the race but it is not possible once entries close.
Niall CorriganAug 6 2023, 4:25pmThanks to Brian and crew for a thoroughly enjoyable few hours hoping over heather and holes, scaring hares and lifting grouse. Great fun.
Andy KeelingAug 6 2023, 4:29pmWell done Brian and all the crew today. An open mountain race in its truest form. Hit those four peaks and come back here from whence yis started. Absolutely brilliant. And lovely to be handed a beer at the finish. Even lovely non alco wicklow wolf ones for us drivers. Great craic.
Peter O'FarrellAug 6 2023, 6:04pmJust to echo Andy comments - thanks Brian Olywn Warren Justin Mick Roman and Steven for for putting on a great race today. The free peak choice is a super twist on what would already be a fantastic race.

In my case of course extra special thanks go to the registration team for looking after my children and thanks again for that.

They'll be something similar available in terms of child minding at the last round of the very fine Leinster Championships 2023 up in Carlingford.
Brian KitsonAug 6 2023, 7:07pmPhew. Everyone seemed to have a nice time and got back in one piece. Job’s oxo.

A good team of volunteers makes the Race Directors job easy and I had a very easy day today. Huge thanks to Justin, Mick, Olwyn, Roman, Steven and Warren.

Thanks to Conor for getting the results up so quickly. Congratulations to Orla, Lesley Anne and Elaine for their fine podium finishes and to Brian, John and Adrian who finished within 90 seconds of each other on the Men’s side of things. It was great to see the variation of route choice among the winners; it’s what this event is all about.

Finally, thanks to all of you for coming out. I’m keen to capture any feedback you have on things you liked/didn’t like about the event or ideas to make it better in future. Feel free to email me at my fullname @ yahoo.com.

There are some great pictures already posted with more to follow (Warren’s epic shot of an epic finish line Gate Leap is an instant classic). I’d also appreciate Race Reports, you’ve a nice bank holiday to get writing…

What a cool day that was.
Brian FureyAug 6 2023, 9:24pmThanks Brian and volunteers for a great event. After one of the wettest July's on record and the deluge of rain we got yesterday I'm wondering did the duke of Rutland have a say in weather conditions. Anyways good conditions for the race, hard racing all around and great hospitality afterwards. It's a great race. Thanks again
Lesleyann WylieAug 7 2023, 12:19pmThanks for a brilliant race yesterday. Such an enjoyable day out from the chats about routes at the start, the camaraderie on the mountains as you passed each other and the finish line refreshments. Bunting was a lovely touch. Great chat at the end and I think the rain and weather just added to the sense of achievement.
Adrian HennessyAug 8 2023, 1:57pmReport up. Thanks Brian and team for a great day out.
Angela FlynnAug 8 2023, 5:35pmThanks a million to Brian and his team of helpers for a great race. Being chauffeured to the start line was an extra treat ( thanks Olwyn although, I rather suspect the lift was initiated by Brian to ensure I actually got to the start). ..This was my first time with this race and I think I enjoyed it - although I really never ever want to see the the top, side, back or front of Tonduff again- post race chats about the various routes taken were worth hanging around for as were the prizes and food. As a point of information -I stopped John Bell to chat (and hug) as I hadn't seen him running for so long and quite possibly cost him first place - soooo sorry John--
Martin CullenAug 8 2023, 8:13pmThanks to Brian and the team of volunteers. First open mountain race and really enjoyed the experience. The free choice of route is a added bonus. While running and everybody going different directions. You question is your route the correct one. The beer at the finish line was the icing on the cake.
Niall CorriganAug 9 2023, 10:43amReport submitted.