Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Summer

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Phil behanApr 27 2023, 9:09pmHello all. Howth is back in the headlines again. A very quick update on this year’s Howth summer race. This year we will be starting at the quarry on Windgate road and not Deerpark. This is due to access issues and planned works near the clubhouse in June. The good news is that we have the summit pub after, and the even better news (for some) is that we have designed a shorter 8.71kms super fast course with a few less twists and turns and a sprint finish from the mast thrown in for good measure. More details will be announced soon and the route might alter very slightly. For those who think this may be a tad short, unfortunately we are restricted on certain sections we can run in June. The junior course is also a very runnable near 5kms so please encourage any young runners to join the race also. Full details are on the event page and I’ll keep everyone posted here. I’ll need at least 7 Marshalls, laptop operator and first aider so please volunteer if you can to help it all go smoothly. Also please volunteer for any up and coming league races that look a little light on help.

Thanks all for now. Phil
Tim GrummellApr 28 2023, 11:51amThrowing out my opinion, 8k is a plenty long enough! If I remember correctly, the Leinster League use to have a hell of alot more shorter 5 or 6k race, however they were becoming too popular and attracting 300+, so one solution was to make the Leinster League races all longer and tougher ha, and that generally has helped limit numbers! The junior course of 5k is very important to have however it doesn't wildy cater for the older teenagers who want the competition of the full race, however the likes of 11k is just too much for many of them (who all only have one gear, balls out from the gun), so as a result I've had to tell afew of the juniors I'm coaching not to do the wed night LLs. Its a good complaint overall to have, that the LL is a victim of its own success, but perhaps the scope is there to look at a complete overhaul of the Leinster League ha? The alternative wed night runs actually worked well before, what about an alternative wed night novice Leinster League?
Alan AylingApr 28 2023, 1:12pm1. Phil - nice work, sounds great. Quality over quantity where the course is concerned. Length isn't everything <insert Beavis & Butthead snigger here>

2. Tim - some good points made, thanks. Not sure about yet another league though, we kinda have enough on already. Another league would mean more admin, more prizes to be organised etc.
The suggestion of overhauling the LL would be one for next year, but this year's committee will start the process of looking at next year's calendar. As it stands, what makes it into the league is largely governed by permits and availability of parking. It was easier years ago, we sort of just did what worked for us (anyone remember the parking at Sorrel Hill before we had the field? Not so much parking as abandonment). Now we live in the brave new world of regulation, permits and having to be environmentally responsible. As Beavis and Butthead would say, "This sucks" :-)
Phil behanMay 16 2023, 10:47amHi all

I'm short a fair few volunteers for this race. I'm looking for a First Aid, Laptop + Shadow, some help with Reg maybe 2 people (running volunteers acceppted) and at least another 5 people to help Marshall the course. Greatly appreciate any help as only a few weeks to go. Its easy to get to if you're Dublin based on the Northside in particular. If you cannot hep out at Howth please consider the next few races also.

Thanks
Phil
Phil behanMay 30 2023, 8:16amHi all, thanks again to all who have volunteered for this race. I'm nearly there but could do with 1 or 2 extra helpers to direct people to the carparks and also to the race start. If you do either of these roles you can run the race also.

Thanks again
Phil
Phil behanJun 5 2023, 6:02pmHi everyone. Quick few updates on Howth race. For all the latest details please read the event page. On parking - there are 2 suitable places both listed on the events page. Please carpool if you can as I cannot guarantee a spot in these car parks. The race start is a 5- 10 min walk from sing in which is at the summit pub so please arrive early to sign in. Sign in closes strictly at 19.00pm to ensure all those can get to the race on time. Please also take care crossing all roads over to the race start as I don’t have a team of volunteers to help stop traffic. I’m down a deputy director for this race so please bear with me on the night. There are plenty of Marshalls on the course and please try to follow the marked tape as best as you can. Any questions just let me know. Thanks all
Phil behanJun 7 2023, 3:13pmVery slight change to the course tonight so follow the tape and Marshalls. Parts of the course are overgrown so I’ve tried my best to cut as much back as possible. Bring hats and plenty of suncream. Remember the sign is at the summit pub and not Deerpark. All details including all locations for parking, sign in and race start are on the event page. Thanks all. Phil
Karl WalshJun 7 2023, 4:29pmHi is there somewhere to leave bag during race no valuables
Phil behanJun 7 2023, 4:38pmSure Karl. Just ask at the sign in and we will get you sorted !
Alan KennedyJun 7 2023, 10:54pmSuper race tonight. First time doing Howth and loved it. Thanks to Phil and the excellent team of Marshalls who had several crossovers to manage.
Alan AylingJun 8 2023, 12:47amTop notch job Phil & team. Marking and marshaling were excellent. Great route. Really enjoyable race.
#save Howth
:-)
Thomas DonohoeJun 8 2023, 8:41amthanks to all who put the race on, great evening!
Gill McLoughlinJun 8 2023, 10:03amThanks to Phil & his team of volunteers for a great race. Really well marshalled & marked.
Robert CostelloJun 8 2023, 10:51amWell done to Phil and the team on a well marshalled and marked route. It's been a while since I have run Howth and I was pleasantly surprised at the new route. I would suggest that it's more of a Trail League race than a Leinster League race though as the fast newly manicured trails and reduced elevation give less of a mountain race feel.
Jorgan StrathmanJun 8 2023, 10:57amI've added a few photographs there now from Shielmartin Summit. Should anyone desire originals in higher resolution, just shout. Great running yesterday everyone!
Phil behanJun 8 2023, 12:25pmThanks Robert. Comments noted. Happy to let the committee decide on Howth’s future. It could do well in the trail league as you’re right it’s more hilly than mountainous. Unfortunately, it looks like Deerpark is out for the next while so we might have to stick with the Quarry start again for the next while with slightly lower elevation. There are other options in Howth, but some would require road crossings or running along the cliff paths which logistically as a Race Director might be a nightmare. Thanks again and glad you enjoyed it.
Phil behanJun 8 2023, 12:31pmHuge thank you to all involved last night. A special word of mention to John Murray, Ivana Kolaric and Avril Challoner as without them this race would not of nearly as went so smoothly. Thanks to Jody Boyle also for invaluable expertise and listening to my rants pre race.
Thanks also to all the volunteers. An incredible amount of background work goes into putting these races on so please lend a hand if you can. We cannot survive without the good will of volunteers. Thanks again to all who competed. Results should be up soon. See you next year hopefully - #savehowth
Alan KennedyJun 8 2023, 2:16pmAs a Northsider originally my vote would be to keep Howth in the LL. Ardgillan ticks the box for the Trail League so at least there is one of each.
John LanganJun 8 2023, 7:49pmThanks to Phil and the team of volunteers for a great outing yesterday evening. A thrilling and varied course - I thought I'd entered hobbit land at one stage..... running along that narrow track :D

Jorgan, thanks for the pics, high res copies would be great - jlangan@tcd.ie (can't find a way to find your email on the site (not the most tech savvy!))
Conor O'FarrellJun 8 2023, 9:12pmHi All

What a great night out in Howth. A super fast race(for some anyway), with some tough climbs on it. I found it very tough myself. Thanks to Phil and his crew of volunteers.

We had a bit of disaster with the chip timing, so we had to revert to manual results. The order is correct, but some times may be out. I did try to adjust some times based on what I could find on Strava, but I can only alter the times so much before everyone gets out of order.

If it bothers you that much, send me a link to your race on Strava and I can try to fix it, but make sure that the run is shared as public, so I can compare via flybys to be fair on everyone. Also, remove any hidden starts/finishes to the runs too.

Queries to results@imra.ie

Thanks
Con
REBECCA CAROLANJun 9 2023, 12:28pmThanks Phil & team for a super race, the legs are definitely still feeling it! Do we pick up the category prizes at the next race? I couldn't hang round Do don't know if they were given out or not?
Phil behanJun 9 2023, 1:52pmYeah I couldn't do category prizes on the night due to an issue with the laptop as per Connor's message above. Prizes below can be collected at the next Leinster League race which is Djouce ( Ayling Abyss) on Wed 14th June.

Gareth Little M40
Richard Leahy M50
Ciaran O'Sullivan M60
Jim Durham M70
Patsy McCreanor M80

Daniela Boehm F40
REBECCA CAROLAN F50
Dee Bohan F60
Ger Power F70

Thanks all
Phil
Hazel ThompsonJun 9 2023, 2:14pmHi Phil,

I don’t know about other categories, but Patricia McLoughlin was 1st F40. You need to take the mid age categories into account also.

Regards,
Hazel
Conor O'FarrellJun 9 2023, 2:44pmThanks Hazel, that is correct.

Category prizes as below:
F40: Patricia McLoughlin
F50: Rebecca Carolan
F60: Dee Bohan
F70: Ger Power

M40: Alan Ayling
M50: Alan Kennedy
M60: Ciaran O'Sullivan
M70: Jim Durham
Phil behanJun 9 2023, 2:45pmApologies all my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out Hazel. Well noted for next time.

Corrected below

Alan Ayling M40
Alan Kennedy M50
Ciaran O'Sullivan M60
Jim Durham M70

Patricia McLoughlin F40
REBECCA CAROLAN F50
Dee Bohan F60
Ger Power F70
Jorgan StrathmanJun 9 2023, 3:17pmNot a bother. I fired the originals over to you there now, John.
Val JonesJun 9 2023, 9:58pmHowth has always been a bit tougher than the typical trail races like devil's glen, Earl's drive, glen of the downs. Good to see sheilmartin back in the course. A possible change to make it tougher would be to go straight up to the top from Carraigbrack Road. That was a descent which we did twice the first time I did it. (When we crossed the golf course to ugly stares from the golfers)