Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sugar Bowl

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganMar 28 2023, 12:57pmHi all,

I'm RD seeking for this May race.

Thanks - Lillian
Martin BagnallMay 18 2023, 5:33pmThanks very much to all those who have volunteered, I'll be sending out finalised instructions to you early next week.

I have enough volunteers now. If you want to volunteer please take a look at the events page, plently of races coming up so there's plenty of opportunities to volunteer.

The events page for the race is now updated with some more race / registration details, any questions please shout.
Eamonn PhillipsMay 21 2023, 11:27pmHi Martin. I am new to IMRA. I am trying to enter the sugar bowl on Wednesday. I have logged in to my account. Clicked on the sugar bowl race however there is no option to enter the race. Might be me however any help appreciated. Eamonn
Alan AylingMay 21 2023, 11:32pmThe answer is lurking the small print on the race page Eamonn.
Entry opens Monday morning, 9 am. You should see s Purchase Event Entry button once it's open.
Mikey FryMay 22 2023, 10:54amSimply amazing Alan :)
Karl WalshMay 22 2023, 6:48pmHi is there barbecue at this race ?karl
Kevin O'RiordanMay 22 2023, 8:52pmHey Karl, no, the barbecue will be after the Troooperstown race this year. There's an event page for it here: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/2402
Martin BagnallMay 22 2023, 9:23pmNo BBQ but there will be food at the post race prizegiving & raffle.
Martin BagnallMay 24 2023, 9:47amSome reminders for runners

Online entry closes today at 12:00pm.

The race for both routes begins at 7:30pm.

The start point for Junior/Short Route is 1.3K further away from the Senior start so please arrive early to allow time to get there if you intend running that route. Marshalls will accompany runners to the Junior/Short Route start point, leaving Plucks at 6:50pm.

Please note that both routes intersect and overlap at points - ensure that you follow the tape and markers that relate to your route and follow instructions from Marshalls.

Enjoy the race!
Alan KennedyMay 24 2023, 10:03amWas up there this morning with Derek as I can’t make tonight and Graham has it all marked out already. Those intersections could be fun. Great evening for it, enjoy and hope all goes well Martin.
Graham K. BusheMay 24 2023, 10:57amSugarloaf Long Course
Start where the Sugarloaf Way leaves the Glencap road. (the road to the GAA pitch)
Follow the Sugarloaf way passing through 2 (opened) gates and up to the metal barriers between the 2 walled fields. Turn left at the end of the field. Marshal 1 will direct you straight up the motorcycle track. Veer right up to the top of the mound. Drop down and up a bit to Marshal 2 (where the bike track meets the Sugarloaf Way again) Turn left up onto the mountain, climbing the grassy path as it turns slightly right. Keep right at the junction, following the technical path around the western side of the mountain. Marshal 3 will be where this trail meets the Sugarloaf Way again. Turn left, and now the serious fun begins as you start the climb to the top. Follow the tape around to the main trail. When on the main trail to the summit KEEP LEFT! Marshal 4 is just up over the brow of the first steep climb. KEEPING to the LEFT side of the path climb around to the cone so you are coming up from the Dublin side. Cross the top where Marshal 5 will be waiting to greet you. Descend the western side. Follow the tape down. This means runners should not meet head-on, and No runners should use the walkers path up the middle.
Once off the cone, head down the wide trail in the direction of the carpark, passing Marshal 6 on your way. Where the main trail levels off prepare for a sweeping left turn. You will be treated to a nice runnable grassy stretch. After the short steep drop, and stream, keep right. Twist and turn through the gorse and ferns. Cross another stream and a mucky patch. Resist the temptation to jump out onto the gritted track. When you do eventually meet the trail, follow this all the way to the GAA pitch. Choose your spot to sprint past that runner just in front of you. It’s a nice fast descent, but the last 500m are a killer!
Enjoy!

Short course/ Junior Route.
Walk up to the steel barrier between the 2 fields (approx. 1.3km from start) in the opening just after the field is your starting point Marshal 1. Follow the Sugarloaf Way trail (tape and Way marker posts) When you reach marshal 2, turn right to stay on the Sugarloaf Way. Follow this all the way around and up to Marshal 3. Turning slight right, continue along the trail around to marshal 6. Cross the main trail and follow the narrow path down the eastern side of the mountain. This eventually joins the gritted track, which you will follow all the way to the GAA pitch. Though mostly on trail, this route also has fast grassy and challenging technical sections too.

Best of luck to everyone tonight.
g
Martin BagnallMay 24 2023, 12:17pmThe map on the Maps page shows both routes and the Marshall locations that Graham has described.
Róisín MossopMay 24 2023, 9:32pmHello,

I just wanted to let the organisers know that I gave the incorrect bib number on the line.

My number is:
Details
Race No:2992
Category:F

And I incorrectly said 2292. Apologies for this.

Thank you for a lovely evening and great organisation.

Róisín Mossop
Conor O'FarrellMay 25 2023, 12:39amHi all

Results now up. Any queries, email me at results@imra.ie.

Roisin, I have you in there, even though you pipped me by less than a minute. ;-)

Some race. Thanks to Martin and the volunteers. I don't remember these league races being so hard.... Maybe I've not been doing it right!

Con
John CollinsMay 25 2023, 9:10amGreetings from Mallow

Way to go all! Well worth the trip from Mallow. A great tribe; really friendly, competitive and non stop honest racing. Thanks to Ms Brady for sharing the donkey work to the summit. Not an inch given. “Please & Thank you” when overtaking & being overtaken. Thanks to my long distant Kilcoole “cousin” for the taxi service to get my jeep key!

See y’all soon DG
Paul MahonMay 25 2023, 9:41amWell done Martin and Team for a great race last night .
Particular thanks to Graham Bush for the efforts in marking out 2 routes so clearly.
The CW ascent to and descent from the top was a great idea and made overtaking on the descent easier ........... unless you were trying to get past Ben Mooney's sharp elbows of course ;-)
Brendan LawlorMay 25 2023, 9:45amThank you to Martin and team for another great race last night. The upper slopes of the Sugarloaf don’t get any easier!
Sarah BradyMay 25 2023, 10:17amThanks Martin, Graham, Patricia, and all the other volunteers for a lovely and challenging race! And it was great running/crawling with you, John. :D
Martin BagnallMay 25 2023, 3:45pmThanks very much to all of the volunteering team, superb work by everyone for last night's race. Special thanks to Graham for an amazing marking job covering 2 race routes.

Well done to Peter & Sarah on their race wins, to Gordon for his 400th race and also to those who completed their first IMRA race last night.
Martin BagnallMay 25 2023, 3:50pmRóisín, I must have given you an incorrect race number. Bring it along to the next race you do and it can be changed for the correct one.
Dave DochertyMay 25 2023, 5:35pmThanks to Martin and crew for fantastic night out. Great work on the course Graham, l was so relieved when we popped out of the ferns and realised the kamikaze down hill didn't need to be ran. Thanks to Andreas for the llift home.
Eimear DeeganMay 26 2023, 5:51pmThat's a great race report from Eddie Hodge