Irish Mountain
Running Association

Tinahely

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Seán HigginsJun 2 2023, 10:25amThe 2nd Tinahely race is coming up in 2 weeks Saturday June 17th. The long course is 14.5km +600m elevation gain and the short course is 4.5km +220m elevation gain.
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2272047?units=km
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2272025?units=km
We have parking at the start kindly provided by the Coogan family at Kyle B&B and a lively little pub in Knockananna for prize giving and refreshments.
Last year held in April we had 58 runners with Matthew McConnell and Caroline Harney taking the honours and Dearbhail Cuddy blazing a trail on the short course.
Looking forward to welcoming runners and of course volunteers a lovely little corner of Wicklow.

ps. there is more bite than you might expect from these modest hills.
Alan AylingJun 2 2023, 11:14pmWill there be a "long," course like last year? ;-)
Seán HigginsJun 3 2023, 7:36amI’ve organised a sheepdog this year Alan to keep everyone in the right flocking direction!
Niamh KellyJun 12 2023, 2:55pmHello everyone,

Race day is just around the corner, and we are in urgent need of volunteers. In particular, we are desperately seeking a first aider, as the race cannot proceed without one.

If you have some free time and enjoy participating in these races, we would greatly appreciate your assistance. Without volunteers, races cannot proceed, so your help is vital.

Thank you
Richard FoxJun 12 2023, 4:17pmI’ll do first aid Niamh. I have a Sports First Aid cert issued 15/10/2022.
Cheers
foxy
Seán HigginsJun 12 2023, 4:51pmThanks Richard
Niamh KellyJun 12 2023, 7:20pmThat is brilliant, thanks so much
liam kennyJun 12 2023, 7:42pmSorry just see foxy down there first Sean I'll do what ever is needed just let me know
Seán HigginsJun 12 2023, 8:11pmThanks Liam, we’ll get you down on registration anyway
Seán HigginsJun 13 2023, 12:47pmEntries opened for Tinahely this morning.
Mick HanneyJun 13 2023, 8:12pmThis is a super event on a less frequented hill in south Wicklow. Runners of leg 7 last weekend will be familiar with aspects of it, albeit in the other direction. It has a mean starting climb, which makes for a lovely finishing descent. Last year some people availed of some extended ad hoc route options ;-). The pub afterwards in Knockananna is a treat.
Richard FoxJun 15 2023, 3:14pmWonder what it’s like to run in the rain? Looks like there’ll be a wonderful Evian mist available in Tinahely on Saturday to invigorate, energise, revitalise and renew the sunburnt masses over a great course. Can’t wait
Hehehe
foxy
Seán HigginsJun 15 2023, 5:41pmA lovely warm bit of rain forecast to cool the jets!
Alistair HodgettJun 15 2023, 10:07pmCarpool up if anyone needs a lift for Saturday.
liam kennyJun 16 2023, 2:26pmSean what time you want volunteers on site in morning
Seán HigginsJun 16 2023, 3:08pmLiam 9am meet up for volunteers. I’ll pop you off an email soon as I get a chance.
Mick HanneyJun 17 2023, 2:49pmThe rain was coming down in bucketloads beforehand, but it cleared before the start. Lovely run around the hills of Tinahely and Ballycumber. Route has a bit of everything. From the post-race chat it seems like lots of alternative routes were run, including some who did an extra loop (not easy!) into the bargain. Lovely grub back in the pub in Knockananna.
Andy KeelingJun 17 2023, 3:59pmI had a great run even if I, and a few others, did chose to go a more Avant-garde route. Still glad I made the trip down to deepest darkest Wicklow. Perhaps I'll recce beforehand next time :). Big thanks to Sean and all the crew.
James H CahillJun 19 2023, 3:41pmThank you Sean and all the volunteers for a great morning in the hills of Tinahealy. It is a great route, with a bit of everything (and even more of everything for the navigationally challenged among us). Great race and great grub afterwards. Thank you.
Alan AylingJun 20 2023, 12:16amGreat race report Rob!!
Rob TobinJun 20 2023, 8:13amRace report up. Thanks to Seán and all the volunteers for putting on a very enjoyable race on Saturday.
Aubrey O'NeillJun 20 2023, 1:11pmI am definitely looking forward to this one next year! It really did have a bit of everything. Was wonderful when we got out of that mist and saw the clouds clearing over the hills. I can only apologize for puking all over your lovely course and not finishing Sean! Looking for redemption next year!

Massive thank you to Perer Cannon who stopped to wait with me and gave some water to get me going again (even if it did come back up on the next downhill!).
Peter CannonJun 20 2023, 1:42pmThanks Sean and Co for a lovely misty run on those hills. Its hard to believe we ran along those wind turbines and didn't even see them.

No worries Aubrey, you didn't exactly slow me down. Hope you're feeling better. Till next year.. P
Seán HigginsJun 20 2023, 2:56pmThanks to all the runners who despite the weather made the journey to this little corner of Wicklow.
We are finding our feet with the race but I think we have a good route and with a few tweaks eg a marshal at the second stile (I'm obviously a slow learner!) it can be a strong event. We might even have some consistency with the distance runners actually cover at the end. Apologies if my marking lead to some unwanted adventures! It was great to see some new faces to IMRA and trail running I hope you return to the hills soon.
Thanks to Niamh and Paul from the South East League who have been a great support and a guiding hand for the race. Thanks to volunteers Foxy, Liam Kenny, and Mick Hanney for putting themselves forward and making it happen. Hugh and Margaret Coogan from Kyle B&B are very obliging and welcoming hosts for registration and parking much appreciated. Sarah from O'Keeffes pub fed us well and provided a great post race location for a bit of banter afterwards. My wife Nicki, son Darragh and sister Yvonne put up with me giving them orders and jobs to do, I owe them a debt.
Well done to all the runners and I was relived to see people in good spirits afterwards, despite some doing extra hills and kms.
Aubrey we started in a cowshed I don't think you need worry about decorating the hills, I hope you're feeling better.
Rob we have your prize you can email me at rathsean@gmail.com and we can arrange something.
Mick HanneyJun 20 2023, 9:37pm@Sean - I could be mistaken but have you uploaded last years photos to the event alongside this years - I don't remember it being that sunny on Saturday :-)
Seán HigginsJun 20 2023, 10:25pmAh yeah Mick, I had uploaded them a week or two ago. Last years were lost on the site because the site crashed at one point and photos and forum messages were lost. I didn’t think they would get associated with this years race.
Rob TobinJun 20 2023, 11:09pmSeán, that's great news. I've emailed you there. It was a mighty morning in the mist. Thanks again for organising.