Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mangerton

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
John CollinsMay 11 2023, 10:29amGreetings from Mallow all,
I'm but a very green greenhorns at this fantastic pursuit; my query is does IMRA and or others organise orienteering / navigation / not getting lost seminars / courses / tutorials et cetera please?
I'd be very interested if such a class could be organised!
Kindest Regards. John Collins MRCVS
Stuart ScottMay 11 2023, 12:55pmHi John, IMRA occasionally organises nav training sessions but these are mainly in Wicklow. If you're up this direction you could try Paul Nolan, a former world mountain runner and orienteer, and now a first aid and mountain skills instructor (https://1stepmore.ie/). I'd also highly recommend Declan Cunningham who's been known to frequent Mallow...he's a former mountain rescue team leader, mountain trainer and hill runner (skills4hills AT gmail.com). Or check out orienteering.ie for some practical experience. Nothing beats getting lost (in a controlled manner) for learning how not to! Either way, I'd recommend doing a full Mountain Skills course at some point (with Paul or Declan or indeed anyone else accredited by Mountaineering Ireland). Not only will you learn how to navigate but you'll also pick up important safety and wilderness first aid skills (how to deal with hypothermia, clothing, steep ground training etc.) which hopefully you will never need, but always better to be prepared.
Brian KitsonMay 11 2023, 6:13pmI can second that recommendation for Declan Cunningham; he’s a top bloke who has led or taken part in big adventures to Himalayas, greenland, alps etc. He’s recently relocated to Mallow. His work number is 086 602 8639
John CollinsMay 12 2023, 11:43amThank you Brian & Stuart. Pat Falvey (mountaineer) told a good friend of mine, Paul Birchall (Pi Cycles Mallow and a superb athlete) that "everyone needs to find their tribe in life". Could it be that I've found mine in the very same wilderness from whence I came??? it sure looks like it!!!
Ali HallMay 25 2023, 1:38pmHi there

I'd like like to volunteer to help at this race, I've done a few of the races, but not volunteered as yet. Is this the best place to offer my volunteering services?

Thanks

Ali
Graham K. BusheMay 25 2023, 2:31pmHi Ali,
IMRA loves volunteers, so thank you.
You'll get to see a whole other side of this great sport.

By giving some of your time, others will get to enjoy the hills and trails.

When you log in, go to the event page, scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will see all the volunteer roles.
Clicking on "Role" brings you to a link describing that role.
Clicking on "Volunteer" adds your name to the list of volunteers for that event. The Race Director can then Accept your offer.

Best of luck. Volunteering is also very enjoyable.
g
Ali HallMay 25 2023, 4:07pmPerfect, thanks for explaining that Graham, I will go and try it now. Cheers
Michael CollinsMay 28 2023, 6:43amHi, when do you expect entry for this race will open? Thanks.
Robbie WilliamsMay 28 2023, 8:19am1 week before so it will be tomorrow
Michael CollinsMay 28 2023, 9:22amThanks
Tom O ConnorJun 2 2023, 12:44pmI seem to be having trouble with the Google maps link to the start point. Is anyone else experiencing difficulties?
Michael McSweeneyJun 2 2023, 1:09pmTom,
If you drive to the Muckross Park Hotel, take the small road up alongside the hotel carpark, Mangerton is signposted from there. Its not too far up.
Micheal.
Robert CunninghamJun 2 2023, 1:23pmCormacs Haggard
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FY43KutBXhkQXFUCA
Stephen O KeeffeJun 3 2023, 11:39amWhat time should volunteers arrive.

Given the weekend and weather, I'd say Killarney and roads to killarney will be busy
Patrick KissaneJun 3 2023, 12:10pmThere's a bike parade for the bikefest starting on muckross Road at 11am. Its doing a lap in the town. The turn after glenflesk on the cork road for lough Guitane is probably best option for most.
Stephen O KeeffeJun 3 2023, 10:32pmI'll be heading down for around 10am. Is that ok or too early for volunteers.
Maeve O'GradyJun 4 2023, 3:51pmThanks a million to Eddie and the volunteers for a great day out in beautiful surroundings!
Brian MullinsJun 4 2023, 7:25pmDante’s Inferno was on show today at the Munster Championship. I signed up for this at around 5.55pm Saturday evening as I thought it would be a nice outing and sure the heat wouldn’t be too bad. It was worse! No midges or ticks to worry about though so there are always positives!!

Thanks to Eddie and all the volunteers today as given the weather I’m sure a beach or a beer garden were a lot more tempting than watching the suffering on display. Good auld battle with Sean who just seemed to easily drift away into the distance along the flat section half way up. A great outing nonetheless, well worth being baked alive for and congrats to Sean and Ellen on the wins.
Brian FlannellyJun 5 2023, 9:03amResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie