Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carrauntoohil

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganMar 23 2022, 10:33amHello all,

On with a brief note for this one. Finalising a safe runnable race route on Errigal this year proved a tad tricky despite all our best efforts. Planned upgrade works about the area will hopefully give us more options for next year (we hope).

For now - Carrauntoohil on June 4th will kick off the Irish Championships this year. We have reduced from 5 ICs to 4 with 3 to score.
Julien Roger Albert MORELMay 12 2022, 12:15pmHi all,

is Carrauntoohil June 4th going ahead ?
When will we get the details of the race route ?

Cheers
Julien
Lillian DeeganMay 12 2022, 12:23pmHello Julien,
Yes, the Carrauntoohil race is going ahead. RD Vivian is currently working out the last of his event day details.

Will you keep an eye on the June 4th event page for updates.

Thanks, Lillian
Julien Roger Albert MORELMay 18 2022, 8:28amThanks for that.
Looking forward climbing the big mountain
Julien
Vivian O'GormanMay 28 2022, 2:58pmHi Folks,

Just putting a shout out for more volunteers. Laptop Operator - First Aid
and Summit Marshalls...

The Events page will be updated shortly...
Lillian DeeganJun 1 2022, 10:19amMorning everyone,

On to bump this one up the forum. We have the 1st of our Irish Championship races this coming Saturday. I'm looking to see can we get a few more volunteers to give RD Vivian a hand on race day.

Thanks- Lillian
Vivian O'GormanJun 1 2022, 3:20pmHi Folks,

I am still looking for volunteers...

Summit Marshall and Laptop Operator....

Running Volunteers for race registration...

And 2 non running for the finish....

Please read the events page for Kit requirement and the online closing
time - Friday at 11.00am...

I will post more information tomorrow....
Brian FureyJun 1 2022, 3:23pmIs it online entry into vivian or are you accepting vouchers?
Vivian O'GormanJun 1 2022, 4:23pmYes Brian vouchers will be accepted...
Julien Roger Albert MORELJun 1 2022, 10:30pmHi all,

Any early bird start for slow people like me ?!
On previous years we could start at 12 or 12:30, if I recall it well.
Thanks for your feedback
Looking forward saturday.

Julien
Vivian O'GormanJun 2 2022, 8:52amHi Folks - Race Info...

The Race starts at 1pm

Race Registration will open at 11.00am and close at 12.30 SHARP. Vouchers will be accepted or you can Pre Register online BEFORE 11.00am on Friday morning.

If you have recently joined IMRA them you can collect your race number at registration. Just have proof of purchase with you either on your phone or print out.

No money will be taken at race registration and NO entries will be taken on the day.

The Early Start is at 12.00pm - please let me know if you are doing this .Also have a stopwatch with you to take your race time and give this to the race official at the finish.

Kit Requirement: A longsleeved rainproof jacket ( mandatory) - Hat/Gloves - Bumbag with biscuits/chocolate whatever suits you - Water - Map - Compass - Whistle - Mobile Phone ( Charged!) You can print out the map on the events page...

Remember if you have a problem during the race use the mobile number on the back of your race number . RING this number DON'T text!! This will go straight to my phone.

This is not a beginners race. Please do not make this your first mountain race. Try an easier shorter Wednesday night race first..

This race is NOT suitable for Juniors...

There is absolutely NO parking on the road it is just too narrow. We have a car park for 3 Euro per car. It will be clearly marked. You can carpool from the Climbers Inn...

Prizegiving will be in the Climbers Inn.

Don't forget pre entry closes at 11.00am on Friday morning...
Phil behanJun 2 2022, 9:29amMorning all

I signed up for this but a foot injury has returned so will need to bow out. Maybe next year. Best of luck Vivian.
Rob ClearyJun 2 2022, 9:54pmI can't seem to find my race timing chip, how to get a new one?
Julien Roger Albert MORELJun 2 2022, 10:29pmHi Vivian,

Race number 2277, I'll take the early start - 12pm.

See you on saturday

julien
Vivian O'GormanJun 2 2022, 10:44pmHi Rob - you don't need it on Saturday. We won't be using chip timing...
Sam ScrivenJun 3 2022, 3:17pmHi. Has the deadline for registration passed? Is it still possible to race if you have a voucher?
Lillian DeeganJun 3 2022, 3:38pmHey Sam, great to see your hoping to hit this one.

The online window closed at 11 this morning. RD Vivian is on the road to Kerry at the mo.

You will get to use a punch to enter in the am at Reg. time.

Good luck out there. Here's hoping ye get an ok weather one below :)
Sam ScrivenJun 3 2022, 4:08pmGreat (phew!). Thanks Lillian
Damien McDonnellJun 3 2022, 7:00pmHi i am looking for lift to race tomorrow morning from Kilarney train station, arriving in at 10.20am if anyone can accommodate much appreciated thanks. Damien my number is 0871333515
Simon DugganJun 4 2022, 5:27pmThanks and congrats to Vivian and his team for a great day out. That was a tough jaunt for the summit marshal. I certainly exceeded my sandwich quota in the Climbers Inn. They were worth the trip alone.
Vivian O'GormanJun 4 2022, 9:55pmThank you to ALL my volunteers today. Especially to Lisa for
summit marshall on Carrauntoohil and John Carey on Caher.
They were needed today!!
And Keith for the canopy to keep us dry when it rained!!!
It was a great despite the weather...
Maire O'SullivanJun 4 2022, 10:38pmThank.you to Vivien and all the volunteers today. A really fantastic day out. Huge thanks to @Julien Morel who guided me to the summit and back to the ridge on my first outing. The kindness of trail runners!
Brian FlannellyJun 5 2022, 4:13pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Julien Roger Albert MORELJun 5 2022, 10:43pmThank you all for a fantastic day out. Special thanks to all the volunteer and Vivian for a beautiful race. Love the spirit as always ! See you next year
raymond smithJun 5 2022, 11:54pmMany thanks to all the volunteers especially John and Lisa. By the time I got to the summit conditions were really grim and it was great to know they were up there in support. I actually needed my compass at one point , always follow the kit list eh!
RuairĂ­ LongJun 6 2022, 6:12pmThanks to Viv and all for the hard work, especially to Lisa/John for getting hit by the rain!
This should be a bucket list race for any Irish hill runner....
Conor MurphyJun 7 2022, 10:39amFully agree with the bucket list race comment above. As I've posted elsewhere, IMO the IC race to the highest summit in the island is our World Cup Final, Super Bowl and Tour de France.

As always, a memorable day. Thanks so much to Vivian and all the volunteers, it is so appreciated. When I think of all volunteering jobs, stuck in a remote valley with patchy phone coverage on the far side of the Reeks, battling midges, that takes particular dedication.
Brian FureyJun 7 2022, 12:48pmThanks to Vivian and volunteers for organising the race and marshals for enduring the conditions up high. Always a great day to touch the cross
Stuart ScottJun 8 2022, 12:22pmThanks everyone for yet another 'classic' Carrauntoohil race, albeit without the heat this year! Special thanks to Vivian for making it happen, and Lisa and John for braving the elements. Ye were vital to making sure everyone made it back down successfully. John's photos show just how quickly conditions can change - I also had the map and compass out too after being enticed by the Devil ('s Ladder)!

Well done Ruairi and Roisin on your respective wins. I was especially sickened when I saw Ruairi speeding down Caher as I was struggling up it knowing how much further I had to go :-)