Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Glacier Lakes (Relay)

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
John BellApr 19 2022, 10:52pmOnline entry for this event should open soon. Pre-entry approval is required as per the event page and below.

This is a Long Distance Open Mountain Unmarked Race. Every runner must have experience of navigation and must be able to use a map and compass. For pre-entry approval please send an email to the race director - jbell@outlook.ie - with the following details:
- Outline your ability to navigate in an open mountain setting, this could include at least 2 mountain races involving similar navigation;
- Names and IMRA age category for each leg runner so we can calculate your bonus time(s).
John BellApr 23 2022, 9:02amThe online shop for this event is now open. Please don't forget PRE-ENTRY per the event page. The price is €15 per person on the relay team as we are using trackers (sames as Stones Cross to Lug last year). Trackers are for safety: The WGL event traverses remote, rough terrain where locating a runner in the event of a problem could be very tricky and time consuming. Poor weather and/or visibility could compound the situation further. It also adds a bit of fun being able to track your friends or relay team.
John BellApr 23 2022, 9:06amCircuit of Avonbeg this Sunday should be a good opportunity to recruit for a relay team. It crosses or overlaps with parts of legs 2 and 3 and 4.
Joe LalorApr 28 2022, 9:34pmCould James Cahill and Joe Boyle contact me at o861o57o97 re old man's relay team. Any contacts I have don't work.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 3 2022, 2:04pmA spot has opened up on a relay team with myself, Alice Clancy and Stuart Scott in case anyone is interested in a last minute entry.
Sean ForsythMay 3 2022, 2:24pmHi Kevin, what leg is the spot for?
Kevin O'RiordanMay 3 2022, 2:46pmHi Sean,

We're pretty flexible on legs, so if you have a preference, you're welcome to take that.
Sean ForsythMay 3 2022, 3:45pmSorry Kevin, I would only be able to do leg 1 but just had a look at the requirements and it looks like my start time would be after 9am (if I understand it all...which I may not) y, unfortunately that would be too late for me due to other commitments
Paul SmythMay 3 2022, 4:34pmHi Kevin,

I'm available to run a leg. I'll be at the race tomorrow night. If you are there, we can sort out the details then, if it suits you, and you want me to run a leg.

Paul
Kevin O'RiordanMay 4 2022, 12:55pmHey Paul,

We had someone contact us privately yesterday looking to run a leg. Need to see if he's still interested, if not, we'll get back to you this evening.
Paul SmythMay 4 2022, 2:38pmNo problem.
John BellMay 5 2022, 10:38pmHere is the relay start times. You will each need to work out what time to be at the start of your leg and aim to be there in plenty of time. You can register with the marshal at the start of your leg - no need to go to Glendalough Hotel at the very start of the race if you are running a later leg.

Name start time
Team 3: Roisin & Ruth 08:00
Team 6: Hilary, Richard, Niamh & Hugh 08:45
Team 5: Brendan, James, Joe & Jody 08:50
Team 1: Maike, Mike, Eoin, Daniela 09:20
Team 4: Maeve & Dan 09:20
Team 2: Alice, Kevin, Stuart & Louis 09:30
Joe LalorMay 6 2022, 8:06pmAnyone got a link for tracker for tm race?
Lillian DeeganMay 6 2022, 8:32pmHello Joe,
Unfortunately we've hit a bump of a kind with the trackers for tomorrow. We'll not have either event tracked now. Fingers crossed we loose nobody :)

See you above tomorrow regardless.
James H CahillMay 7 2022, 8:00pmThank you John, Lillian, Hannah Clare, Mick, Michael for a great day in he hills today. Really well organized and great fun. Thank you for giving up your day so we could enjoy ours.
John BellMay 7 2022, 10:48pmHere's the relay finish times and positions:

Position Name Finish time
1 Team: Roisin & Ruth 14:06:00
2 Team: Mike, Maike, Eoin, Daniela 15:06:45
3 Team: Brendan, James, Joe & Jody 15:11:30
4 Team: Stuart, Alice, Louis & Kevin 15:39:00
5 Team: Richard, Niamh, Hugh & Hilary 15:40:15

Full results including leg times and overall time will be added to the results tab soon.
John BellMay 7 2022, 11:00pmThat was super running from the winners today, Ruth and Roisin. There was a good bit of trading of places behind them, which kept it interesting to the finish. Well done all.

Thanks to Lillian, Michael, Clare + Ciara, Mick and Hannah for giving up their time today so that we could put this race on.
Hilary JenkinsonMay 8 2022, 3:28pmWhat a great day out for this relay team. A huge thank you to RD John Bell and his fab marshals who had numerous goodies and encouragement at the switch overs. A fun day out in the hills of Wicklow
Richard FoxMay 8 2022, 3:58pmThanks so much to John Bell and all marshals/volunteers for organising a brilliant event. It was truly a great days outing in glorious weather.
Thanks again
foxy
Róisín McDonnellMay 8 2022, 7:55pmThanks so much to RD John Bell and Lillian, Clare, Mick, Michael, Hannah and Ciara for a great days running in the hills made even more enjoyable by the fun and lovely baked goods at the transitions. Thanks so much again for what was a long day for you all.
Brendan LawlorMay 9 2022, 8:13amThank you to John , Lillian and all the volunteers for a great relay event on Saturday ! Well done to Roisin and Ruth who won the relay by a country mile.

The results have me down as running Leg 3 as well as Leg 1 ..much as I'd like to think I would be capable of such a feat, it was my handsome older cousin Joe Lalor who ran Leg 3- if someone could amend the results in due course that would be great
Joseph BoyleMay 9 2022, 12:15pmThanks to John and all the team for a great day out on Saturday. I agree with all the other comments and would like to highlight to members who wouldn't think of entering this type of race, that the cameraderie among all the participants and the volunteers is fantastic. Even if you decide to volunteer it's a great day out. Congrats to the winners of both events, the solo being a much closer event than the relay.
Dan GeelonMay 9 2022, 4:38pmI have added some photos from the Ballinafunshoge hand over stage
Stuart ScottMay 9 2022, 5:21pmThanks John, Lillian and helpers for another brilliant event on Sat. The nice relaxed atmosphere belied the organisation behind the scenes. Pity about the weather - the nav was too easy but otherwise the new May date was perfect! Hopefully we can get a few more taking part next year - it's one of the best events on the calendar - and the solo race could do with some gender balance :-) Well done to Ruth and Roisin as well on another well-deserved win!