Irish Mountain
Running Association

IMRA 40th Anniversary Celebrations - Take 2

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnOct 31 2021, 1:29pmTickets for our 40th Anniversary Dinner and Awards Night on the 27th of November are now on sale.
The ticket cost of €20 will include a 3-course meal with wine, generously sponsored by Richard Moriarty, and some other extras on the night. The cost of the evening is also being subsided by IMRA so you will be getting get value for your €20!
Friends, partners and former and current IMRA members are all welcome to celebrate this milestone.
Laura FlynnNov 1 2021, 9:22amI should have added that, currently, the venue will require vaccination certificates and ID from anyone attending on the 27th.
If you have any queries on this you’re best to contact the Merry Ploughboy directly.
Laura FlynnNov 7 2021, 7:18pmFor anyone interested in the history there’s a forum post started by Gerry Brady in 2009, 16th of February, as we were approaching our 30th Anniversary.
Our in-house historian Caitlin Bent was even able to provide a list of runners who completed the inaugural race at Three Rock on the 22nd of May 1980.
Mick HanneyNov 7 2021, 9:22pmLink here: https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/1589

Surprised Alan Ayling wasn't there ;-).
Laura FlynnNov 7 2021, 9:41pmThanks Mick. Caitlin also wrote a nice piece for the 2009 Annual if any of you out there have it and have the IT skills to share it would be great. I can take a screen-shot and send if that would help.
Lindie NaughtonNov 7 2021, 10:04pmI have a CD of historic IMRA results given to me by the one and only Joe Lalor...
Lillian DeeganNov 11 2021, 10:53amOn with a msg relating to food choices for the dinner. For those who we have been in touch with and for those who have bought a ticket - Might you let me know if you are opting for a vegetarian meal. No need to get in touch if your not a veggie - thanks.

Please email: Lillian.deegan@imra.ie
Laura FlynnNov 19 2021, 7:39pmI’m sure it won’t come as a surprise to you all that we have made the difficult decision to postpone our 40th Anniversary celebrations which were due to be held next Saturday at The Merry Ploughboy.
The plan is to reschedule the event in the new year when we have a clearer picture of how things are. We’ve already put a lot of work in which we’re determined won’t go to waste and we’ll get to celebrate this great occasion in style in 2022.
The Kilmacanogue Running Festival is still going ahead next weekend and we hope to see you all there.
Gavan DohertyNov 19 2021, 9:46pmHi Laura,

Not an easy decision, particularly in light of what seems like mixed messages from the authorities (who don't seem to be having an easy time).

Once more the committee has spent time organising, planning, then considering, re-organising, re-planning. Not easy, especially when you're making decisions for several hundred people.

Looking forward to the rescheduled event sometime in the future - if the committee still has the energy to organise!

Thank you.
Pól Ó MurchúNov 22 2021, 10:41pmJust a quick message to let all know that refunds for tickets purchased have now been processed and should be credited back to the account where purchased from originally. Hopefully see ye all at the event in 2022.
Laura FlynnFeb 8 2022, 9:58amI’m very happy to report that we have rescheduled our 40th Anniversary celebrations for Saturday the 26th of March at The Goat Grill in their upstairs Drumaville Suite. Tickets will go on sale shortly at €20 each which will include a 3-course meal, wine and some other generous add-ons. All current and former IMRA members welcome with their friends or partners.
The venue has a large car park and is also close to the Luas Green Line, bus routes and the M50 motorway.
We look for to seeing as many of you there as possible to celebrate this milestone.
Laura FlynnMar 4 2022, 2:48pmWe’ve managed to secure some rooms at the Clayton Hotel in Leopardstown for the night of the 26th of March at a very favourable rate. If you’re interested in booking one please email Lillian at lillian.deegan@imra.ie and she’ll give you the details.
Lillian DeeganMar 9 2022, 10:33pmBumping Laura’s msg up here.

We have 3 double rooms and 2 singles left from the IMRA group holding at The Clayton Leopardstown. If you are thinking of taking a room, I’m on with a reminder to get in touch.

I’ll be sending through the names for rooms taken to the hotel on Friday, March 11th. Rooms not taken from our group hold, will be released back for general uptake.

For those who have been in touch to book a room,, thanks for being so prompt. I will be back to you late Friday with news of your booking.

Thanks - Lillian
Laura FlynnMar 21 2022, 9:19amJust a reminder that the purchase will close at midnight tonight as we have to give the venue our numbers. There are still tickets for sale but not as many as might appear as have invited a number of people and this number isn’t reflected in the sold tickets figure.
Anyone having difficulty purchasing send me an email with your number and I’ll give you a call.
laura.flynn@imra.ie
Brendan LawlorMar 21 2022, 2:16pmAs we head into the week of IMRA's 40th Anniversary celebrations, heres a few statistics which might interest you:

Club 100 has 175 members (175 IMRA members have run 100 or more IMRA events since the current website began recording them back in around 2000... many of these IMRA members had run dozens of IMRA races in the preceding 18 years).

Club 200 has 50 members.

Club 300 has 18 members.

Club 400 has 7 members including the legendary Caitlin Bent who has been an IMRA member from the very start, and who continues to pound the trails to these very days.

Club 500 has two members including the legendary Vivian O' Gorman who has been organising IMRA races from a time when the back of his car was the race HQ and first aid was a rinse off in a stream. Vivian has the best volunteering record in IMRA too.

Club 700 has only one member, the one and only Tommy Galvin, who has 729+ races under his belt. The average IMRA runner does 10 races per year so a current average 18 year old IMRA member would be 88 years old before they would have clocked up 700 races , never mind 729 ! Think of that !

In these very uncertain days of pandemic and war, IMRA continues to thrive and grow, thanks to the spirit and dedication of its many members all over the country.

So I'm looking forward to raising a glass with you all next Saturday ! G'wan IMRA !
Mick HanneyMar 21 2022, 4:50pmIt would be great if the Club 100 information looped in the Volunteer contributions too. Vivian has an astonishing amount of volunteering done. He would be over the 700 mark if those volunteer roles were counted. Brilliant.
Lindie NaughtonMar 22 2022, 7:44amLaura - did you get my text?
Brendan LawlorMar 28 2022, 4:49pmWhat a great night ! Big well done and thank you to Laura, Lillian, Gavin, Miriam and the committee for putting on a great event to mark our 40 years in business. Thanks to the pandemic it will be only 8 years to the 50th!!

Thanks also to John Shiels for the photos and to Findlater Wines for the hangover.

So good to see lots of faces from the past and hopefully they will be suitably enthused to dust down the runners and rejoin us on the hills soon !
Stuart ScottMar 28 2022, 4:57pmThanks to Laura, Lillian and everyone else involved with Saturday night. I really enjoyed it! The venue was perfect, tasty food and drink, excellent company, nice chats and great to see all the faces from the past. IMRA has come a long way since its humble origins but the friendly and welcoming atmosphere has been ever present. Thanks again!