Irish Mountain
Running Association

Kilmac Running Festival - All Ireland Juniors Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Miriam MaherSep 26 2021, 4:52pmAfternoon

We are finalising the details for this race - an event set up specificallly for junior athletes.

At this time of the year, there can be alot of other racing fixtures for this age group in the calender but we're going to put on this event anyway to give another alternative event to those interested.

I'm appealing for IMRA members to spread the word to their own clubs, schools, scouts groups etc about this race. The only criteria needed to entry is age - born between 2002 and 2006 (Incl).

The aim for next year is to re-launch alot of the junior development focus for hill and mountain runing that Covid halted in 2020 and most of 2021. We need to build the profile of this form of running for that group. So this race is part of giving juniors a chance to have their own race event.

If anyone would like to help or be part of a focus on juniors developemnt within IMRA, please don't be shy and give me a shout!

Thanks

Miriam
John Murphy74Sep 26 2021, 5:07pmMiriam,
I'm working in a brand new school and this is something that might be right up our street as our numbers are small.
Miriam MaherSep 26 2021, 5:26pmBrilliant John,

That would be great if you could do that. Let me know if you want to have a chat or get some more details from me.
miriam.maher@imra.ie

Many thanks

Miriam
Phil behanSep 26 2021, 7:41pmHi Miriam, I coach Raheny U11s at the moment and we already have our sights for joining both Howth IMRA races next year with the juniors. I’ll mention the above event to the older groups in Raheny also. It would be great to see some of our juniors out on the hills. Happy to help also if required at any races.

Thanks
Phil
Miriam MaherSep 26 2021, 9:12pmThanks Phil,

Club coaching involvement like yours is ideal.

It would be great if you could spread the word. And, if you’re free on Oct 16th would welcome your support!

Miriam
Angela FlynnSep 29 2021, 6:37pmHi all
We are hoping to have a 'schools race' as part of the winter running festival on the weekend of the 27th November in Kilmacanogue and would love it to be promoted among the primary schools.There will be prizes for the winners, their class and their class TEACHER. PR for this will happen soon on all the social media platforms as well as here.
Rachel CinnsealachSep 29 2021, 9:09pmHey Ang, Will there be a race for students in secondary schools too?
Miriam I am hoping to get students from my school involved in hill running over the next year.
Miriam MaherNov 26 2021, 2:01pmRegistration for the Juniors race opening at 10.30 am tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing you all. Make sure you have your rain jacket with you! Face coverings to be worn at registration and for the start of the race.

Miriam
Alistair HodgettNov 26 2021, 4:37pmHi, will chip timing be used (i.e. how hard do we need to look for a missing chip....)?
Miriam MaherNov 26 2021, 5:01pmHi Alistair - you can stand down the search ;-) No plans to do chip timing..just old style results :)

Thanks

Miriam
Miriam MaherNov 28 2021, 9:38pmHugh congrats to the juniors racing yesterday. It was great to see some of our B&I international squad from this year back out on the hills. Also fantastic to meet and see some great new talent in action on the tougher than you might think slopes of the sugarloaf! You raced well, you pushed yourself and I look so much forward to what next year will bring you!

You can only imagine the effort it takes to co-ordinate and deliver a race on a one off, let alone as part of a multi event running festival. So much thanks to those that gave generously of their time yesterday. Brian outdid himself, Dee and Grace didn't hesitate to step up when I asked, Leo is always there for the juniors and Lindsey and Tommy rowed in with no fuss and good humour.

Paul worked magic with his concentrated focus on the route, making sure all the marshalls were where they needed to be. The route itself was worked out with great attention to detail by John before he went off on his run, leaving his brother Kevin to keep an eye on the route. Sadie ensured everyone was registered correctly and ready to go.

If I missed anyone key to the juniors race - apologies - it was busy at Kilmac yesterday! Angela and Graham were a tour de force overall in bringing off a super running festival. Kudos all around.

That's it for the juniors this year. We are setting our sights on next year already, here's hoping we get a full year of racing and running to bring the next generation of hill runners along.

The future is bright, thanks everyone, looking forward with hope to 2022.