Irish Mountain
Running Association

Circuit of Avonbeg

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganJul 14 2019, 1:53pmHi all,

This LC event need a race director. With the race scheduled for Aug. 10th - might anyone be interested in taking it on?

Thanks
Lillian
Conor O'FarrellJul 14 2019, 8:50pmI had planned to RD again this year Lillian, but I'm away that weekend. Hopefully someone can step in, everyone really enjoyed it last year and it would be shame if it didn't go ahead.

Con
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 22 2019, 10:32amMorning folks!

Looking for a First Aid volunteer and a couple of other running and non-running volunteers for this one.

Thanks

Anne-Marie
Phil behanJul 24 2019, 7:39amHi Anne-Maire I should be ok to volunteer at this. Any chances I'll let you know in advance.
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 24 2019, 9:08amThanks, Phil.
That’s great!
Kenneth O'HaraJul 30 2019, 6:12pmHi all, will this be online entry?

Cheers, Kenneth
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 30 2019, 8:36pmHi Kenneth,

Online entry is available in the Purchase IMRA Products section. Race vouchers will also be accepted on the day.
Gordon PlaceJul 30 2019, 8:37pmHi Kenneth, it's available for purchase under 'purchase imra products', might only have gone up
Kenneth O'HaraJul 30 2019, 11:23pmPerfect, thanks.
Jp ByrneJul 31 2019, 1:37pmHi
Would b interested in doing this run, but have no mountain navigation skills (yet) just wondering if I'd b let do it, if not no worries.
Tanks Jp
John MurrayJul 31 2019, 3:55pmHi JP, on a clear sunny day and with some recce runs of the different sections done beforehand you 'might' get around ok without any navigation skills. But the chances of getting a full day of good weather in September are slim. There are numerous open mountain sections which you could find yourself running in circles on for hours if it was misty of foggy and to be honest even on a good day you're going to get some sections were visibility is low.

The number of runners that usually enter are also low so trying to follow someone in front would not be a good strategy as everyone has there own routes and you may not see anyone for hours! :)

If you want to improve your Navigation skills then I'd suggest doing the Nav Challenge Series of races. They are great fun and even if you mess up you are never too far from home! :)
Kenneth O'HaraAug 1 2019, 11:54amSigned up now, will be my first race of the year so I'm assuming I'll just pick up my race number the morning of.

Thanks again, see you all Saturday week.
Anne-Marie FlahertyAug 1 2019, 12:05pmWe’ll have race numbers to collect on the day.
See you then, Kenneth!

JP, as John has said it’s not a race for novice or those without nav skills.

Definitely give the nav challenges a go and hopefully you’ll build up the knowledge and confidence for next year! They’re a perfect opportunity to learn and you can always buddy up with someone who’s more experienced, or with similar level to yourself.
Jp ByrneAug 1 2019, 10:54pmTanks John and Anne Maria for ur input.
Anne-Marie FlahertyAug 3 2019, 8:39pmHi folks!

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend?

I’m still in need of a First Aid volunteer and one or two more running and non-running volunteers for next Saturday.

Thanks
A.M.
Julian BloomerAug 6 2019, 12:41pmHi Anne-Marie,
I can do the First Aid officer if you need someone. It's my first time but I have the First Aid Responder cert. Also I'm injured at the moment and can't walk too far.
Thanks, Julian
Anne-Marie FlahertyAug 6 2019, 7:51pmThanks Julian. Appreciate you signing up to help.

I’ll be in touch with volunteers on Thursday at the latest.

If I could get another non running volunteer for Camenabologue that would be great

Cheers!

A.M.
Paul O'GradyAug 8 2019, 12:52pmHi. Do we have to do this in a clockwise direction, or is it permissible to do it in an anti-clockwise direction? The navigation looks easier in an anti clockwise direction as you are climbing up to the controls as opposed to descending down to the controls. Thanks.
John CondonAug 8 2019, 1:37pmHi Paul, as per the organiser instructions, the control points must be visited in a particular order, that being in a clockwise direction.
Paul SmythAug 9 2019, 3:50pmI'm suddenly carless due to a problem with the clutch in my car. Anyone able to give me a lift to/from the race tomorrow? I'm in Citywest but can easily get to the Red Cow Luas stop if anyone is going near either. My no is: Oh ate seven too six won six fore Oh seven. Thanks,

Paul
Paul O'GradyAug 9 2019, 4:41pmThanks John,

I had read that, hence my question. IMRA has a long tradition of allowing free route choices in these type of open mountain races, as these are not orienteering events. So I was just wondering, if someone ran the race anti clockwise, would they be disqualified.

Thanks

Paul
Anne-Marie FlahertyAug 9 2019, 4:56pmHi Paul,

As John has said, the route must be run in the direction outlined in the description.

You are welcome to run in opposite direction but will be deemed not to be participating in the race and you will not receive a result.

Regards

Anne-Marie
Paul O'GradyAug 9 2019, 6:38pmOk. Thanks Anne Marie
Brian FureyAug 9 2019, 11:01pmIf anyone has spare whistle can you bring it with you. Can't find mine.
Gordon PlaceAug 10 2019, 9:01amI've a spare Brian
Mikey FryAug 10 2019, 9:56amAsk father ted Brian I think he found his :)
Brian FureyAug 10 2019, 3:59pmAll good! Got sorted by Paul Smyth and Gordon if needed. Thanks
Anne-Marie FlahertyAug 10 2019, 4:59pmHi folks

Everyone back safely!

Massive thanks to the volunteers, Adrian, Brian, Maggie, Alastair, Julian, Gerry and Phil.

Particularly Phil and Gerry who has a long day out on the hills.

Decision was made to shorten the course and send runners down from Camenabologue to finish.

Congratulations to the winners!

Women
1. Becky Quinn

Men
1. Adrian Hennessy
2. Bernard Fortune
3. Brian Furey

I’ll dry the results sheets out and get them to Conor, so probably won’t be online til Monday.

Thanks to everyone for their support and understanding with the altered route.
Gordon PlaceAug 10 2019, 5:34pmThanks Anne Marie and all the gang for another great day out. Fair play to the Marshalls standing out for so long in tough conditions. The tea and sambos were a welcome sight. Thanks too to your mam!
Andy KeelingAug 10 2019, 7:10pmMassive thank you to Anne Marie and all the crew today. Special thanks and hats off to the lads who spent all day standing around up the hills gazeboless in the beautiful glenmalure weather. It was a great run. Glad to be in dry clothes now.

Cheers

Andy
Phil behanAug 10 2019, 8:19pmI've added a report from the day from a volunteering perspective

https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/1740
Anne-Marie FlahertyAug 10 2019, 8:30pmPhil, that was a great read!
Thanks so much for today.

Also forgot to give a thank you to Westport Plaza Hotel who supplied the hot water flasks for the tea/coffee.
Paul SmythAug 10 2019, 10:23pmMassive thank you to Anne-Marie and everyone involved in running todays event in less than ideal condition.

Thanks also to everyone who offered me lifts as well (Brian, Phil and Becky).
Justin O'KeeffeAug 11 2019, 1:38pmSincere thanks to the RD, Anne-Marie , & a super team of volunteers for making this race happen. It was damp out on the hills but even damper standing round. Great atmosphere, stunning scenery when you could see and the lovely sambos / tea at the end made for an epic day out. Thank you IMRA!
Conor O'FarrellAug 12 2019, 12:09pmFair play to anyone who took part in that race, be it volunteers or runners. The conditions really looked horrendous, and by all accounts it was a wise decision by Anne-Marie to alter the course accordingly.

Results are now up. Please send any queries results@imra.ie.

Con
Pádraig DoyleAug 14 2019, 12:15pmThanks very much Anne-Marie and the Flahertettes. Saturday's race was a lot of (masochistic) fun. It was a lovely relaxed event for us but a loonnng day out for you!
Your mother makes a mean sandwich, may she never want for a bite herself.

P.
Joe LalorAug 14 2019, 12:29pmDon't for get your chip for registration and your cup for tea & cake