Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ticknock Tick Tock

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Eamonn HodgeFeb 6 2019, 5:25pmHi James, looking forward to this. I was spectating for a while when your Dad and Greg Byrne were running it. What a great idea.
James TuckerFeb 8 2019, 10:11pmGlad to hear your enthusiasm Eamonn! There's so much selection for Ultras around the country these days but hopefully the uniqueness of the Tick Tock draws some appeal.

I'll be ironing out the details over the next few weeks and posting any updates on here so keep you eyes peeled.
Justin ReaFeb 11 2019, 12:20pmThis is a great format of event. A la "Big Backyard Ultra" from Gary Cantrell (Laz of Barkley Marathon fame). Don't be put off by the 75k as you do as many of the 12 loops as you can manage. I really enjoyed inaugural event. @Greg, I still have your socks ;-)
James TuckerMay 10 2019, 9:18pmThink you can finish a 6.5km trail run in an hour?... How about 12 times back-to-back?? Sure it's only 6.5km...

Have you ever finished close behind someone in a race and thought to yourself "I'll get 'em next time"?.. What if next time is just a few minutes away?? And you've 15 mins to play some mind games...

Can you pace yourself with no watch to look at, no buzz as another km ticks over? When your legs are heavy and your stomach's craving a nice warm meal?

What challenges has Ticknock Tick Tock got in store for you!?

Entries are now open and will remain open until 23:59 Friday 14th June or when 40 entries have been received.

Please note the entry instructions on the race page:

Race fee in the usual IMRA format (€7 pre-reg, or €5 voucher). If you plan to pay with a voucher on the day you must email the RD in advance to register your entry. Voucher entries will not be accepted on the day if you have not received registration confirmation from the RD in the form of email.
Jarlath HynesMay 11 2019, 2:33pmSame route as 2017?
Or similar?
Or totally different?
Or just wait & see...?
James TuckerMay 11 2019, 5:23pmKnowledge of the 2017 route will be an advantage.
How much of an advantage will be revealed on the "Master Map" at registration on the day!
Aleksandr KarnejevecMay 11 2019, 7:59pmHi everyone there!
I just recently have joined Imra,..could anybody explain to me why is not allowed to use navigation watches such as Garmin etc.in this race? Thanks.
Gordon PlaceMay 11 2019, 10:54pmHi Aleksandr, it's not just gps/nav watches, but any watch or clock for this race, estimating your own time on each lap is part of the race, if you look at the race reports from the 2017 it will give you a good idea of the format.
Other races do not allow the use of the gps/nav function on watches as self navigation and route finding is part of the race. They are unmarked races, Tonelagee for example. See
https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/5169
Aleksandr KarnejevecMay 13 2019, 10:23amHi Gordon,
Thanks for the answer. But I got confused even more because it says :

"In a NG classifies race, the use of a gps or similar electronic device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis. "
So, according to this, running watches are allowed for tne NG rasces no?.

Thanks
Aleksandr
John J BarryMay 13 2019, 11:14amYes watches allowed for Nav races (but not watches using navigation aids such as bread crumbs / maps).

This event is not like that, it's estimating how much effort you need to put into each lap to complete it within an hour without the aid of electronic devices or analogue watches.

A truly brilliant concept
James TuckerMay 13 2019, 2:23pmHi Aleksandr, thanks for you're question and thanks to the guys above for trying to clear it up for you.

This is a unique race with some of its own unique rules which have been detailed on the event page. The race offers a number of different challenges, both mentally and physically. One of these challenges is to see how well you can pace yourself with no timing equipment on the course to help. The Ticknock Tick Tock clock will be at the start/finish line and can be used to assess your pace throughout the day and determine whether you need to speed up or slow down.

Apart from this, no time keeping device (Garmin, stopwatch, pocket-watch or other) is to be used by the runner out on the course. Use of any such device is an automatic DNF.

I hope this clears things up for you.
Robert CarneyMay 13 2019, 3:03pmAre you allowed to count in your head?? :)
Conor O'FarrellMay 13 2019, 4:14pmDon't balk at the talk of the Ticknock Tick Tock. Whether you run, walk, or wear a frock or smock, you'll be in a laughingstock if you've wet socks (or jocks). Don't stop to admire the livestock, hemlock or shamrock, or dare do the moonwalk on the boardwalk causing gridlock, 'cause the only time that matters is the chime on the Ticknock Tick Tock Clock. You got that, Doc!
Pádraig DoyleMay 13 2019, 9:30pmThis is why forums were invented. Thanks Conor.
Aleksandr KarnejevecMay 14 2019, 12:02amThanks for the explanation.
Aoibheann GaughranMay 14 2019, 1:51pmHi James, I'm so sorry to let you down, but I have to withdraw from volunteering due to having to work that weekend. I hope it goes well. Aoibheann
James TuckerJun 10 2019, 6:33pmNo worries Aoibheann, thanks for letting me know.

Reminder that entries for the Ticknock Tick Tock close this Friday at midnight. Vouchers are still being accepted provided you email me your details (name and race number) before the cutoff time. You can reach me at Tuckerfff(at)gmail(dot)com.
Gordon PlaceJun 19 2019, 1:40pmJust wondering if it got near the 40 limit?

Looking forward to it!
James TuckerJun 21 2019, 9:37amHello Tick Tockers,

The weather Gods will hopefully be smiling for us tomorrow. "It should hold fully dry on Saturday with some sunny spells. Highest temperatures will range 16 to 19 degrees Celsius, in moderate southeast breezes" - Met Eireann (https://www.met.ie/forecasts/dublin)

It will be a long day in the hills though so please pack appropriately - in particular be sure to pack a light rain jacket (with hood). Also be sure to pack any food and drink you think you will require throughout the course of the day. We will have a limited supply of water and some small snacks (fruit and jellys) but this is a self-sufficient race so please be prepared.

Sign-In will commence at 6:30am.

Race Briefing will be at 6:45am

Start will be at 7am.

Please ensure to bring along your race number at Sign-In.
Anyone who has yet to collect their Race Number, we will have it there for you.

There will be a Master Map of the course at registration/start line. Some copies of the map will be available, but people are also encouraged to plot the route on their own map if they wish.

Control Kites and Punches will be used on the course as checkpoints. For anyone unfamiliar with the use of Control Cards and Punches etc. an explanation will be given at Race Briefing.

Ticknock Info
http://www.coillte.ie/site/ticknock/
Trail Map for the Mountain
http://www.coillte.ie/media/2017/01/Dublin-Ticknock.pdf

Gordon, to your question no the cut off of 40 was not reached. The low numbers should make it even better for teaming and scheming!

See you all in the morning!
Richard MoriartyJun 21 2019, 12:02pmThanks for the update James,

Looks like it's going to be a fab (long) day ahead of us all

Can't wait to get started and hopefully finished tomorrow

See you all bright and early
Barry DrennanJun 21 2019, 1:36pmHi James,
I have to pull out of race tomorrow, sorry for the last minute notice.
Thanks, Barry
James TuckerJun 22 2019, 10:13pmHuge congrats to the 10 brave souls who toed the start line at the Ticknock Tick Tock today. And the equal number of volunteers who made the day possible! It seemed like a great day was had by all.

Hopefully the tales of the day might entice a few more bodies to give this event a go next year. And hopefully we'll see those of you with unfinished business back at the start line again to get the job done next year! Enjoy the recovery!

Provisional results:

1 Peter Gorman 5:44:34
2 Gordon Place 6:06:20
3 Paul Mahon 6:13:21
4 Anthony O'Reilly 7:46:37
5 Peter Doyle 8:41:46
6 Nicolas Mejri 10 Loops
7 Fergus O'Farrell 9 Loops
8 Richard Moriarty 8 Loops
9 Andreas Kusch 6 Loops
10 Sandy Carr 4 Loops
Richard MoriartyJun 23 2019, 2:44pmTick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock
At last I’m off Ticknock
8 loops and beaten by the clock
3 pairs of socks
1 pair of jocks
And lots of chaffing on my .....inner thigh
Richard MoriartyJun 23 2019, 2:49pmSerious well done to all of the competitors because even attempting that was pure madness

Big up to all the volunteers and especially James for faultless if slightly Machiavellian planning

Special mention to for Fergus without whose nav skills I’d still be up there on loop one

To echo James I’ve made friends and have so many tales from the day. I am in no way a distance runner and have never done nav before, so let’s get to 40 entries next year.

A real experience
James TuckerJun 23 2019, 10:59pmFull breakdown of results is now available at the link below:

https://bit.ly/2LcoQMg

Thanks to Greg Byrne for his Excel wizardry! Results should be up on the IMRA website over the coming days.
John MurrayJun 24 2019, 7:27amApologies James, a last minute family event meant I couldn't get down on Saturday morning. Was really looking forward to this event all year. :(

Congrats to the 10 brave souls who lined up at the start!

Next year I'll be there for sure.
Paul MahonJun 24 2019, 8:03amMany thanks to James & team for the unique and challenging event, for mind and body, on Saturday.
Yet again it was an example of so many volunteers giving up all or a significant part of their day for the enjoyment of others and that, along with the concept of this event, is a great testament to Adrian who came up with the event initially :-)
Hopefully we will have a few more on the start-line next year
Gordon PlaceJun 25 2019, 11:42amHear Hear!
Report up
Peter DoyleJun 25 2019, 7:44pmThanks for the report Gordon - helps bring back some great, painful, memories of the day :-)
Really enjoyed it - great event and highly recommend it to others. As I've said elsewhere I am, at best, an average mountain runner (you can check out my previous results for proof) and yet managed to slog through it and only falling behind the clock on lap 11. At that stage nothing was going to stop me getting out to finish lap 12!

By thy way do any of the organisers have have an accurate measurement file of the route and ascent/ descent? Certainly was strange, though somewhat liberating, to run without a watch but interested to know the distance and climb across 12 laps.

Thanks again for great day
Richard MoriartyJun 25 2019, 8:58pmHey Peter

Well done on the result, that is an awesome achievement. Next year I hope to follow in your (many) footsteps.

I have a Strava of 8 loops of the route, so if you add 50% to it you’ll have your mileage and climb
Richard MoriartyJun 25 2019, 9:01pmhttps://www.strava.com/activities/2471022257
Gordon PlaceJun 27 2019, 10:13pmGood to see another side of the story Anthony!
Pádraig DoyleJun 27 2019, 11:55pmAh jaysus Gordon... poor Anthony GASPING for a cuppa coffee and you left him hanging! :'-)
Anthony O'ReillyJun 28 2019, 9:27amBarista Gordon was brewing up a storm every hour in his hipster van café. It was the the Place to be. Pardon the pun.