Irish Mountain
Running Association

Circuit of Avonbeg

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gordon PlaceJul 17 2018, 10:46pmHi,
Was just wondering if this route is in the clockwise order listed? Just wasn't sure what the M/W70 comment meant? Thanks
Gordon
Mike JordanJul 18 2018, 9:07amPrevious editions of this race went clockwise with an additional first control at Art's Lough (I think to keep people off private land at bottom of Glenmalure valley).
The M70 route (or the Mick Kellett route to give it its proper title) is a not-so-short short course that went from the start, to Art's Lough, to Clohernagh summit, back down the walkers zig-zag track to the bottom of the valley, then back to the finish.
Gordon PlaceJul 18 2018, 9:55amCheers Mike
Ken CowleyJul 18 2018, 2:23pmI probably won't be doing this race myself, but just to give it a testimonial, it's a long one but a classic - would be great fun 'flying' along this great selection of peaks in these dry conditions..
Conor O'FarrellJul 27 2018, 3:46pmAny idea if this race is going ahead? I see there is no RD or volunteers yet. I'd love to run it, but if it's in danger of being cancelled, I will give a dig out, I may even RD it if I can get some help.?
Stuart ScottJul 27 2018, 4:34pmThanks Conor. I'm in a similar boat to you - I've been waiting years for the race to make it back to the calendar and I'd love to run it. I'd be happy to help with any of the background organisation (of which there is very little) but I'd like to get out for a run too. Would there be anyone who's currently injured that might like a nice restful day on the sidelines? There's barely anything to do for it bar a nice afternoon in the sun waiting for wayward runners to return!
Conor O'FarrellJul 30 2018, 9:34amOK, looks like this is a go. If anyone would like to help with volunteering, I could do with a first-aider and some helpers please.

Cheers
Con
Mike JordanJul 30 2018, 9:54amConor, if you need some controls put out on the Saturday let me know. Can help with reg too. I think you should have a marshal at Camenbologue/Table Track and a cut-off time there (13:45 was cut-off time last time out). Early starters had an hour head-start last time too. Winning time has been between 2hr35min and 2hr50min so its a long day out.
Mick HanneyJul 30 2018, 10:16amIf memory serves the controls should be minimal - only required at a couple of locations, not all the peaks, as it is done on a trust basis?
Conor O'FarrellJul 30 2018, 10:32amThanks Mike

I'd actually just dropped you an email with those very questions. ;-)

Mick, thanks for the info too.

Con
Mike JordanJul 30 2018, 10:40am@Mick - there were marshals at Art's Lough, Camenbologue, and Maullacor last time the race was run. I think the cut-off marshal at Camenbologue is definitely needed this time but given the lack of volunteers I'm thinking a couple of control kites might be needed for the other 2 spots. Or we could just rely on the honour system.
Conor O'FarrellAug 1 2018, 10:31amThanks to those who have volunteered so far, I could maybe do with 1 more non-running helper and a first-aider. Maybe a runner with first-aid could take over and relieve the on-duty first-aider when they are finished? But, I definitely need a non-running first-aider, without it we cannot hold the race.

Thanks
Con
Conor O'FarrellAug 2 2018, 9:34pmEntries are now open for this race. We have the minimum no. of volunteers to get going. Another would be good. Thanks to everyone who has already come forward.

Con
James HeggieAug 3 2018, 2:04pmHi, Firstly can we use vouchers as normal, and can we decide whether to do short race M70 or full on the day?
Conor O'FarrellAug 3 2018, 3:03pmHi James

Yes, vouchers are fine. Yes, you can decide on the M70/full on the day.

Con
Thomas RocheAug 8 2018, 7:43pmIs it frowned upon to take a direct route off Mullacor down to the hard packed forest path? you have to jump a fence half way down so don’t know if this is allowed or not
Mike JordanAug 9 2018, 4:46pm@Thomas Roche: There is free route choice between the mandatory points so if you are confident you can complete your chosen route without damaging any property or yourself then it's your call! A direct route south off Mullacor to meet the Wicklow Way will involve crossing a fence one way or another.
Mike JordanAug 9 2018, 4:59pmPARKING INSTRUCTIONS
Ballinafunshogue has a very small carpark which will be shared with other mountain users. We ask runners to make every effort to carpool to the race. Please heed the instructions of the parking marshals on the day. If parking along the road please take care not to impede the movement of other road users. Make sure you are not blocking access to farms/property. If you are a single occupancy car we'll ask you to carpool from Barravore. Please arrive in good time so we can get cars parked before the start. We'll try and facilitate runners registering first then moving cars to Barravore. Be advised if you plan to park at Glenmalure Lodge there is now a parking charge in operation.
There is a piece of wasteland just before Ballinafunshogue - does anyone on here know if this can be used for parking??
Thanks.
Mick HanneyAug 9 2018, 6:26pm@ Mike. I ran in that area last weekend and saw a few cars parked at that waste area you refer to. Don't know whether this is public or private property though.
Mick HanneyAug 9 2018, 6:34pmAlso, re: Ballinafunshoge. The first section of single track on the descent from the Wicklow way fire-road is fairly overgrown. Runnable yes,but care needed with gorsebush trip hazards to add to the fun.
Pádraig DoyleAug 9 2018, 10:04pmHi Conor,
I'll be down early anyway... maybe you've enough bodies already but if you need someone before the race, to wave palm fronds in a reverent but noble fashion, sure I'll be there anyway.

P.
Conor O'FarrellAug 10 2018, 6:16pmThanks Padraig. An extra body is always welcome.

Con
Conor O'FarrellAug 12 2018, 11:11pmThanks to everyone for a great turnout today for the Circuit of Avonbeg race. I wasn’t expecting a field of 38 for a race that was only really confirmed a couple of weeks ago. It proved to be a good, tough race by all accounts, but the weather held off for us to make for some great conditions underfoot.... if not a little warm.

Thanks to everyone who helped out today, including Matthew at Art’s Lough, John up on Camenabologue, James on first aid and Nora at registration. Also, a big thanks to Mike Jordan for all the extra help with the route and other planning over the past couple of weeks. Also, Gordon, Padraig and Julian for help with the parking.

Congrats to all the winners:
Female:
1st Orla McEvoy (4:02:31)
2nd Ivana Kolaric (4:17:42)
3rd Imogen McGuinness (4:30:58)
Male:
1st Bernard Fortune (3:10:30)
2nd Gordon Place (3:15:45)
3rd Alan Ayling (3:18:45) — with Gordon Place in Ballinafunshoge, Wicklow, Ireland.
John MurrayAug 13 2018, 9:28amWhat an amazing day running with such an epic route! Thoroughly enjoyed every section and it was great craic watching all the different route choices and wondering where people would pop out again. Really hope this one appears on next years calendar again!

A massive thanks to Conor and all the volunteers for giving up their Sunday, flawless performance! Thanks everyone!
Kevin MarnaneAug 13 2018, 12:51pmI haven't drunk that instant coffee lark in years, but when its laid on at the finish line I couldn't resist...it was fantastic, just like that mini epic of a race. I'll be back next year for another cup!

Thanks Conor and all the gang, and to all the runners along the way for the banter!
Stuart ScottAug 13 2018, 2:55pmThanks a million Conor, Nora, Matthew and John and everyone else who helped out yesterday. It's great seeing such a brilliant race back on the calendar and we very much appreciate you giving up your race Conor to make sure it happened. It mightn't be the roughest of routes but it's certainty a true test of mountain running ability with a small bit of mountaincraft (nav and routechoice) thrown in too. I thoroughly enjoyed it and my legs haven't felt this dead in ages! Hopefully we can see it back next year too.
Robert CarneyAug 13 2018, 10:51pmThanks Conor and crew for a great day out.
I tried uploading a report and keep getting an error message??
Any help with this?
Conor O'FarrellAug 13 2018, 11:14pmMy pleasure Rob, it was a grand day for sitting out in the sun waiting for ye guys to venture back.
Maybe you have some emojis or some special characters in the text that may be causing the error?
Robert CarneyAug 13 2018, 11:22pmThanks Conor.
Race report up.
Race report up.
Race report up.
Robert CarneyAug 13 2018, 11:23pmThanks Conor.
Race report up.
Robert CarneyAug 13 2018, 11:23pmThanks Conor.
Race report up.
Julian BloomerAug 13 2018, 11:46pmHi Con

Thanks for great race.

I don't seem to be listed in the results - I think there is a mix up. My number is 1811 and I finished just ahead of Imogen McGuinness.

It's my fault though, my number came off during the race and was stuffed in my pocket so just shouted it at the end.

Thanks a lot

Julian
Conor O'FarrellAug 14 2018, 7:37amHi Julian

I looks like a case of me writing the number down wrong. I wrote 1181. I will email the results secretary and ask for it to be fixed. It may take a day or to befor it shows up.

Con
Conor O'FarrellAug 14 2018, 10:28amNice report Rob. Hopefully we can get a few more up.
Alan AylingAug 15 2018, 1:54amNice one Rob, super report. One more report added, for what it's worth!