Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav Challenge 1

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Brian FennessyAug 15 2018, 11:54amHi All,

Nav Challenge 1 is fast approaching. The start and finish will be at the Shay Elliott car park GR T 129 921

There will be a long course and a short course. I would encourage anyone who has wanted to try a championship race but has been put off by the navigational element to please come out and give it a try.

Im looking for 1 more volunteer to help out at finish. Im happy to cover the RD and first aid role.

Please do your best to carpool.

Look forward to seeing some old and plenty of new faces on the 26th.

Best wishes
Brian
Brenda MalleyAug 16 2018, 11:13amHi Brian, how long is the short course please?
Brian FennessyAug 16 2018, 6:27pmhi Brenda it will be around 10k. hope to see you then.

thanks
brian
Kate HaleyAug 18 2018, 6:22pmHi, I am interested in trying out mountain running. I am a seasoned runner (marathons / half ironman) but no prior trail / mountain running experience.

I was wondering whether it would be okay / advisable to try it out (shorter course) for this race? I don't have any experience with navigational courses, but this seemed like the only nearby short series in the coming months. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I would also be in need of a carpool if anyone is able to offer one. I am based in Dun Laoghaire but able to meet up anywhere near the city for departure.

Thanks!
Kate
Andrew HanneyAug 18 2018, 9:12pmKate, the navigation challenges are specifically to test your navigational abilities so it would be best to be familiar with basic map and compass theory. That being said, plenty of people will hook up and work together on the day. I did that in my first year of doing the Nav challenges. As you’re starting off, you should opt for the short course.
Brian FennessyAug 20 2018, 11:12amHi Kate,

Andy has pretty much nailed it on the head. This is not so much a trail run but more an open mountain free route choice between a number of controls. It leans more heavily on using a map and compass and having some experience at trail running and mountain running.

The way the Nav challenge is run is that you turn up to the start point and a map with a number of controls is handed out and you collect a number of controls with free route choice and route finding between each control. Much like an orienteering event.

My advice to you would be to join up with another IMRA runner to do the short course.

I hope this is of some help and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Best wishes
Brian
Brían O'MearaAug 24 2018, 7:11pmHi Brian. I need to pick up a pre paid voucher for 10 IMRA races. Is that possible at this race, or better to pre reg online? Thanks
John BellAug 24 2018, 8:27pmThanks to Gavan we have a new set of control flags and printed maps. Feno has designed a nice course where route choice will be key. We'll be putting the controls out tomorrow so I hope not to bump into a to out for a jog near the Shay Elliott!

The weather doesn't look great on Sunday morning, but what better would you do when it's raining?

We'll be happy to give any newbie navigators some help at the start to get you on your way.

Brian, I'm not certain if Feno has the vouchers but I'll have a spare if you're stuck.
Brían O'MearaAug 24 2018, 8:56pmSound, John. Thanks
Brian FennessyAug 25 2018, 8:39pmHi Brian

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. There are vouchers in the race kit so its no problem to pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the volunteers for helping out at the race. If I could ask the non running volunteers to be at the Shay Elliott for 8.55

The weather tomorrow is looking like there'll be rain in morning until early afternoon. Volunteers bring some warm clothes to stand around in.

Looking forward to seeing people tomorrow.

Cheers
Brian
Brian FennessyAug 25 2018, 8:39pmHi Brian

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. There are vouchers in the race kit so its no problem to pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the volunteers for helping out at the race. If I could ask the non running volunteers to be at the Shay Elliott for 8.55

The weather tomorrow is looking like there'll be rain in morning until early afternoon. Volunteers bring some warm clothes to stand around in.

Looking forward to seeing people tomorrow.

Cheers
Brian
Philip BrennanAug 26 2018, 5:14pmGreat race today Brian, well done for organising. Weather was most appropriate too....

My race number is 2792.

Thanks again.
Philip
Gerry BradyAug 26 2018, 5:16pmAdd to Philip's congratulations, getting the rain to stop just before the start was a wonder to behold in itself! Great location with so many options for controls.
Brian FennessyAug 26 2018, 6:32pmMany thanks to everyone who turned up today, the weather conditions were certainly a challenge.

Well done to Roision 1st female on the long course and Sandra who was 1st female on the short course.

Also well done to the 1st male on the long course Shane Lynch who completed the course in an unreal time of 1.39mins. Congrats also to Padraig who won the short course.

Massive thanks to Liam and Peter for helping out today these events dont run if volunteers dont give up their time. Massive massive thanks to JB for helping me put out the controls late yesterday afternoon and for taking the controls in with me today along with Peter and another pal Conor.

Big thanks also to Gav Doherty I had his head wrecked for the last number of weeks chopping and changing the course. Also thanks to Paul Nolan for his advice as well.

I hope to have the results up tomorrow and will pass on the official results to Karen in the next few days.
Mick HanneyAug 26 2018, 7:00pmThanks Brian & crew. A great event with lots of route choices and great views (when the mist lifted). Amazing how quickly the hills return to the bog and puddles after the dry spell.
Paul JoyceAug 26 2018, 9:35pmBrilliant course, thanks for the effort you put into it Brian. It was very well-balanced between distance, terrain, control choice. All that was missing was mowing the grass going up towards Mullacor- trudging upwards for 2km in 40 min when there was a perfectly runnable trail 50m to the west... these Nav challenges are a lesson in stubbornness at times! Good way to spend a few hours on a Sunday.
John B RiordanAug 27 2018, 8:34amSuper morning out and clearly a lot of thought went into the planning. Well done guys and thanks to all. John, Eoin & Cuan
Thomas RocheAug 27 2018, 1:13pmfantastic event lads!! well done
Mick HanneyAug 28 2018, 12:23pmResults are denominated in hours not minutes. Some of us were slow but not that slow :-)
Kevin MarnaneSep 5 2018, 3:47pmHey guys! I know my time was ridiculously slow, but is there any chance it could be noted on the short course results just for the record? Thanks!!
Conor O'FarrellSep 5 2018, 4:34pm@Kevin, you must know the drill by now. ;-) Email Karen to get any results amended.
Brian FennessySep 6 2018, 9:19amhi kevin

whoops thats entirely my fault im not sure how that slipped through. so my apologies.

would you send me an email btfennessy@hotmail.com
thanks
brian