Irish Mountain
Running Association

Djouce (Earl's drive) trail

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Ian ConroyMar 4 2018, 2:44pmJust a small one - won't it be too dark to have these races on at 1930 on Wednesday nights in April?
Laura FlynnMar 4 2018, 5:35pmThanks for highlighting that Ian. We are actually currently looking at that and will make any necessary changes very soon.
Jeff SwordsMar 5 2018, 12:35pmI only noticed from Ian's post that the trail league is before the summer this year.
Mick HanneyMar 5 2018, 6:46pmFair play Ian for thinking of the rest of us. You could be safely on a 2nd lap before it gets dark ;-)
Mike JordanApr 3 2018, 1:32pmJust giving this topic a bump. This race is a week away and with the current start time and race distance we're looking at a possibility of runners lost in the deep dark wood. Any update??
John J BarryApr 3 2018, 3:07pmWith Djouce so close to Dublin, can we bring it forward a half hour???
Andrew HanneyApr 3 2018, 4:41pmOffer sandwiches at the end, people will be through the course in no time!
John BellApr 3 2018, 9:06pmRACE TO START EARLY @ 7:00.

We're just over a week away to the start of the Trail League. Its been moved forward a couple of months to allow people to ease themselves into the hills or work on their speed.

Race Start Time
With this earlier start to the Wednesday runs than normal we have decided to bring forward the start time to 7:00 as we run out of daylight just after 8. Registration will be from 18:00 - 18:45. Hopefully with the race closer to Dublin this earlier start will be ok for most people.

Junior / Short Course
There will be a Junior / Short course the same as last year - see the details page for the map / info. There will be a marshal at the split from the main course.

Volunteers
We still need a laptop operator and one or two more non-volunteers. One or two running volunteers could help with the car park marshal also.

Car Parking
The car park at Djouce Woods is limited, so can make an effort to car pool. Pluck's in Kilmac just off the N11 (where will be having prize giving) is a convenient place to meet but please park at the back of the car park leaving space at the front for customers.
John ShielsApr 4 2018, 9:05amI can help out on Wednesday as I'll be as much use as a chocolate fire guard after the MM this weekend. If you've enough volunteers I'll wander around and take a few photos.
John
John BellApr 6 2018, 1:53pmHope everyone is looking forward to the start of the Wednesday evening races!

Thanks to all the volunteers that have come forward, especially Dermot Murphy who will be fresh from his 10th year as RD on the Maurice Mullins / Wicklow Way.

John S, I have you pencilled in as a marshal & photographer.

I will soon send an email to volunteers with a plan / roles for the evening.
John BellApr 6 2018, 8:33pmVolunteers, I've email this message below but in case you don't see your email:

Thank you all for volunteering next Wednesday. We have an earlier race start time of 7 as it gets dark around 8. Can you aim to be at registration just before 6 so we can get set up for registration? If anyone might have difficulty getting out this early let me know. Below are the roles for the evening.

Route Marker: Peter to mark route on Tuesday evening.

Car Park Marshal: Angela Flynn & Louis Mullee. Space will probably be tight so we will need to get people to park tightly and ensure that they don’t block other users of the car park. Vans over 1.8m will have to park outside the barrier but ensure they don’t cause obstructions.

• First 2018 numbers = John McCann on numbers & Dermot Murphy on laptop & Gerard Keating shadowing.
• Vouchers = Tiarnan Johnston
• On-line registrations = Igor Gonzalez-Guridi,
• Orla McEvoy, organising queues & assisting with registration as needed.

Marshals:
• John Sheils (doubling up as photographer) located at the fork in the forest road at the second junction on the way out. Then after runners have passed through back up the hill, less than 1km, to the last junction before the home straight.
• Peter B – Junior split at the river before the S-bends. When the final runner has passed through you can start demarking.
• Kevin B – just after the former duck pond where the route turns off the main forest track. Help Peter with demarking when final runner has passed through.

Finish:
Laptop: Dermot & Gerard, with Louis & John managing the finishers + calling numbers if needed
Manual finishers: Tiarnan & Orla

Demarking: Igor is to follow the last runner to the second marshal at the junior split (Peter) to let him know ,then demark back up to the first marshal (John Sheils) Peter & Kevin will demark the remainder of the route.

First Aid: Mike Jordan, I’ll check with Dermot Murphy on Saturday after the Maurice Mullins that the kit is suitably stocked, although I won’t be sticking around after so Dermot will presumably bring the kit with him. Hopefully the kit will be suitably stocked with it being the start of the year.

I think that’s it. Let me know if I’m missing anything.

Look forward to seeing you all next Wednesday or tomorrow if you’re at the MM.
Pat WilliamsApr 8 2018, 5:22pmHi, is the race open to all IMRA members? Is there a separate cost to register for this race. Thanks
Gordon PlaceApr 8 2018, 6:08pmHi Pat, provided you are a member, if you go to 'purchase imra products', you can enter single races for 7, or buy a 10 race voucher card for 50, collect it on day and have it punched at each race. Single race entry purchase is usually available a couple of weeks before each race. Voucher card is the handiest
Pat WilliamsApr 9 2018, 12:40amThanks Gordon
John CoganApr 9 2018, 4:04pmJohn Cogan here, I'm registered for Djoice,but last minute hitch,I cant attended
Diarmuid O'ColmainApr 9 2018, 6:10pmHi everyone,
I have not been active doing IMRA races for a few years and am a little unclear about admin.

I have purchased an annual IMRA membership and an entry to the Djouce trail race. What more do I need to do? Do I just turn up this Wednesday knowing my runner number from an email I have got; and sign the entry sheet and collect my runner number on paper? Will I be given a chip or is that something I have to purchase separately?

I have some runner vouchers I bought a couple of years ago (2016) - are they still valid?
I have not been active doing IMRA races for a few years and am a little unclear about admin.

I have purchased an annual IMRA membership and an entry to the Djouce trail race. What more do I need to do? Do I just turn up this Wednesday knowing my runner number from an email I have got; and sign the entry sheet and collect my runner number on paper? Will I be given a chip or is that something I have to purchase separately?

I have some runner vouchers I bought a couple of years ago (2016) - are they still valid?

Pól Ó MurchúApr 9 2018, 6:16pmHey Diarmuid, delighted to see you back. Yes turn up Wednesday, Collect your number and run. We will prob be using chip timing Wednesday but no charge for first chip. You can collect this Wednesday too. Your voucher from 2016 is still good to use. See you then.
John BellApr 10 2018, 1:31pmFinal reminder that on-line registration closes this evening at 6:00.

As per Pól's message below we will be using the chip timing so please bring your timing chips if you already collected it. Anyone who hasn't collected their chip can get theirs when they are registering.
Mark EganApr 10 2018, 8:16pmHey, Just missed the 6pm cut-off to purchase for entry,
Can I still register somehow?
Mark EganApr 10 2018, 8:16pmHey, Just missed the 6pm cut-off to purchase for entry,
Can I still register somehow?
John ShielsApr 10 2018, 8:37pmHi Mark,
You are registered for the year so you just need a race voucher. Someone at the start will sell you one from their card for 5 euros. If not I'll be there and can sort you out.
John
Edel KeenehanApr 10 2018, 11:53pmI missed the deadline too! Hoping I can do the same! I’ll bring cash! I think I had registered for previous postponed races (due to weather conditions) maybe the can carry over ?!
Ruaidhri FernandesApr 11 2018, 12:04amHi, I'm registered for the race but can't find my number. I'm number 573 for 2018. Can I still run the race or do I need to get a new number?
Thanks,
Ruaidhri
John BellApr 11 2018, 8:13amRuaidhri, once you're registered with IMRA for 2018 we can sort you out with a voucher at registration this evening. Talk to me when you get there.

ALL, REMINDER OF THE EARLY START OF 7:00.

Hopefully the M50 / N11 traffic won't be too bad this evening!
John BellApr 11 2018, 8:13amRuaidhri, once you're registered with IMRA for 2018 we can sort you out with a voucher at registration this evening. Talk to me when you get there.

ALL, REMINDER OF THE EARLY START OF 7:00.

Hopefully the M50 / N11 traffic won't be too bad this evening!
Ruaidhri FernandesApr 11 2018, 1:18pm@john bell
Thanks John. It's my race number I've misplaced just to confirm, not my voucher so hope I can still race. I still have my timer chip. Thanks,Ruaidhri
Gordon PlaceApr 11 2018, 1:39pmRuaidhri,
I think a replacement number is €5
James H CahillApr 11 2018, 9:24pmThank you John and all your volunteers for a great scoot around the spooky dark and misty trails of Djouce. Great fun and a great run. Thank you all.
Tanya SheridanApr 11 2018, 11:17pmThanks to John and his team. The first race is a lot more work for the volunteer team so thanks to everyone who came out to stand in the cold for so long. The course was great and really well marked - thanks to you all for a great event.
Caoimhin MacMaolainApr 12 2018, 9:38amThanks very much John and volunteers for a great race last night. I thought that it was all really well organised and the course was very well marked, making it easy to stay on track despite the fog.
James ClancyApr 12 2018, 10:06amThanks a mil to John and crew for a great race last night. The event was very well organised and in tough conditions. The early year trail league seems to be a great new format. Thank again all.
James ClancyApr 12 2018, 10:06amThanks a mil to John and crew for a great race last night. The event was very well organised and in tough conditions. The early year trail league seems to be a great new format. Thank again all.
John J BarryApr 12 2018, 10:10amWell done to John and his crew for last night. A cracking night out in wild Wicklow. Think the bringing forward of the trail league was a good idea. I got out four athletics from my club DSD who never ran on trails before.
Brendan LawlorApr 12 2018, 11:22amThank you and well done to John and his team for a great opening Wednesday at a foggy and spooky and mucky Earls Drive!

Special thanks to the marshals - it was pretty miserable out there
Ross FitzgeraldApr 12 2018, 11:41amWell done to all the team last night, made it a very enjoyable first mucky Wed jaunt for me.
Just one quibble - my name doesn't appear in results, looks like my number (526) was mistaken for 536. I blame the fog ;)
Thanks to all again!
Niall McGuinnessApr 12 2018, 11:46amWhat wonderful, spooky, mucky fun. I foolishly thought trail league = flat = easy-peasy. Even the flat bits were a slog with all the puddles and mud. Was lured into a false sense of security by the downhill start too. Impossible not to go off too fast. For the rest I clung on as runner after runner passed me, many spotting I could do with a word of encouragement. Then, all too soon, the finishing line appeared out of the gloom.

Many thanks to John and to everyone who gave up their evenings so we could have fun. Loved running through the rivers!
Laura FlynnApr 12 2018, 11:53amWell done to John and the Brothers Bell and all the other volunteers on a really well organised race last night. It was great fun for the runners but probably not for the poor marshalls so thanks a million to them in particular.

Also, great to see three generations of the Doherty family out last night...looks like young James will be well able to keep the flag flying.
Miriam MaherApr 12 2018, 12:03pmThanks John, Dermot and all the rest of the super volunteers for an excellent first Wednesday night race of the year. So enjoyable and the spooky mist just added to the whole atmosphere. Great to see so many junior runners out.
Miriam MaherApr 12 2018, 12:03pmThanks John, Dermot and all the rest of the super volunteers for an excellent first Wednesday night race of the year. So enjoyable and the spooky mist just added to the whole atmosphere. Great to see so many junior runners out.