Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Race

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Conor McElroyFeb 6 2018, 5:28pmHi There, when do you anticipate registration will be open for 2018 team entries?
The 2018 WWRelay event page says registration is closed - is this a hangover from 2017 or applies currently?

thanks
Mick HanneyFeb 6 2018, 7:53pmThis is the event stub for the solo race. Registration will be open in good time and advertised well beforehand. In general race entry only opens shortly beforehand for regular races, slightly beforehand for the bigger events
Lillian DeeganApr 13 2018, 3:49pm****** Race Update *****

With the Wicklow Way Race in operation for the past 5 year, we have managed to get the required permits to run a reverse route for its 6th outing. The 127km route will have a midnight gun time from Clonegal, Co. Carlow to have all competitors reaching Marlay Park by 21:00 on the Saturday. The 21hr timeline as with years prior, will remain. CP's and route Cut-Offs will also be similar to years prior. Reg. will take place beside Marlay Park on the Friday evening with transport to be made available at a minimal cost to all. I will be in a position to advise on this cost once I have a definite headcount of competitors in advance of race day.

I will update the main page in short. Any queries, please email wicklowwayrace@gmail.com

Mick HanneyApr 13 2018, 6:55pmAdded my name as helper. Could assist, say at Ironbridge, depending on how the CPs and cut-off times to be confirmed.
Lillian DeeganApr 13 2018, 9:51pm.
Thanks for that Mick. With Ironbrige coming in shy of 50k on the reverse route, it is likely this will be an early morning CP this year. I'll check in with you in due course, no pressure. I would like to be in a position to allocate the CP spots as best possible to suit everyone come race day. This will be dependant on the volunteer pool to be. Who knows, there might be an added bonus volunteer point set-up, for this years WW Race owing to the extra hours this kind of distance event requires. John & Gareth - cheers guys. I'll be in touch.

For anyone interested in volunteering for this one - with the race finishing in Dublin this year, it should make it easier for more help this side of the route. Please do pop your name in to help or send an email if you need to double check anything prior to signing up as a volunteer. Tia all.
Mick HanneyApr 13 2018, 10:07pmIronbridge early morning would suit. I'm living only 15 mins away from there. Talk nearer the time.
Gavin ByrneApr 19 2018, 7:50amHi. Has registration open yer?
Jason DowlingApr 19 2018, 8:06amIt doesn't appear to be opened yet as it's not available in the product page (yet). When it does open, it'll be open for a while so keep checking but I'd imagine it'll be open relatively soon.
Lillian DeeganApr 23 2018, 11:54am.
Thanks for that Jay. We've white smoke this morning, we're good to go :)

*** Race Update ***

Race entry has officially opened this morning. It will close on May 7th or before if competitor capacity is reached. The event this year is capped at 80 runners owing to the likely volunteer pool on race day. I can advise all, we have 50 people accounted for with an OK to enter having reviewed their supplied race criteria. Race entry costs 60 Euro - non refundable and non transferable.

If you wish to enter, you need to send through race history of a 50km or greater race completed in 2017/18 in order to be considered for entry to this event. Send your detail to wicklowwayrace@gmail.com

We will have Primal Tracking with us again this year to track each runner. IMRA continues to subsidise the cost for these trackers.

Re: Transport to the start line: There will be a cost per head for the transport down south. Once entry closes, I will be in a position to confirm for all competitors what the exact cost is. For now, I expect the cost to be around 10-15 Euro. It is dependant on how many runners we have when entry closes. Our Webmaster will make a link available for all runners to pay in advance for this transport cost. We will not be dealing with cash on the night at registration. The cost once paid, will be non refundable. You will need to have paid before race day. More anon

I would urge you not to hang about if your looking to enter. I will be closing the option to get in as soon as I reach the cap of 80. No exceptions I'm afraid.
Lillian DeeganApr 23 2018, 12:32pm.
Re: Check Points, Cut-Off's and Drop Bags:

17km - Raheenakit - 02:30 - This will be a water station only.

26km - The Dying Cow - 03:45 - 1st drop bag location.

50km - Iron Bridge - 07:30 - 2nd drop bag location.

63km - Glenmalure - 09:45 - Half way marker. 3rd drop bag location will be across from the hotel in the car park.

80km - Glendalough - Old Military Road crossing - 12:45 - 4th drop bag location. The race will only begin here. I have moved us up from the CP of old in this area for two reasons. Firstly, we will hit Glendalough on a likely busy June weekend mid morning. I am bringing all up out of the tourist trap. And secondly, possibly more importantly, to get away from the little early morning blood suckers. We are less likely to have midges by the road crossing. The only nibbling that should be done in the new location will be you as you prep for the hills for home.

104km - Crone Woods - 16:45 - 5th drop bag location.

115km - Boranaraltry Bridge - 18:45 - 6th and final drop bag location.

NB: Re Drop Bags - Glenmalure, Glendalough and Crone Woods:
We will endeavour to get your drop bag from these locations returned to Marlay Park for you. With all other noted locations, I would strongly urge you to only place what you are willing to forget about in them.

With the now detailed CP's and Cut-Offs shown, I must advise all racers, cut off times will be enforced to the exact minute. We'll have no drama or diva like behaviours. If you miss it you miss it. I am saying this in order to not have my volunteers out longer than detailed above and so you are also aware well in advance - cut offs will be strictly enforced on race day.

With regard to any competitor needing to pull from the race - we will do our best to arrange a lift for you to Marlay Park or where ever is best for you as a collection point for someone to meet you. But you might need to wait for a time.

So I think for now that is all from me. All is left to say is good luck building your hill legs - your gonna need 'em.
Luke RaffertyApr 23 2018, 2:08pmAdded myself as a helper Lillian
John McCannApr 23 2018, 2:37pmHi Lillian, from a volunteering standpoint first preference is Glenmalure as its closest to where I live. Speak closer to the time but just letting you know.
Lillian DeeganApr 24 2018, 5:43am.
Thanks for that Luke - Will do the same as last year CP wise if it works for you. Talk in time.
John, your kidding me. Ain't you ever done the céilí Friday nights in the Cow? They are savage in the summer time :) Joking aside, no probs.
Lillian DeeganApr 24 2018, 6:51pm.
Many thanks for that Turbo - it's great knowing your free to help. Talk soon.

Hi all,
I'm on to advise I've 70 racers in as of 18h this eve. That's great going in a day - fair play all! I have been weather checking today and for now, it's looking like we'll have a dry run of sorts come race day. Regardless of partial sunshine and a likely need for the sunnies during the day, your mandatory kit needs to be carried throughout the race. The noted gear will be checked very closely at registration. You won't get to race if you do not have all required listed items. No maybes, if or buts with this safety aspect of the race.
Mick HanneyApr 25 2018, 10:48amHi Lillian, can you pop me an email please. I just want to check something but don't want to clutter up this thread.
hanneymick at gmail.com thanks.
Lillian DeeganApr 25 2018, 8:38pm.
With race capacity of 80 entrants reached before lunch today, I have had a number of people on to ask if there is a wait list in operation. By reply, I wish to note for all - there won't be a waiting list run off for this event. The admin side needs linking back for Transport, Trackers and Trophies for everyone who got in before the cap. I will however speak to those above me and see if anything can be done to open shop again. No promises mind.

**** Volunteer Call****
Guys the time has come for the annual WW Race call for check point help. As above, we have a definite 80 runners for race day now in. We might loose one or two before gun time. I would very much appreciate trying to place our IMRA hands about the course as best possible to suit you. If your fancy free on Fri. eve. June 8th OR Sat. June 9th from as early morn as poss, I'd love to hear from you. This race can only happen with your aid. All and any amt. of time offers welcome. Thanks all.
Jason DowlingApr 25 2018, 10:54pmHi Lillian,

Given that there's going to be no chipper this year, would you by any chance know what time the ice-cream van that normally parks beside the start/finish sign goes home at on a summer evening :)

Might be an extra incentive for people to get home early!!

Cheers,
Jason.
Lillian DeeganApr 25 2018, 11:55pmWell now.... fancy that. The Parks man is on me to do for 1st thing for the am Jay. We'll get a Mr Whippy contact No. and make a special request - no bothers at all. A great idea. On it like a car bonnet!
Lillian DeeganApr 26 2018, 1:15am.
Just a quickie - the option to purchase an entry for those who missed the cut will be available this morning Thur. from 10am. This option will only be available till 10pm tonight. A one time offer only.
Mick HanneyApr 26 2018, 11:00am@Jason - you can have your chips in Clonegal before you start :-)
The question is where will Robbie Williams serve his rasher sambos this year.
Never mind at the end, a Mr. Whippy at Crone wood might be an extra incentive people might need before the last climbs.
John MurrayApr 26 2018, 1:29pmWTF! Full already?

You dont check the forum for 2 days and you miss out on a big race you've been training for. Really should state when you are going to open registration for events like this with limited numbers.

:(
John MurrayApr 26 2018, 1:46pmI've just noticed that the event is still listed on the IMRA Products page so assuming (ie.fingers /toes etc crossed) that the powers that be reopened for additional runners?
Stephen BrennanApr 26 2018, 1:53pm@John Murray - see Lillian's post above - entry has been reopened for today only, so now is your last chance
Lillian DeeganApr 26 2018, 2:14pm.
Tut tut John Murray - I would direct you to my forum post of Apr. 13th at 3:49pm. And specifically the last line for queries to the gmail add. I don't deal with divas I'm afraid. If you think I'm bad now, wait till race day :) :)
Laura FlynnApr 26 2018, 2:35pmAnd the last thing the director needs or wants are aggressive posts like that John
Warren SwordsApr 26 2018, 3:25pmThink as IMRA, we can do better to communicate with members.

I sympathise with John who almost missed entering the race as he hadn't checked the IMRA forum for a couple of days.

The first official announcement that race entries were open was April 23rd. Following by sold out on April 25th.

As of April 19th, experienced IMRA runners were asking when entries open. It's a fair point to ask for more notice as to when a race opens, particularly when the limit is so low.

This is not specifically about this race but IMRA in general.
Mark RaleighApr 26 2018, 3:44pmHi Lillian, put myself down as a helper, wouldn't mind if it was at Crone, B bridge or at the finish if that was OK. Thanks, Mark
Lillian DeeganApr 26 2018, 3:48pm.
Thanks Warren. While I see the merit with your comments, I will confirm again - When entries to this race opened, I already could account for 50 racers. If those 50 people could follow the ask from April 19th or before to send queries to the specified race gmail add. Then so could any number to be fair.

As for the comment on entry opening and the limit being so low for this event - You know yourself how hard getting volunteers can be owing to IMRA being non commercial set up. Our race cap. for the WW Race is highlighted with regard to available help on the day.

Regardless, we can always review how better to plan for next year with this event and look at any others that might show similar possible concerns.
Lillian DeeganApr 26 2018, 4:04pmMark, that's wonderful. Many thanks. I'll note your request and revert once I have a better idea of all available help for race day.
John MurrayApr 26 2018, 6:50pm@Laura Flynn - I dont think my post was agressive at all. If you re-read it you’ll find it was more pure Shock, followed by a query, follwed by a rant at myself, followed by a suggestion for improvement! ;)
Damian KellyApr 26 2018, 7:16pmHi Lillian,

You can put me down as a helper and i can do either Glenmalure or Glendalough if that will be ok with you.

Cheers Damian
Lillian DeeganApr 26 2018, 7:18pmLet's move on to find a clam after the storm. Me nice clean page is looking to find a white flag. I'm sure it's there somewhere.
Lillian DeeganApr 26 2018, 7:24pm.
Sure will Damien, cheers. And by the by.... You have till 22h to enter using last years winning ticket. Can't I tempt you somehow :) :)
Damian KellyApr 26 2018, 9:12pmThanks for the offer Lillian, but I will look forward to helping out this year and give as much encouragement as possible to all the runners.
Cheers Damian.
Paul CrokeApr 26 2018, 9:18pmThanks for the extra opening day Lillian (:
The Excitement, can we start now :O
John MollohanApr 26 2018, 9:59pmDelighted to get the extra day to enter because I too had not checked the forum for two days whilst I was away. In general, I think it would be useful to open entries for the longer races 3 or 4 months in advance of start date, but maybe it is difficult to sort out permits etc that far ahead of a race. Its just about balancing and race directors have a lot on their plates already.
Also, I really do not think John was being aggressive, and I think it is not fair to say that he was. I don't know him from Adam, but I felt similarly stunned when I saw that entries were closed, so I think he was just gutted.
White flag is right! Racers at the ready! :-)
Paolo GirolamiApr 27 2018, 1:59pmHi Lillian,

I am running but considering there seem to be some 70 people this, if registration and gear check is in Marley, I can easily be early and help with registration.

My own gear check would have to be done by somebody else - for conflict of interest! : )

If I can help that way, feel free to add me to the list of running volunteers - I don't seem to be able to do that myself!
Brendan NevilleApr 27 2018, 2:12pmLillian, also available to help with registration like Paolo - if needed. Regards, Brendan
Bram JansenApr 29 2018, 10:11amAdd me to the list of disappointed people. I last checked last weekend, and there was no registration yet. Now I check it again, just a week later, and it's sold out. I've been training for this since last year and I've checked this website to register once every weekend for the last couple of months.

There should have been an announcement when registration would open and close, so everybody would have a fair chance.
Bram JansenApr 29 2018, 3:35pmI suppose the real reason that people are caught out is that there is a cap on registrations this year. Out of the blue.
Paolo GirolamiApr 29 2018, 4:24pmI am not sure if I am the only one who noticed it but there were announcements on both on the forum and WWR Facebook page. The message clearly stated there would be a cap and the race entry would close either of May 7th or earlier if maximum capacity would be reached. Race directors don't have crystal balls and can't predict the number of entrants on the first day will double compared to the previous year or triple compared to 2015.

Pasted from above:
"*** Race Update ***

Race entry has officially opened this morning. It will close on May 7th or before if competitor capacity is reached. The event this year is capped at 80 runners owing to the likely volunteer pool on race day. I can advise all, we have 50 people accounted for with an OK to enter having reviewed their supplied race criteria. Race entry costs 60 Euro - non refundable and non transferable."
Lillian DeeganApr 29 2018, 7:11pm.
Paolo & Brendan - Thanks v much for the offer to help pre race lads. Although, I'd be hopeful enough others will hop in to aid on reg. eve. And I would like to keep ye fancy free to focus on your own race day needs. I'll keep ye in for the mo and only ask for help if I'm stuck. Thanks again ;)

Bram Jansen - Sorry to see your disappointed. It's a shocker when that happens. I'm away off at the moment. Once I get back to the desk, I'll be running through the last of the entries which came in Thursday. I need to ensure all race required criteria info's were sent my way prior to ppl entering for the admin aspect. Should a spot come available against those in to date, I will get in touch with you. Can I ask that you send me your relevant past race history of a 50k or greater from 2017/18 to meet the requested entry criteria? Pls email wicklowwayrace@gmail.com
Paul O'CallaghanApr 30 2018, 9:40pmHi Lillian, I'll put my name down for volunteer if you can use me at registration Friday night in Marlay.
Lillian DeeganMay 1 2018, 11:06am.
Thanks Grace, Vivian and Paul. I'll be in touch. Paul - I've noted your request. No probs.
Stephen Mc CabeMay 2 2018, 1:27pmHi Lillian, I put myself down as a helper and I’m happy to help wherever is needed. Stephen
Paolo GirolamiMay 2 2018, 1:32pmI have a question on the mandatory kit. I'm posting it on the forum as it might be of interest to others too.

Are either the waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers or both required to have taped seams?
Thanks in advance!
Lillian DeeganMay 2 2018, 2:11pm.
Stephen - Cheers. I'll be in touch in time.

Paolo - Thanks for highlighting the Q. The answer is yes. I will be circulating specific info's on the Mandatory Kit requirements for race day to all competitors in the next day or two via gmail.
Lillian DeeganMay 8 2018, 10:02amRe: Laptop - Conor O'Farrell - Thanks for the offer Conor. As it happens we don't have a need to use the laptop for this race. Primal Tracking deals with all the timing admin side of things for us at Reg. and throughout the event itself. The tracker on each runner controls their finish time et al. Might you be ok to pop in further down on the other "helper" section?

Competitors - Your race day Road Book went out last Friday evening via gmail. The same contact noted the need to get your bus seat sorted for transport to the start line in Clonegal. Transport will leave Dublin from 21h with Reg. closing at 20:45 sharp. The IMRA shop option for your bus seat will close on May 18th. Thanks to the 25 people that have sorted their seat so far. Any queries on the transport, please do ask via our gmail address.
Conor O'FarrellMay 8 2018, 10:26amSure thing Lillian, I'm available for anything.
Lillian DeeganMay 15 2018, 5:01pm.
A reminder to those who are looking for transport to the start line for this event - the shop option to get your seat sorted will close this Friday, May 18th at 18hrs. After this date, anyone who has not got a seat sorted or been in touch with me, will need to find their own way to Clonegal once Reg. wraps in Dublin. IMRA shop transport link - https://www.imra.ie/shop/products
Olivier Van ParysMay 20 2018, 9:30pmFolks
I am trying to find the .gpx file to download (good signage or not I will find a way to get lost - 100% guaranteed).

Also - is there any section between 2 pitstop that would be run mostly on Tarmac? I am trying to figure out if it may make sense to drop a pair of road runners at one of the pit stop as my trail running are too uncomfortable on the road

Thanks
I am trying to find the .gpx file to download (good signage or not I will find a way to get lost - 100% guaranteed).

Also - is there any section between 2 pitstop that would be run mostly on Tarmac? I am trying to figure out if it may make sense to drop a pair of road runners at one of the pit stop as my trail running are too uncomfortable on the road

Thanks

Thanks
Olivier Van ParysMay 20 2018, 9:31pmFolks
Olivier Van ParysMay 20 2018, 9:31pmFolks - I am trying to find the .gpx file to download (good signage or not I will find a way to get lost - 100% guaranteed). Also is there any section between 2 pitstop that would be run mostly on Tarmac? I am trying to figure out if it may make sense to drop a pair of road runners at one of the pit stop as my trail running are too uncomfortable on the road
Olivier Van ParysMay 20 2018, 9:31pmFolks - I am trying to find the .gpx file to download (good signage or not I will find a way to get lost - 100% guaranteed). Also is there any section between 2 pitstop that would be run mostly on Tarmac? I am trying to figure out if it may make sense to drop a pair of road runners at one of the pit stop as my trail running are too uncomfortable on the road
Olivier Van ParysMay 20 2018, 9:32pmFolks - I am trying to find the .gpx file to download (good signage or not I will find a way to get lost - 100% guaranteed). Also is there any section between 2 pitstop that would be run mostly on Tarmac? I am trying to figure out if it may make sense to drop a pair of road runners at one of the pit stop as my trail running are too uncomfortable on the road
Sarah BradyMay 21 2018, 9:36amHi Olivier,

The first 26k as far as CP2 Dying Cow is mostly road/gravel paths. But if you change there you might need somebody to look after your road shoes as I don't think those drop bags are going to be returned. You could possibly even wear road shoes as far as Ironbridge (the first 50-52k of the race) as there is a lot of road to there also and nowhere you'd need a lot of grip.
I'm no help with your other question – not good with technology. :P

Sarah
Olivier Van ParysMay 21 2018, 4:03pmThanks Sarah - that's really helpful. One last question, are poles something "strongly recommended" or more like "nice to have"? Just wondering to what extent they are worth the extra weight?
Olivier Van ParysMay 21 2018, 4:04pmThanks Sarah - that's really helpful. One last question, are poles something "strongly recommended" or more like "nice to have"? Just wondering to what extent they are worth the extra weight?
Conor O'FarrellMay 21 2018, 4:17pmHi Olivier

If you look at the Wicklow Way Relay event page(https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1578), there are links for each leg on plotaroute.com. You can GPX files from here.

Keep in mind 2 things: 1. the Ultra route is in reverse, and; 2. It is a different route from Dying Cow towards the south, so if you can find your way to the dying cow from the start(approx 20km into the Ultra???) and pick up the trail from there, you should be good.
Jason DowlingMay 21 2018, 8:16pmHi Oliver,

I have put together a draft route for you which you can view at https://www.plotaroute.com/route/616043. I have a plotaroute account and was able to download the route in a number of formats including GPX (and they have a beta FIT which I haven't tried yet) but there's plenty of convertors out there should you need a FIT format file. To view the profile of the route, select Menu -> Hills (it's not visible by default).

I'll add to the map later on in the week/this weekend to add checkpoints etc. Hopefully this'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

As for poles and further to Sarah's response, you definitely won't need poles before Ironbridge (which is roughly 50km in). From there afterwards, they could come in handy but it all depends on your own preference. Virtually all of the trail on the Wicklow Way is in good to very good condition but there's one or two climbs at the end where you might be wishing you brought poles!!

Hope that helps, but feel free to post any further questions and we'll do our best to help as much as we can.

Happy running,
Jason.
Torben DahlMay 21 2018, 9:03pmThanks Sarah. Yes, only a drop bag from CP 4, 5, 6 will be brought back to the finish line.
Dave DochertyMay 22 2018, 10:18amLillian, put my name down to volunteer. I might have some kids with me on the day, if that is a problem let me know and I'll bow out if needs be. Thanks
Dave DochertyMay 22 2018, 10:18amLillian, put my name down to volunteer. I might have some kids with me on the day, if that is a problem let me know and I'll bow out if needs be. Thanks
Colin BellMay 23 2018, 8:44pmHi all,

On the subject of poles, I don't see it mentioned that they need to be carried from start to finish so was wondering about picking them up somewhere like Ironbridge.

Is that allowed/not allowed/allowed but not in the spirit of the race?

Thanks!
Graham ColmerMay 25 2018, 4:19pmInterested to know the answer to what Colin is asking regarding poles.

Thanks
Richard NunanMay 25 2018, 4:26pmThere is no rule in terms of if you have poles have them at the end. In and out of the drop bag or your back pack at your leisure. Is how it has been up to now
Torben DahlMay 25 2018, 8:18pmThanks Richard, for clarifying while our RD is out of the country. Please note that any poles and dropbags will only be brought back to finish line from CP 4, 5, 6, and there will be no transport of poles/bags between CPs. Thanks.
Mick HanneyMay 25 2018, 10:44pmWalking poles in Wicklow? Pick up a couple of long sticks along the way lads if and when you need them like Joe in Annagh hill last year.
Torben DahlMay 26 2018, 2:45pmBrilliant idea Mick, this is more in spirit with the race! A set of hand crafted walking sticks has been added to the winners prize, proudly sponsored by Hanney Sticks.
Jason DowlingMay 26 2018, 10:16pmHi Torben,

Could you clarify the place names for checkpoints 4,5 and 6 please? I know Rakeenakit is classified as a water station but it has a time cut-off associated with it. As such, I'm assuming that it's also a checkpoint. If Raheenakit is a checkpoint then checkpoints 4,5 and 6 would be Glenmalure, Glendalough and Crone Woods. Is this correct?

Cheers,
Jason.
Torben DahlMay 26 2018, 10:39pmHi Jason, you are spot on! Cheers
Lillian DeeganMay 27 2018, 1:07pm.
Olivier Van Parys: Here's hoping Jason's link aided your gpx query. I would also ask that you open your mandatory kit map before race day and familiarise yourself with the route from there too.

Re: Your query on shoe change options - Glenmalure (CP4) the half way marker, will be your 1st of 3 options for a shoe change on the route. Only CP's 4, 5 and 6 drop bags will be returned to the finish line for collection.

Dave Docherty: Thanks for the offer. I'll pop you in and come back to you via our gmail to confirm detail. Cheers.

Colin Bell: No hard and fast rule here Colin. It's totally your call on where you work with the poles from. All I would advise of is - if they are to be popped in your drop bag for Iron Bridge, be sure to have them in a sturdy bag for transport to the CP. And if you want to drop them at a later stage mid race, do so at Crone CP6. Crone is the last CP where drop bags will be returned to Marlay Park for collection.
Lillian DeeganMay 27 2018, 1:12pmFurther to Jason's ask, I am clarifying all named/numbered checkpoints.

CP1 - Raheenakit
CP2 - The Dying Cow
CP3 - Iron Bridge
CP4 - Glenmalure
CP5 - Glendalough
CP6 - Crone Woods
CP7 - Boranaraltry Bridge
Finish Marlay Park.
Lillian DeeganMay 27 2018, 8:46pmWith confirmed competitor numbers dealt with my end, I have updated the race detail page to reflect allocated registration/ Sign-in times for everyone.

Reg. will be done from 18:30 to 20:45 upstairs by the bar in St. John's GAA Clubhouse beside Marlay Park on Friday eve. June 8th. Same detail as noted in Road Book as circulated previously.

Shower options will be available in the GAA Clubhouse post race for anyone who wishes to avail of same. Pack a towel in your dry bag, I'll not be supplying the same.

** Volunteers**
Miriam and Luke - thanks a mil for popping in here. If anyone else finds they might have free time on Friday evening for Reg or on the Saturday of race day, do get in touch.

Thanks all.
Olivier Van ParysMay 27 2018, 9:02pmThanks for all the great advice folks
Jason - this mapping tool is trully awesome, especially the plotting you have done (with all the CPs, that s really class, sadly I will only have myslef to blame if I get lost!). Thanks again for sharing!
Olivier Van ParysMay 27 2018, 9:02pmThanks for all the great advice folks
Jason - this mapping tool is trully awesome, especially the plotting you have done (with all the CPs, that s really class, sadly I will only have myslef to blame if I get lost!). Thanks again for sharing!
Lillian DeeganMay 27 2018, 9:12pm.
Phew!..... That is really great news Olivier. Our chief dot watcher Jeff will rest easier for the 21hrs. Although, I'll red flag bib No.110 just incase :)

Jay D little star. Many thanks ;)
Jason DowlingMay 28 2018, 9:45pm@Torben: Thanks for the earlier clarification.

@Olivier: Let's know if you were able to download the GPX file route and use it on your phone/watch. One thing I've discovered is that while the GPX file format is a standard, that doesn't mean that all the viewers implement the standard so make sure this does not catch you out on race-day.

Also, a link of the route by the company who do the tracking is normally made available a couple of days beforehand. The handy thing is here is that you can track yourself provided you've got phone coverage.
Olivier Van ParysMay 28 2018, 9:53pmThanks for the tps Jason - yes I was able to download the GPX and it seems to work OK, although for those with Garmin the beta FIT format could be one worth downloading, it seems more feature rich compared to the GPX

One last question regarding water carriage, is 1.5l enough between CPs? I know it varies for individuals but just wondering if this is woughly the right amount to carry?
Raymond RussellMay 29 2018, 3:52am@Jason Dowling, thank you so much for posting the route on plotaroute.com - super job, and it will be very helpful on the day. For reference, I was able to download it and open it on an iPhone with the free ARA GPX app.
Raymond RussellMay 29 2018, 4:14am@Olivier, as regards water, I'll be bringing capacity for 3.5L to get me through the longer legs, especially Glendalough to Crone Woods when it might be warmer. I do tend to drink a fair bit, especially on the longer runs, so 1.5L might be enough for you but it sounds a bit tight to me.
Roger TegartMay 29 2018, 9:28amTrying to decide on CP 3 or CP 4 for changing from road shoes to trail shoes. Any advice?
Roger TegartMay 29 2018, 9:28amTrying to decide on CP 3 or CP 4 for changing from road shoes to trail shoes. Any advice?
Sarah BradyMay 29 2018, 10:10amHi Roger,
If you have a crew or someone to take care of your road shoes then CP3 would be better. If you don't have crew you might have to go with CP4 as CP3 drop bags are not being brought to the finish. The section from CP3 to CP4 has lots of steep climbs and grassy sections and board walks where I'd prefer to be in trail shoes, but if you're pretty comfortable with running mixed terrain in your road shoes you should be ok as there's lots of fireroad too and nothing really technical. Hope that helps. :)
Sarah
Lillian DeeganJun 1 2018, 10:00pm.
Evening all,

With our event a week away today, I am on to confirm we will have an open evening in St John's GAA clubhouse, Ballinteer, off Grange Road on Tuesday June 5th from 19:30 till 21:00. Notice went out to all racers via our gmail link earlier this past week.

The open evening is being held to run through race day matters. It will finish with a Q&A should people have any specific queries. We will have Eoin Keith and Graham Bushe as guest speakers on the night. Both have kindly offered their time to talk and tell of their woes from running the race route from Clonegal to Marlay Park. Don Hannon was also invited, I have not heard back as yet.

In true IMRA race style, we will pass about our little colourful numbered tickets for spot prizes. We have Adventure.ie from Laragh offering a grand number of course places on a runner’s navigation evening – the instructor for this is a very well known IMRA runner. We will have Dynafit.com also offering goodies from their range on the evening. Primal Tracking have preferred to be there to answer any queries runners might have too.

Adventure.ie have said they will have the mandatory kit items with them on Tuesday evening, should anyone need to stock up prior to this night week.

It would be great to see as many racers possible at St Jonhs next Tuesday from 19:30.

*** Volunterrs***
Lads, I'm asking again for help with this 80 mile distance event. Our race day head count is double that of years prior. The anticipated IMRA help offering has not been as great as was hoped for unfortunately. As it stands, I have some of my helpers double jobbing again this year.

A week out from gun time, I am on to ask for help with registration on Friday June 8th from 18:00 to 21:30 approx. And for help at varied checkpoints on Saturday June 9th. Happy to try and work around your time allowances - email me on wicklowwayrace@gmail.com and we will figure whatever.
Paul BoothJun 4 2018, 9:55amPlanning Drop Bags? - Could I ask if or what food is available at check points please? just trying to plan what to place in each drop bag. Also, will water be provided at each check point or should we include extra in drop bags? Cheers, Paul.
Lillian DeeganJun 5 2018, 11:49am.
Hi Paul,
We will have water, fruit (apples, bananas and oranges), jellies, chocolate and mixed salty crisps from CP2 onwards.

CP1 - Raheenakit will have water only.
Graham ColmerJun 5 2018, 12:51pmAny chance of an entrants list Lillian ? :-)
Lillian DeeganJun 5 2018, 1:05pmHi ya Graham,
Yep, there is every chance :) I'm just waiting on runner 110 to be listed on the tracker setup. I will then post a link, it will show all named racers. If it comes through today, I will pop it up for all to review. More anon :)
Greg SoutieaJun 5 2018, 5:08pmHi all!

I am traveling over for the race from Boston, USA and unfortunately my friend who lives in Dublin had to change plans unexpectedly leaving me without a crew for the event.

I was hoping to get lucky and strike a crew up for the race. I am hoping to finish in the 14-15 hour range and will have everything well planned out for anyone willing/able to help.

I am more than willing to treat to post race dinner/beers and pay for gas, etc. or whatever is needed. You can email me directly at gsoutiea@gmail.com or find me on Facebook if that's easier.

Thanks!
Lillian DeeganJun 5 2018, 11:11pm.
If we have anyone willing and able to help Greg out on the above, it would be very much appreciated all round.

Tomorrow, I will update in more detail on a few raised queries that came up at our open evening. For the moment, many thanks to our 30 odd runners who came to Marlay Park this evening. I am hoping you all managed to bend your ear to hear all being said by Eoin, Graham and Eddie from Primal Tracking. Boys, I am most grateful to each of you - Cheers. We pulled x6 names for Paul Nolan Nav courses with thanks to Cindy at Adventure.ie and Ross at Dynafit. Date tbc. I'll confirm more on this tomorrow.

I am now posting the tracker link. See below. The tracker No. associated with your surname will be your bib No. on race day. Do come back to me if you notice any spelling errors or have any questions.

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flive.primaltracking.com%2Fwicklowwayrace18%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ce79d9b14dbd54b0ab24f08d5cb2e22d2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636638321366201238&sdata=D0sti1aCyjeGAiO9tHJG18exNeDZFMMTMKY6BMfSldo%3D&reserved=0
Lillian DeeganJun 6 2018, 1:09pmhttp://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace/
Graham K. BusheJun 6 2018, 1:44pmfor 2018
http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace18/
Raymond RussellJun 6 2018, 10:21pmHi Lillian, quick question: Raymond C. kindly forwarded some notes on the meeting last night, and I heard there was some discussion on hi-vis. I have a pair of armbands with flashing LEDs and a reflective chest-strap - will that be sufficient to pass gear check?
Mick HanneyJun 6 2018, 10:40pmI've assembled a list of known completions.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10M7LGt83ZfRUFN1j3JLbmiF3v0MEWh0oPgBf2BuzRiM/edit?usp=sharing
Hazel ThompsonJun 7 2018, 11:15amLooks like a number of females are listed under the "Male" section.
Pamula, Agnieszka F
Quinn, Claire F
You may want to correct this.
Hazel ThompsonJun 7 2018, 11:16amLooks like a number of females are listed under the "Male" section.
Pamula, Agnieszka F
Quinn, Claire F
You may want to correct this.
Ciaran CrokeJun 7 2018, 11:28amHey, there is a small spelling error on my name (an additional 'i').
Primal have it as Ciarian. Can it be changed to Ciaran?
Cheers.
Olivier Van ParysJun 7 2018, 11:46amFolks, or perhaps the organizers can help with this one last min question: On this race what has been the most common reasons for DNF (beside lack of training!) : Blisters? Stomach / Diarrhea problems/ Else ?
Lillian DeeganJun 7 2018, 12:05pm.
Hi all,

Primal Tracking will sort the above noted issues.

Olivier - My reply would be DNF's happen in any race for a number of reasons, all pretty much similar to what you detailed. This 80 miler is no different to any other ultra race for the distance. Having your head and body prep'd for the distance is a huge bonus for reaching the finish.

Raymond Russell - With the gmail reply gone, I will confirm for all - yes is the response to Ray's LED query. I will pop up other discussion items on here in short.
Raymond RussellJun 7 2018, 1:09pmHi Olivier, I got myself cut off last year at the Dying Cow. The main reason was I was just not moving fast enough - not trained enough and also I wasted time at checkpoints. I took a wrong turn and didn't have enough time to recover from my mistake. So this year my plan is to get in and out of checkpoints and keep my eye on the map!
Brendan NevilleJun 7 2018, 1:30pmOliver, as a general comment last year it rained heavy during early hours of the race and fog was down on first climbs so challenging conditions - I was at the CP in Crone. Then good conditions later in the day - typical Irish weather.
Lillian DeeganJun 7 2018, 1:33pm**Follow up to open evening**

Thanks to all who attended on Tuesday evening. I am hopeful everyone found Eoin and Graham's input useful for race day. Queries raised during the talk were -
<> 1- Use of hi-vis clothing as per the mandatory kit requirement. Eoin made mention of the greater need to ensure your hi-vis is reflective. It was suggested you take your hi-vis garment into a dark room and turn on your head light. If your garment reflects in the dark, your good to go! You will have your head light on at all times during night time hours for oncoming traffic. You will need to be seen by any traffic approaching from behind too. The use of a blinking light to be placed in your backpack or the using of those LED arm/ leg bands have now been ok'd for race day. You will need to show your reflective item in operation at kit check on Reg. night. The main thing to take from the discussion on the hi-vis query is that all runners need to be visible at all times to other road users.

<>2- Hot water supply on the route - - The Glenmalure Lodge (your 1/2 way marker) have kindly offered to do food for us. We will have hot water, tea, coffee and bacon, eggs and sausage like options. The Lodge will help us help you - if there is something else you would like, let us know. A full Irish would eat into your CP timeout but if you want it, we'll source it! Food will be available by the seated area outside tthe Lodge. For the lead men and women - I'm hoping to be able to accommodate you also. More on the at race brief in Clonegal.

<>3 - Mapping/ route signs - - A concern for all runners was raised on a possible loose WW ground post sign around the Mangan's Wood area. On Wednesday afternoon, I popped down to check the same. Mangan's Wood is off Tinahealy - I expect everyone to know this area from you map reviews. There is livestock (sheep and spring lambs) in this fern filled area, . There is x3 route signs as you approach the turning point in this open space having come out of the wood by an open yellow/black barrier. I popped in one more for good measure when below yesterday.. My best advise to runners is.... When you hit a junction, any junction, take your time to double check the direction you need to follow - The WW route signs are there.

<4> Raffle - Dynafit & Adventure.ie - We were very kindly offered x6 places on a Nav course to be run by Paul Nolan. All our 20 odd volunteers were included in the draw. The following were the 6 lucky dip ppl - I will confirm a date for the course in due course guys.
<>
<> James Heggie
<>James Curran
<>Barry Drennan
<>Raymond Cummins
<> Liam Costello
<> Dave Docherty

<>
Cindy and Ross, thanks very much for the above Nav course offering and for all aid so far with the supply of mandatory kit items.

<> Parking - We do not have open car parking options available to us in the area of Marlay Park for Reg. evening nor for anyone leaving a vehicle overnight. It is your responsibility to ensure you park your car in an area where it will not be clamped or cause problems to locals. Marlay Park closes at 22h at this time of the year.

<> Trackers - Eddie from Primal tracking ran through a few things on the use of device. You will have the chance to query anything on Reg. eve with Primal yourself. The important thing for us race wise is, should you need to pull out of the race at any stage, we will need to ensure your tracker is returned. We will have volunteers at the finish detaching the tracker from your backpack.

If I've missed anything from the open eve., please do let me know.
Richard ChurchJun 7 2018, 2:18pmHi Lillian
Thanks for the detailed update and breakfast at Glenmalure will be a great incentive. For car parking do you know if you can leave a car in Marlay Park Car Park overnight without it being clamped? I accept that it needs to be collected it before 2200 on Saturday. I know that the Lidl car park threatens clamping so thats a no-go.
Lillian DeeganJun 7 2018, 2:43pmHi Rich,
My ask here for everyone is that they pay attention to any and all parking signage in the Rathfarnmham area. Marlay will allow for parking BUT I don't want us to totally take over their car park for all day Saturday. My hope would be people will carpool as best possible or make use of the public transport options.
Mick HanneyJun 7 2018, 4:17pmI should have a basic gas stove at Ironbridge for hot water for your basic tea/coffee. No fancy coffees or flat whites :-)

No rasher sambos as that's Robbie William's speciality kept for the North-to-South years. :-)
Jim FitzharrisJun 7 2018, 9:03pmLillian,

Do you need any extra volunteers on Friday night @ registration?

I live not too far away and could help out if needed.

Refusal will not offend!

Cheers,

Jim.
Torben DahlJun 7 2018, 10:38pmThanks to all volunteers who have stepped forward for this race! Lillian e-mailed the volunteer plan to you this afternoon. If you haven't received it, please let us know.

Also, we are short on high vis vests for the volunteers, so if you have your own, could we ask you to bring that please.

Thanks! See you on Friday/Saturday.

Torben
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2018, 12:30amThanks Torben.

Jim Fitz - That would be great, thank you. See you from 17:30/18h if you can. Reg. for runners opens upstairs in the clubhouse function room from 18:30 and will close at 20:45 sharp to get the transport sorted and on the road as soon as possible. I will email you the volunteer plans now and task you with something once I see you there.
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2018, 1:09am.
Notice for all runners - Please read and be tick/ lyme disease aware.

http://www.mountaineering.ie/hillwalking/ticks/default.aspx
Ray LonerganJun 8 2018, 9:42amHi, just wondering if anyone else having trouble with the tracking website on their phones. It is working fine on my lap top. But it is very slow, with the buttons not functioning and the map freezing, on all the android phones in the house. I tried using the android browser and google chrome
Greg SoutieaJun 8 2018, 11:23amI am having the same issue with the link Ray. Actually I'm not even showing up on the entrant list there either.
Greg SoutieaJun 8 2018, 11:23amI am having the same issue with the link Ray. Actually I'm not even showing up on the entrant list there either.
Greg SoutieaJun 8 2018, 11:29amAh Ray, here is the correct link (it was a few posts up) for 2018: http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace18/ that seems to work better.
Lillian DeeganJun 8 2018, 11:33amHi guys,
Sorry about this, Im away from the desk at the mo but I can confirm the platform is being looked at by Primal Tracking presently. I was in touch with them earlier on foot of Ray’s msg.

Greg - I will figure the issue with your missing name too. Bear with me.
Annemarie SheehanJun 8 2018, 12:11pmHi guys, can I ask if the CP at Crone Woods is at the car park or somewhere further in on the trail (for supporters). Thank you!
Vivian O'GormanJun 8 2018, 12:26pmHi Annmarie the Check Point will be in the car park...
Olivier Van ParysJun 8 2018, 1:37pmSorr for asking rooking type of question but this is really unchartered territory - for the people who have experience running this type of distance - would you advise to tape your feets to prevent blisters?
as in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRmHjlGyhI
Just wondering if this overkill?
Barry DrennanJun 8 2018, 1:53pm@Olivier, a bit lump of vasaline around your toes, ball and heel should help, and if you think you will need to change your socks, put l load into your spare socks, cut and file your toenails (wouldn’t paint them but if u so wish! ) and you should be fine,
Don’t worry too much, everyone else is shitting themselves too! Enjoy the experience.
Graham ColmerJun 8 2018, 2:25pmHi Olivier,

I tape my feet with KT tape as it works for me but I wouldn't recommend trying it if you have never done so in training !
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 8 2018, 2:40pmIn relation to parking at Marlay it should be noted there is alternative parking to that on Grange Road, accessed from College Road on the south side of the park. So that's another option and it will put you directly in the path of runners as they enter the park should you wish to pick them up through the park.
Olivier Van ParysJun 8 2018, 3:05pmThanks Guys - that helps (and yes I have been stuck in the loo for the last 2 hours...). Anyone doing this race should be declared medically insane!
Conor O'FarrellJun 8 2018, 3:15pmOn that note, bring your own bog-roll.... and leave no trace! :-)
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 8 2018, 7:56pmBest of luck to all running, weather looks like it will be fantastic for a wee jaunt at midnight.

But an even bigger good luck to Lilian and her band of volunteers. Lilian has done amazing work to bring the race together this year so that you can all race this iconic route.
Adrian HennessyJun 9 2018, 4:29pmMassive thanks to Lilian and the volunteers today. It wasn’t easy for them between swarming midges in the morning to baking sun during the day. Everyone at the aid stations were super helpful and couldn’t have done more for us, short of carrying us up the mountain!

Congrats to the winners and Rory Campbell in particular for what is perhaps a S-N FKT?
Mick HanneyJun 9 2018, 5:14pmWell done Rory! And to all the competitors for a tough tough event. Was great to help out and witness at first hand their exploits.

Eoin has the S to N record - 13:06. See discussion link below. Conditions today wouldn't have been favourable for running too fast :-)
https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/3051
Barry DrennanJun 9 2018, 7:35pmThanks to Lillian and volunteers, such a huge undertaking - everything was brilliant and the extra water stop save my ass!
Ray LonerganJun 9 2018, 9:11pmCongrats to Lillian for organising this great opportunity this year to participate in such a beautiful ultra course.
The Wicklow way looked stunning both night and day under clear skies.
And big thanks to the aid station volunteers. All were so well prepped, helpful and caring
Richard NunanJun 10 2018, 9:44amWell done again to Lillian and Team on a great event - thats the best service I have had at Transitions in any race at CP 3,4,5,6 Rock in Sit down have your bottles filled while been handed your drop bag and off you go again!! I don't know how u did it with the Midges at Iron Bridge Mick Hanney - vicous!! Glad for the tourists it was in reverse - much better to finish in the Hills and then get lost in the park :-)
Richard ChurchJun 10 2018, 11:02amA huge thanks from me also to Lillian and all the volunteers. You were all amazing. I felt particularly sorry for Mick and his crew at Ironbridge who had to endure the midges whilst we could just run on. Its a day that will live in my heart.
John MollohanJun 10 2018, 11:05amWhat a fantastic day out yesterday! Moon rising, dawn chorus, rolling countryside, and buckets of runners... We all go running on our own for training etc, and it's grand, but the real craic and buzz is when you are out their running together, with or against, your peers. Mammoth kudos to Lillian and the crew to make that happen. Flawless organisation. Some of the volunteers manned several stations which is hugely committing. Sincere thanks to you all for giving us such a great day out. Going down to feed the midges in Ironbridge now... the volunteers there deserve the Freedon of Wicklow !!
Jason DowlingJun 10 2018, 12:57pmThanks to Lillian and all the volunteers yesterday for giving up so much of their time yesterday so that we could enjoy (saying that loosely!!) a run out in the hills. Given that a Wednesday night's volunteering stint will probably set you back around 3hrs, I know that many of you yesterday selflessly put in multiples of that and some even gave up a solid 24 hours of their time just to facilitate us running on the mountains (and that's not including all the work in the months previous).

The checkpoints themselves were all very efficiently run and very well stocked, though I really pitied Mick and Syl (?) at Ironbridge for having to endure a midge infestation of biblical proportions. I'd love to see the in and out times for all the competitors at this checkpoint!! The decision to set up a mini-checkpoint at Piers Gates showed great foresight and just reinforced the attention to detail shown by the RD.

Hope you all are enjoying some R&R today and thanks again for all your time and effort you put into making yesterday's race such an excellent event.
Karl MaguireJun 10 2018, 3:37pmA massive THANKS to RaceDirector and all you Volunteers (Registered & Unregistered)who helped out in every way from A.M to P.M., and made WWR2018 run smoothly.
Much appreciated!
Bram JansenJun 10 2018, 9:04pmLike all above, would like to massively thank Lilian and all the volunteers. Am amazed by how well the run was organised, super friendly volunteers everywhere. I felt guilty leaving the aid stations as there was so much thought and love put into them!
Sinéad KeoghJun 10 2018, 11:05pmTo echo whats already been said, Lillian and your team, you did an amazing job yesterday. The aid stations were like formula 1 pitstops, everything ready to go and everything we needed at hand. The volunteers at Iron bridge getting eaten alive, I don't know how ye did it, what ye put up with was every bit as tough as what us runners were going through. The decision to put in the extra water stop before Djouce was a life saver so thank you for making that call - it would have been game over for me if it wasn't there.

Having our names on our numbers was a great touch as hill walkers and casual runners would say hello by name and it was those little things that made the difference.

You all did an incredible job in some really tough conditions and thank you all for your words of encouragement. Lillian you're a rock star :)
Christopher DunneJun 11 2018, 9:20amThanks to Lillian,Torben and alll the volunteers for making this a Very well run event, i must say running into every check point felt like you had your own pit crew waiting for you they couldn’t of been more helpful.
Avril ChallonerJun 11 2018, 9:30amI'd just like to echo all the praise for Lillian and all the volunteers/supporters. The day was run beyond perfectly from start to finish.

I'd also like to particularly thank the person who gave me a choc ice at the Glendalough check point, never has an ice-cream been more appreciated!
Raymond CumminsJun 11 2018, 10:00amWhat an amazing day. Thanks Lillian and co. :-) The heat and the reverse route made it some challenge. The organisation and enthusiasm ran through the whole day!!!!

After failing to meet the cut off last year I started practising shortly afterwards the technical part up near Tilbraden where I struggled in the beginning and was delighted I had gotten the time down to a reasonable one. Then I heard it was going the opposite way. :-)

It's wonderful to be part of a group of people and feel privileged to have this as a hobby.

So many people I did not get the chance to say Hello or Congratulate. :-)

Thank You!!!! Looking forward to seeing my name as one of the finishers this year. :-)
Stephen BrennanJun 11 2018, 10:17amWell I've never seen so many midges! Wonderful day - Wicklow at it's best. A few clouds on Djouce would have been a welcome addition. Thanks to everyone involved in making this happen. Back to the drawing board now for next year!
Olivier Van ParysJun 11 2018, 12:55pmJust to echo Ray's comments. Big hat down to all the volunteers, you really were awesome! The breakfast was a super nice treat, never had a rasher that tasted that good in my life!
Graham ColmerJun 11 2018, 2:09pmWell done Olivier ! You were running strong when I was chatting to you. I agree about the rasher sambo, nicest thing I ate the whole day.
Colin CaseyJun 11 2018, 10:26pmThanks so much to Lillian and her merry band of volunteers for making this a truly remarkable day in the mountains for those of us fortunate enough to make it to the starting line. You all went above and beyond the call of duty throughout the night and day. The true spirit of IMRA was on display. Thanks so much
Lillian DeeganJun 13 2018, 5:41pm.
Just a quickie for now - For those seeking odd drop bags from Crone - CP6 in particular, I have a few items here with me. I've yet to get through the car load of stuff that left Marlay Park Saturday night. I'm back to work myself and short on time. I will post a proper msg as soon as I can. Primal Tacking are finalising a few bits for me today. I will post the gpx link for every runner to pull up their stats in short.
Lillian DeeganJun 14 2018, 6:15pmHi all,

Photos x3 of drop bag items to be claimed have been posted to the "photo" drop down on this page. Can I ask people who wish to claim their stuff to get in touch on wicklowwayrace@gmail.com - thanks.

Our Records & Results lady Karen, will update the page with our official results as soon as she has chance.
Lillian DeeganJun 14 2018, 6:22pmPrimal Tracking Official Results -
https://primaltracking.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Official-Results-Wicklow-Way-Race-2018.pdf

Runners -
If you wish to have your individual gpx file, let me know. Primal Tracking will email your link to you.
Lillian DeeganJun 15 2018, 1:33amAs I close out on the last of all things Wicklow Way Race 2018, I'm slow getting round to thanking the most important people involved in this event - our volunteers. I am only too well aware, it is so often said, without you, there would be no race. And in the case of this 80 miler gig, the same is most definitely true for the serious amount of time we seek when you offer your help. It is so pleasing to see runners post msgs to the IMRA forum thanking our helpers for aid given on race day. I have received numerous similar messages via text, gmail and FB pm's extending huge gratitude to all volunteers for the special attention give on race day - So to our 2018 helpers - guys, a million times over thanks to each and every one of you from Torben and I. We were very lucky to have such a wide scope to pull from for Reg. evening and at all CP's about the route on race day.

Our volunteers were -
On Reg. evening: Vivian O'Gorman, Stephen McCabe, Dave Docherty, Miriam and young Luke Maher, Maike Juergens, Mike Jordan, James Sharkey, James Curran, Laura Flynn, Fiona Sherrin, Gareth Little and Jim Fitzharris.

Drop bag transport lads at Reg. Conor CP4. Damian CP5. Liam CP6. James CP7.

Checkpoint volunteer people -
CP1 - Gillian and Ashling - non IMRA girls. Homies :) We'll do dinner and fine wine.
CP2 - Paul Mahon.
CP3 - Mick Hanney and Syl Ivers (nets and a wind machine thing OR relocation next time lads. I'd not accounted for the bloodsucker bothers by the river at that early hour).
CP4 - John McCann and Conor O'Farrell.
CP5 - Damian Kelly and Luke Rafferty.
CP6 - Liam Vines and Mark Raleigh.
CP7 - James Curran and Grace Egan.
Extra Water station - Ballinastoe/ Pier Gates - Vivian O'Gorman.
Marlay Park - Tanya Sheridan, Dave Docherty and Torben Dahl to see everyone home.

Also I wish to particularly thank Rose Murphy, Nicky Deacon, Pat Rodgers and all other crew people who gave a hand as the race played out. These crew people arrived at CP's and offered help just like that! Paul Mahon was on his own at the Dying Cow. Rose and Nicky gave Paul a super swift dig out setting up shop. Cheers women.

With this event in its 6th year, we had 110 competitors entered with 100 hardy souls standing on the Clonegal start line for gun time. I'm not one for bright lights, big city efforts but I might look for lights and Paddy Dunnes pub to do something pre gun time should we take this race from Clonegal again. The locals down home would be only too happy to assist with whatever.

Special thanks always goes to the Dolan family at the Cow. Every year they facilitate this race without issue. Eamonn kindly left the lights on for our night time CP2 arrivals and the elbow bending social locals made available space in the car park for our checkpoint needs. Hat tip Eamonn & Co. ;) See ye next year - night or day - always a treat!

Midgets - I just can't believe I didn't think in advance of the river under the bridge of Iron. Such early morning CP unplanned bothers Mick and Syl had to contend with. It was only Glendalough I associated hassle from them. Silly me! With the best will in the world, these two volunteers carried on regardless - fair play to both of you lads. It's gotta be a relocation for the next time this race is run South/North. Mick and Syl headed home after they closed their CP as you do having been on the go from from 3am or before most likely. I had a call from a runner saying there was difficulty in reaching Iron Bridge. Mick came back out, picked up this runner and dropped him to Glenmalure for us. Huge kudos to Mick Hanney for this added aid on race day.

The Glenmalure Lodge were on hand from early morning with hot food, tea and coffee. I had one runner ask me where was the toast and potatoes. Michael D & Co. at the lodge, many thanks for rising before dawn to get the kettle on and allowing us make use of the open space as our checkpoint location.

Glendalough 80k - Military Road crossing. I think this revised new location caught some runners by surprise on race day. I took a good few calls early Saturday morning querying where was the CP and I met one runner coming up the road, taking the long way round. I'll need to highlight this CP location in more detail next time perhaps, should it remain as a CP spot.

The sunny weather - it turned out to be one of them hot enough to fry an egg on a stone days. To the best of my knowledge we had no sunstroke incidents to record.... Phew! Vivian set up a temp. Early morning water station by the Ballinastoe turn initially and moved down to Pier Gates as the day ran on. Them chilled strawberries were just the pink limit Viv, cheers. And many thanks for the day long 08h till 16h time stint too. The short straw ;)

Checkpoint cut offs - All my CP volunteers were asked to run this race the same as one of its kind in Europe or the UK. I asked my people to ensure all cut off times were enforced to the minute. When we race away from home, this is what we are up against, clock wise, if nothing else. Hitting any of the UTMB gigs or similar, you'll get a pretty sharp learner on what time cut offs mean too. I see no point in us having a race of this calibre and not applying the same stringent cut offs on the route. And with this said, I would like to thank the runners who graciously accepted their race was over at varied checkpoints and my CP people for following through as asked.

This race always has a number of outstanding achievements from the field - none more so this year than the phenomenal finish times of our lead man and lead lady. Rory Campbell closed out a 13:34:08 race and Sarah Brady wrapping with a 16:50:04 race - superb going both of you. We had 62 finishers and massive congrats to all of you. It was no easy feat this year from a route and weather perspective. From our field of non finishers, it is great to see and hear of such an interest in returning to deal with the unfinished business.

With all of the above said, it is Raymond Cummins I am most proud of. I saw Ray fight the battle within running from Dublin to Clonegal in 2017. He fought darn hard to reach the Cow and to get further on against the clock last year. It wasn't to be back then but seeing his name pop up as an entrant for this year, well it made me smile greatly. I knew he might find the reverse route tough, simply because, well.... it is tougher to run up to Dublin within 21h than the other way. But on Saturday evening, Ray breezed into Marlay Park with time to spare and energy in the tank this year. A whopping turnaround to 2017. I'm super proud of you Ray - you are all that this race is about. Anything is possible - massive congratulations from me to you. And well done again, you did super well from CP to CP to take 'er home this time.

And I couldn't wrap here without giving a massive high 5 to our 2nd & 3rd ladies - Clare Keeley (on her Spanish legs) and our now regular IMRA Westerner, Sinead Keogh - both women managed to run pb's. Savage output on such a scorchio day women - super well done to both of you. Roll on 2019 ;) Graham Bushe, amazing output there too - a neat little wrap sheet - more power to you ;) Many happy milers in the new shoes. We have two runners whom I have every hope will return next year for their 6th outing - Liam Costello and Pants. No pressure lads :)

Our race this year was sponsored by Dynafit and Adventure.ie. Both Cindy Doyle from adventure.ie in Laragh and Ross Thompson of Dynafit gave an added flare to our race this year and we at IMRA are most grateful. We were given Dynafit trail shoes for our lead man and lady. Dynafit backpacks for our 2nd man and lady. And Adventure.ie vouchers for our 3rd man and lady. Between Dynafit and Adventure.ie we had varied age cat. prizes for our 1st man and lady under 40, for our M40 & F40 and M50 & F50. As it happens, I seem to have x1 adventure.ie voucher here. Someone didn't get there one - oopsie and sorry about that. I'll try and figure who was missed out and get it to you a sap. Again, many many thanks to Cindy and Ross for their support this year.

Cindy was in touch earlier this week asking for the open evening Nav. course prize winners. I've not sent them on as yet but it's on my to do, getting shorter, list. Cindy will arrange with Paul Nolan for a date that hopefully best suits the 6 winning people. I'll be in touch with all 6 ppl a sap.

Richie Healy ran off a grand number of Wicklow granite trophies and finisher chucks of stone once more this year. One of these pieces of stone sits nicely across the room from where I'm perched. I love its simplicity, I trust you will too. I envy those who have a collection on the go and say fair play! Richie, another fine production - thank you.

And to Eddie and Rowan at Primal Tracking - A smooth op ye have lads. Well done and thanks for everything both of you.

To my DRD Torben,
Thank heavens you can manage IT stuff, such a foreign language to me. I'd have been super lost trying to find, never mind figure, how to place so much for the Road Book links. It was such a massive relief and a huge help when you came on board. It will be a long while again before either the RD or DRD role sucks up so much time from either of us. Torben it was wonderful having you work this one with me. Thank you very much for all the help. Im delighted we are on the closing out stage :)

My final word of thanks goes to the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, Parks section. It took me a little while to convince that black was blue but we got there in the end. We at IMRA and on behalf of our runners, say thank you for allowing us to access Marlay Park on Saturday last. I'm told my runners came in from College Road and reached the finish from all sides of the park. Good job it is a mighty space. And Bryan Fennell, as our Wicklow Rural Rec. Officer, your well wishes for race day were warmly received. I'll have a word in due course and we'll take a walk (or a jog, if you insist) on an odd section or two of the route to discuss new/ replacement WW way signage. Thanks for the offer Bryan.

I will leave you now asking if you as a runner or a volunteer have any suggestions for race improvements, let us know. This is Jeff's race and he will always strive to make it as good an event as it can be.

I'm done now. No doubt I've forgotten someone, some or many things - I'll say sorry in advance just to be safe.
Liam CostelloJun 15 2018, 4:36pmThanks again Lillian for all the hard work you and the volunteers put into this to make is such a great event. All the volunteers were just great, such support. Looking forward to coming back next year.
Clare KeeleyJun 18 2018, 9:50pmA huge thank-you to Lillian and all the volunteers- it is a massive undertaking and it went so well!

So, south to north.... is it the "harder way"??!! yes or no and why??!! Thoughts??

I have stuck up race report.
Clare!
Clare KeeleyJun 18 2018, 9:51pmA huge thank-you to Lillian and all the volunteers- it is a massive undertaking and it went so well!

So, south to north.... is it the "harder way"??!! yes or no and why??!! Thoughts??

I have stuck up race report.
Clare!
Sarah BradyJun 20 2018, 9:52amI flippin love Rory's battle with the sheep! Congrats on an amazing win. And my belated thanks to all who helped out to make this race possible. :)