Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ticknock Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Maike JürgensJan 23 2018, 10:08pmHi all,

it is less than 2 weeks until the Ticknock winter race.

Volunteers:
thanks to all who have volunteered so far. We are still looking for more volunteers in particular a laptop operator. if you have specific volunteer requirements (e.g. bringing kids), please let me know and we will find you a suitable role. no harm getting the volunteering done early and close to town.

Early starts:
The race is quite short and snappy so there will be no official early start. Even at 300% you should only be out for just over 100 minutes. There will be a junior/short course option if you do not feel comfortable attempting the full distance. If you do feel the need to do an early start, please speak to myself at registration. Unofficial early starts will not appear in the results.

Route:
Despite it being a highly frequented area, the route is very technical. Fell running shoes with proper grip are recommended especially if there is snow/ice. There are rocky up and downhill sections, fireroad, muddy flat and downhill bits and some single track and forest ground. Towards the end of the steep downhill bit in the forest, there is a steep drop so I would ask all runners to be cautious and considerate at this point in particular.
There are also plenty turns in the route some of which are unexpected, so please familiarise yourself with the route layout beforehand. There should be a few maps available at registration for you to remind yourself of the route.

Junior/short course:
I am delighted to confirm there will be a junior/short course option. This will follow the main course to the bottom of the bone shaker, go up the bone shaker, turn around and go back the same way. I would encourage parents/kids to recce the route if possible. Can all juniors please speak to me before the race to make sure they are aware of where the junior course splits from the main course. There will be a marshall at the split.

Parking:
Parking will be tight at lamb doyle's. Please make every effort to carpool. One of the spot prizes will be awarded as a carpool prize to the best carpool effort. Cycling is an environmentally alternative. bus routes 16, 44 and 114 all pass within walking distance.

Questions:
Please refer to the beginners section, registration information and previous forum posts. If there are questions left after referring to those, please do ask.
Paul V MitchellJan 27 2018, 8:52pmHi. Is the route identical to last year's?
Mike JordanJan 28 2018, 10:02amIt will be a very similar route to last year's race.
Roughly 7k with 350m climb.
Follow the tape, signs, and marshals on the day.
Trail running shoes are highly recommended. Those in road running shoes will end up questioning their decisions in life.

We still need a laptop operator for this race. If someone wants to sign up as shadow laptop operator, I'm sure someone can show you the ropes.
Thanks.
Stephen CollerJan 29 2018, 9:05pmHi maike I can do the laptop if you want. Never done it before but if there’s someone to show it to me I’ll be happy to give it a go.
Cheers
Stephen
Maike JürgensJan 30 2018, 8:06amStephen, thanks. Kevin has added himself as shadow laptop operator to learn the ropes on the day so 2 being trained is no harm. if you wanted to add yourself as shadow laptop operator also.
Maike JürgensJan 30 2018, 8:12amall, thanks to those who have volunteered, there are enough running volunteers now. however, a LAPTOP OPERATOR for the day would be great.

regarding transport can I please encourage everyone to CARPOOL (use the Marlay park or other nearby carparks to carpool), CYCLE (bring a lock) or use the BUS (bus 114 has a stop right in front of the pub and links to the luas green line, bus 44 stop is about 5 to 10 min walk away, bus 16 stop is a 10 to 15 min walk away).
Andrew HanneyJan 30 2018, 6:18pmJust signed up to help out, would like to take race photos too if that’s ok.
Maike JürgensJan 31 2018, 8:29amthanks for all the volunteers - I will be in touch with duties by Friday morning, please aim to be at the pub for 9.30 on Saturday unless specified otherwise.

unless you would like to volunteer for LAPTOP OPERATOR (should be able to run) or FIRST AID (non-running), please look at the upcoming races for volunteering opportunities.

Also, please keep in mind the car pooling.

Please note the route is quite technical but there is a junior/short course option of approx. 3 km with 200 m of ascent available.
Rob IdenJan 31 2018, 10:03amHi, if cycling to the event, is there anywhere safe to leave a bag?
Karl RichardsJan 31 2018, 10:11amAnother Newbie question. I have a race card and was hoping to run Ticknock on Saturday. Do I have to book online or just turn up on the day. With thanks Karl
Maike JürgensJan 31 2018, 10:39am@Rob: my car may go to the finish line but I am sure one of the other runners/volunteers is happy to have your bag in their car. if you cant find anyone, just speak to me at registration and we will sort you out.

@Karl: once you are registered with imra for 2018! and have bought the 10 race/50€ race voucher you are ok to turn up on the day. else you will have to sign up for 2018 and/or register online.
Enda McLaughlinFeb 1 2018, 1:23pmHi,
If anyone can provide a lift from Shankill i’d be very grateful! I’m keeping an eye on the carpool section but no joy yet... thanks!
Mike JordanFeb 1 2018, 2:31pm@Enda and anyone else on the DART line or near Blackrock - Dublin Bus Route 114 goes from Blackrock DART station to Lamb Doyles. You'd probably need to get the bus leaving at 9:10am. https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/1141/
Gavin CalleryFeb 1 2018, 7:25pmHi just wondering as a first timer am I good to go by paying €17 online, the tenner 2018 membership and the €7 race entry?
Andrew HanneyFeb 1 2018, 7:28pmThat’s it Gavin but make sure to do it before 6pm Friday which is the usual cut off time....
Graham ColmerFeb 1 2018, 8:41pmHi, anyone any info on the course conditions? , ie how muddy, slippery it is?! Seems it will be dry tomorrow but wet Saturday morning. Cheers
Maike JürgensFeb 1 2018, 9:22pmAs indicated in the course description,it is a technical course.especially the main descent and the way back to the finish are slippy and muddy.if in doubt,use your grippiest shoes.i would wear x-talons.
Filipe SousaFeb 2 2018, 10:52amHey, i have a voucher from 2015; is it valid or do i need to get a new one? Thanks.
Maike JürgensFeb 2 2018, 3:29pm@Filipe: I am not 100% sure, I know 2017 ones work, someone on the committee may be able to help? as long as you are registered for 2018, just show up tomorrow and if yours doesn't work, I am sure you can buy a stamp of someone else.

@all: unless you are registered for the year and have vouchers, please remember to sign up for the race by 18.00 tonight.
Registration tomorrow only if you have vouchers AND are registered for 2018.

juniors/short course runners, please come speak to me before the race. if you are unsure about long vs short, let me know.

please keep in mind that the race start is ~5 minute walk from the pub.

it is meant to rain tonight so it will be muddy on certain parts of the course.

the carpool prize is still up for grabs :)

hoping to see loads of you tomorrow for a great day out.
Liam CannonFeb 2 2018, 8:40pmIn need of a spin in the morning folks, if anyone would care to oblige. Based in Harmonstown on the northside. Anywhere at all along the DART line would be ideal!
Maike JürgensFeb 2 2018, 9:27pm@Liam:check bus route 114 from Blackrock Dart,bus route 75 from Dun Laoghaire dart or bus 44 and 16 from the city centre.
Michael OrourkeFeb 2 2018, 10:03pmHi . Totally forgot to register for race today due to work commitments. Could I come along and register on the morning please.
Mick O'CeallaighFeb 3 2018, 1:52pmGreat course, really enjoyed it. Cheers to the volunteers as well.
Alan MaherFeb 3 2018, 3:03pmAnother well organized IMRA race today...perfect conditions. Thanks to all involved.
Caitlin BentFeb 3 2018, 3:23pmMany thanks to all the Team today, especially Maike!
James H CahillFeb 3 2018, 3:38pmThank you Maike and all your volunteers. Very well organised and ran smoothly from start to finish.Great route and every time I cleared the mud and tears from my eyes there was tape to see. Excellent route plan and marking thank you Mike.
James H CahillFeb 3 2018, 3:38pmThank you Maike and all your volunteers. Very well organised and ran smoothly from start to finish.Great route and every time I cleared the mud and tears from my eyes there was tape to see. Excellent route plan and marking thank you Mike.
Mark RaleighFeb 3 2018, 8:37pmKudos to all the volunteers, many thanks for a very well marked and organised race. Enjoying the Barefoot wine that Maike picked out that I won in the raffle while watching Ireland's got talent. Till next time
Maike JürgensFeb 3 2018, 8:44pmThanks a million to all the volunteers today who gave their time freely so we could all have a great day out. As one of them said, volunteering gives you a whole new perspective on racing so it is definitely worth a try :).

i hope all runners enjoyed the course, apologies for the laptop problems, please don't expect results before Monday-ish.
Laurence BriodyFeb 3 2018, 9:41pmWell done today Maike and crew. Super race very well marked.
Paul V MitchellFeb 3 2018, 10:29pmPity about the results. I think today's course was the best marked I've ever ran. Thanks.
Peter O'FarrellFeb 3 2018, 10:44pmSuper event, thanks Maike, Mike and all the volunteers for providing the fun on the hills today.
Peter O'FarrellFeb 3 2018, 10:44pmSuper event, thanks Maike, Mike and all the volunteers for providing the fun on the hills today.
Niall McGuinnessFeb 4 2018, 9:02pmThanks so much Maike and volunteers. So well organised and so much fun. Made my weekend!
Karen DevenneyFeb 5 2018, 9:59pmWell done to Maike & her volunteers for another excellent event. Special mention to the laptop team incl newbies Stephen & Kevin who coped very well with an uncooperative laptop to get results together. Results are now up, I think a couple of people may have been missed when a flurry of runners came in together so any issues, send me an email at Karen.devenney at imra dot ie

Next up is Mullaghmeen next weekend with Laurence & the gang from St Brigid's at the helm....I'm reliably informed that the course is good & mucky! Trooperstown is in 2 weeks and volunteers are still needed
Brenda MalleyFeb 6 2018, 12:16amThanks Karen, just want to make sure that Mary Collins is credited with winning the F60 race, as I was mistakenly awarded the prize. I’ll pass it on to Mary at the next race.
Mary CollinsFeb 6 2018, 1:01pmThanks Maike and volunteers for all the works and effort organising the race.
Brenda, do not worry about 'prize' re F60. If you were there when given out you deserve it, so keep it. Also did not even realise I was in that category last w/e but then remembered IMRA place runners in age group category that they become during calendar year:( Oh dear. I am still very young at 59!!:)
Mary ( Collins)