Irish Mountain
Running Association

Bray Head - End of League BBQ

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnJun 27 2017, 9:40pmThanks to all who have volunteered for Bray race. I have enough volunteers no but if anyone has to pull out please let me know by posting here and I'll look for a replacement.

Also, I would like to finish the league and need to run Bray to do so. If anyone would like to take my place as race director let me know. I'll collect all the gear and be there early to help set up etc and deal with the BBQ which take place that night.
If interested post here and I'll make contact.
Daniel BarryJun 29 2017, 2:23pmHi Laura.

I have put myself down as race marker for Bray Head but now I'm unsure if I will be able to make the race so I'll have to bow out. My apologies.
Laura FlynnJun 29 2017, 4:15pmThanks for letting me know Daniel. Any other takers? It's not the most difficult to mark but you need to be familiar with course or prepared to recce.
Andy MorrowJun 29 2017, 4:41pmHi Laura, I put myself down for volunteering but I need to run this to complete the 7 races this year. Hope that's ok. Andy
Caoimhin MacMaolainJun 29 2017, 4:44pmHi Laura. Just in case you are not aware of it, there is now a barrier just after the summit heading south off Bray Head. This is to keep cattle in rather than people out, and it is easily vaulted. Also, there are cows now grazing on Bray Head as you run towards the trig point, which may have to be mooved on the evening as they have a tendency to block the path.
Laura FlynnJun 29 2017, 5:47pmI wasn't aware of either of those issues Caoimhin so thanks for alerting me.
I will recce the course myself next week after the Ballinastoe race but yo be honest, I'm sure sure what we can do about the cattle or who owns the land. It must be some sort of commonage but if anyone reading this knows maybe they could enlighten us.

Also, my previous post re race marking suggests the marker familiar with the course doesn't have to recce. That's not the case. A recce should be done so we are aware of any issues such as the ones you've kindly pointed out.

I'm making it sound scary now...please don't be put off!
Brendan LawlorJun 29 2017, 5:52pmI just hope no one else try's to milk the news about the cows for cheap laughs or easy puns...
Laura FlynnJun 29 2017, 5:56pmThe main thing is to get the mooved Brendan as Caoimhin has already said
Laura FlynnJun 29 2017, 6:04pmAndy, just to let you know you can volunteer as a running volunteer and I'll make sure you get to the start on time. Let me know if that suits you and if not there's no problem.
Andrew HanneyJun 29 2017, 7:21pmI can confirm that Caoimhin's comment is not bull...the offending barrier doesn't have much room on either side. I'll be doing a recce for my club mates next Friday 6th after work if anyone wants to join.
Jeff SwordsJun 29 2017, 7:27pmA couple of years ago there was a bunch (I believe that's the correct technical term for a collective) of horses up there. It was equally amusing and scary when they started to run amongst a group of runners, who had to be shouted at to watch behind them.

I look forward to seeing what amusement a murder of cows bring.
Paul O'GradyJun 29 2017, 8:00pmAny details on the BBQ? What's the plan?
Laura FlynnJun 29 2017, 8:16pmThe BBQ will be at the Martello Paul - same venue as registration. I'm currently finalising things with them re cost and menu and will be posting up next week as I may need numbers for vegetarians. They are setting aside the large outdoor terrace for us so it should be a great night celebrating the end of the Leinster League.
Paul O'GradyJun 29 2017, 8:21pmSounds great Laura. Better get the Dart so!!
Connie DottinoJul 3 2017, 5:38pmHi, Laura. I volunteered for the role of race marker a few days ago but my role still appears as 'not accepted'. I ran the course a few times but never marked any. As there were enough helpers I thought I'd give it a go but would happily let someone with experience do it if anyone else has offered. All I need to confirm is whether you need me on Wednesday or not as I'd be travelling just to volunteer. I'm saving myself for Nephin.
Laura FlynnJul 3 2017, 7:31pmThat's great news Connie. I've accepted you. Karen is stepping into rd role now as I need to run the race to finish league.
I'm sure you read the earlier post re the cows and the barrel so letvmuself or Karen know if you have any concerns.
If you'd like to do a recce with me let me know. Number is 0877420795
Connie DottinoJul 3 2017, 10:08pmI did read all the previous messages. I'd like to do a recce if possible. I'll be in Bray early on Wednesday. I might be able to go tomorrow but not sure yet as I'm a bit far away.
Caoimhin MacMaolainJul 4 2017, 12:20pmHi Connie/Laura, I can recce the route with you Connie on Wednesday morning if this suits you and doesn't suit Laura.
Jeff FitzsimonsJul 4 2017, 11:05pmA reminder that this race will also serve as a qualifier for the British and Irish Championships in September.
Angela FlynnJul 5 2017, 8:32amRe: cattle on Bray Head. They belong to David Brabason and are being kept in the fields above the golf club according to his herd manager. So we should be safe enough and yes there is a bull with them!
Sandra PegmanJul 5 2017, 4:56pmHi Guys. I am just checking if you need any more helpers for race. I haven't volunteered yet and I am available for Bray if needed.
Laura FlynnJul 5 2017, 9:03pmThe end of League BBQ will take place after next Wednesday's race at the Martello Hotel Bray who are allocating us most of their outdoor area.

The BBQ will be subsided by IMRA so the charge to you will be a very reasonable €5 per head.

They will cater for vegetarians but need numbers by this Saturday.
I'd appreciate it therefore if anyone who would like a vegetarian option would mail me directly at my IMRA email by noon this Saturday.

Hopefully the weather will be kind but, case it's not and we all get covered in muck and stuff please don't wear dirty shoes and gear into the hotel.
There's a prefect opportunity in Bray to clean up with a dip in the sea.

Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there to celebrate the end of another great Leinster League.
Karen DevenneyJul 6 2017, 9:43pmThanks to all who have signed up as volunteers, I have enough people now. There are still plenty of races coming up though like the Handicap, trail league & Leinster/Irish champs that will still need volunteers so don't be shy!

If any of the volunteers have a preference for marshalling, please let me know otherwise I'll assign roles randomly. I'll be in touch over the next few days
Jeff FitzsimonsJul 6 2017, 10:56pmTo clarify the age categories that will be selected for the British & Irish Championships are as follows.

U20 men and women (age at 31 December 2017 – this includes athletes born in 1998, 1999 and 2000)

U17 boys and girls (age at 31 December 2017 – this includes athletes born in 2001 and 2002).

The championships will be held in Peebles, Scotland on September 16th.
Connie DottinoJul 7 2017, 12:21amHi Caoimhin, is that next Wednesday morning you mean? If so, let me know what time suits you. I'll accept the offer.
Connie DottinoJul 7 2017, 12:22amHi Caoimhin, is that next Wednesday morning you mean? If so, let me know what time suits you. I'll accept the offer.
Caoimhin MacMaolainJul 7 2017, 7:59amHi Connie. Sorry, I meant last Wednesday. I am afraid I not available next Wednesday.
Karen DevenneyJul 11 2017, 12:15amInstructions for Wed:

Race sign in/registration will be open from 6pm on Wed at the Martello. Could volunteers please aim to be there at 6pm or just before. If any volunteers have to pull out or will arrive later, can you please let me know via my imra email.

To allow time to get everyone & laptop to the race start, registration will close at 7.10 sharp so you need to be in the queue for 7pm if you want to run. Race payment is by the usual methods - pay with voucher on the night or pay by pre-registering online before 6pm tomorrow (Tues). All runners must sign in on the night regardless.

Forecast for Wed looks decent but remember jackets are still mandatory. Traffic /parking in Bray generally busy / scarce so please carpool where at all possible.

End of League bbq is in the Martello after the race - ticket costs €5 on the night, cash will be accepted on this occasion for food only.

See you all on Wednesday!

Race sign in/registration will be open from 6pm on Wed at the Martello. Could volunteers please aim to be there at 6pm or just before. If any volunteers have to pull out or will arrive later, can you please let me know via my imra email.

To allow time to get everyone & laptop to the race start, registration will close at 7.10 sharp so you need to be in the queue for 7pm if you want to run. Race payment is by the usual methods - pay with voucher on the night or pay by pre-registering online before 6pm tomorrow (Tues). All runners must sign in on the night regardless.

Forecast for Wed looks decent but remember jackets are still mandatory. Traffic /parking in Bray generally busy / scarce so please carpool where at all possible.

End of League bbq is in the Martello after the race - ticket costs €5 on the night, cash will be accepted on this occasion for food only.

Mike JordanJul 11 2017, 10:31amEnd of league...really...already?!
And it feels a bit odd to have it at Bray Head instead of the Sugarloaf too!
Looking at the league table it looks like very similar situations for the overall Mens and Ladies league winners.
Pat Foley heads the table with 7 races run but if Michael McCarthy runs tomorrow and races well he should have enough good results to win the league.
Similarly, Elizabeth Wheeler leads the ladies comp but Sonya McCannon will no doubt be looking for another strong performance to take the overall prize.
Don't have the time to go through the other categories though I'm pretty sure Patsy has M70 tied up :)
Great to see that so much is left to be decided on the last race - best of luck all.
https://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/268/category/O/
Laura FlynnJul 11 2017, 8:02pmHi Connie, I have the race gear including the marking gear. What time do you plan to start marking as I will need to get it to you. I hope to collect Karen and get to Martello for 5 to 5.30pm. If you need earlier I willl arrange to get it to you. You can text or call me on 087 7420795
Thomas DunneJul 11 2017, 9:08pmWell guys. I have registered with IMRA for the year. I missed out this evening on the online registration for tomorrow nights race. Is it to late to get into the race?
Karen DevenneyJul 11 2017, 9:24pmThomas, if you come along tomorrow I'm sure someone will let you buy a race voucher from them. It happens all the time
Thomas DunneJul 11 2017, 9:36pmThanks Karen will do
Siobhain DugganJul 11 2017, 10:04pmKaren really sorry to ask this so late in the day but i am not registered with IMRA this year and cant find the link to do so now...is there a way to still register? i thought this could be done at any stage pre-race online... thanks!
Vanessa McShaneJul 11 2017, 10:17pmHi I am having same problem, I am already registered but wanted to register a junior with IMRA, I thought you'd be still able to do this with the trail league still to do? Ive also mislaid my vouchers so logged on to register for this event and to my dismay its closed...really really would like to do this tomorrow eve as haven't been able to make many due to work, anyway can the junior still run?? and anyone a spare voucher ??
Laura FlynnJul 11 2017, 10:27pmSiobhan and Vanessa, unfortunately the online registration closes down at 6pm the evening before the race. If you have registered for the year but not for the race you can enter with a voucher. I have some to spare and should be there early if you want to seek me out.
Vanessa McShaneJul 11 2017, 10:28pmThanks Karen
Vanessa McShaneJul 11 2017, 10:30pmThanks Karen Ive had the offer of race vouchers so all good there, I know its prob not in your remit but would you know why we cant buy membership for year, with trail league still to go ahead I didnt think that would close this early? or would anyone know?
Mikey FryJul 11 2017, 10:35pmWill open again Thursday morning after race me thinks...
Siobhain DugganJul 11 2017, 10:53pmThanks!!!
Connie DottinoJul 11 2017, 11:49pmHi Laura/Karen. I did a recce of the course this evening for peace of mind. No cattle around. I am ready for tomorrow. I will be there before 5pm tomorrow. That should be plenty of time. So see you then.
Laura FlynnJul 12 2017, 8:01amThat's great Connie . I'll see you at the Martello at 5. You might need to bring a rucksack to carry tape. You have my number if any problem.
Christopher WallaceJul 12 2017, 10:46amHi Karen, I have just sustained an injury that puts me out of the race, however would love to volunteer if it's not too late. I understand if there are no remaining jobs to be filled. However I'm a keen photo enthusiast so would be happy to document the event instead if needed.
Hope I can help,
Chris
Andy MorrowJul 12 2017, 11:10amJust wondering if there is a space to leave bags as a few of us will be coming by public transport so we can all stay for the BBQ.
Maybe a space in the hotel as we're having the BBQ there later?
Mark ByrneJul 12 2017, 1:17pmHi Karen,
Should all volunteers meet up at the car park or the Martello? Thanks Mark
Niall LynchJul 12 2017, 1:58pmHi Folks,

can anyone tell me what is the junior course for the race tonight? Just need to give some pre-race instructions to a nervous young runner.

All the best,

Niall.
Brendan LawlorJul 12 2017, 2:14pmNiall, Junior Course is usually up to the cross and back- Karen will confirm tonight, but thats the usual
Laura FlynnJul 12 2017, 2:15pmMark,volunteers to meet at Martello at 6.
Niall, Junior course is usually to the cross and back, subject to confirmation by Karen who is RD tonight.
Mark ByrneJul 12 2017, 2:42pmThanks Laura
Rob ClearyJul 12 2017, 2:43pmI missed registration - does anyone have a voucher I can buy off them?
If not, can I race with a voucher reference from a voucher bought last year?
Tim ManganJul 12 2017, 3:27pmYeah I can sort you out Rob.
Christopher WallaceJul 12 2017, 4:09pmHi Karen/Laura. Hoping to get an answer to my question so I can plan to arrive early if necessary.
Much appreciated,
Chris
Laura FlynnJul 12 2017, 4:20pmGreat if you could come and take photos kevin.
Gordon PlaceJul 12 2017, 4:20pmHi Chris,
I think I saw early in the thread that there was enough volunteers but I don't think photographer is usually on the list. If you can make it up to take a few I'm sure everyone would be happy to see them
Christopher WallaceJul 12 2017, 4:35pmGreat thanks, I'll do that so. See you there.
All the best,
Chris
Rob ClearyJul 12 2017, 6:01pmThanks Tim. I'll be at the Martello for just before 7 so hopefully see you there about then.
Alan AylingJul 12 2017, 11:51pmReport - of sorts - up.
Brendan LawlorJul 13 2017, 8:46amThanks to Karen and all her volunteers for a great end of league race up Bray Head - the dip in the sea at the end was very welcome

And to Laura and the Martello Hotel (and others I'm sure) for organising the BBQ afterwards

And last but never least to the wonderful Pol and his very hard working committee for the end of league race prize - El Pres Pol 'Mugs' 'Ice Cream' 'Crazy Cat' 'Bags' O Murchu - man of many talents and even more nicknames !!

See you all next Wednesday
John CondonJul 13 2017, 9:31amMany thanks to Karen, Laura and the rest of the team for last night. It was a great race to finish the league with.

Thanks to Pòl and committee for organising the end of league prizes too.
Only slightly disappointed that it wasn't a mug ;)
Siobhain DugganJul 13 2017, 10:24amWell done to Karen, Pol, Laura, Martello Hotel and all involved in organising race and BBQ last night! Super event!!
Barry MurrayJul 13 2017, 12:33pmBig evening.... big report up !
Barry MurrayJul 13 2017, 12:33pmBig evening.... big report up !
Laura FlynnJul 13 2017, 4:53pmAt the end of another thoroughly enjoyable Leinster League I'd like to say a huge thank-you to all of you who made it happen:-

The runners, for taking part and for the spirit of friendship and sportmansship in which you did so.

The race directors, for putting themselves out there and taking on what is undoubtedly a daunting role. Every single one of us did so with aplomb and deserve both our gratitude and our respect. Thanks especially, on a personal note, to Karen for stepping in as Director for last night to allow me run...and to Brendan Lawlor and Tanya Sheridan who also quietly and generously offered.

To the volunteers of which there are many but amongst the many there are a truly exceptional few who have beavered away quietly and unassumingly and no matter what was asked of them, it was never a problem. I'm not going to name them but you probably know who they are as they've been at most of the races. One in particular suffering an injury early in the season and has still come along to almost every race to help.

Well done to you all and best of luck for the rest of your racing year.
James H CahillJul 13 2017, 8:36pmAlan Aylings brief race report has encouraged an even briefer one:

League end,
Sad day,
Bray Head,
Field Away.

Tough run,
Sea Dip,
Food Yum,
Hat tip!
Laura FlynnJul 13 2017, 9:35pmGreat race reports guys...will definitely look to turn the music down next year ..and maybe a bit less mayonnaise on the salads.
Peter GormanJul 13 2017, 10:02pmMost of the pictures are up now. Apologies for the low resolution and if i missed anyone.
Michael McCarthy81Jul 13 2017, 11:27pmGreat race, thanks for organising!!
some classic reports this week too!
there was mayo?? ;)
Karen DevenneyJul 15 2017, 11:05amThanks to all who came out for the last race of the Leinster League, especially all the volunteers. Special thanks to Connie for marking the course (her first time), Lindsey for ensuring everyone got fed, Laura for doing so much of my job for me and Miriam for ensuring we had race results for the prize giving despite the 'technical issues'!

Results are now up. The later results are as accurate as we could get them given the circumstances and I know that at least a few are missing. So please email me at Karen.devenney at imra dot ie with any queries or issues.

Don't forget we still have the Handicap and Trail League coming up so see you all soon
Sonya McConnonJul 15 2017, 2:20pmHi Karen.thanks again for a great end of league race.i sent an email to you but don't know if you got it about fixing the ballinstoe results.two early female starters in the results which is affecting the final league scores also.thanks!