Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Glacier Lakes (solo)

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gavan DuffyFeb 27 2017, 9:16pmHi does anyone have a strava map or similar for this route. Im thinking of doing this event, although I'll probably run/hike/crawl it. I want to explore the different legs before the race. Thanks
Maike JürgensMar 14 2017, 6:10pmthis is last year's strava flyby
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#541975002?c=gc7mmj3d&z=C&t=1N2B0Y&a=2uFNIPr0NSBKHjUg3hY4IKiqNiAL8jQgTtI0IBzSNSADEDYgRZQ1IDqiSSCPhzMn6hJVIO8ytyDBdDUg (you might have to copy paste ... sorry)
Maike JürgensMar 14 2017, 6:10pmthis is last year's strava flyby
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#541975002?c=gc7mmj3d&z=C&t=1N2B0Y&a=2uFNIPr0NSBKHjUg3hY4IKiqNiAL8jQgTtI0IBzSNSADEDYgRZQ1IDqiSSCPhzMn6hJVIO8ytyDBdDUg (you might have to copy paste ... sorry)
Tim HarrisMar 15 2017, 7:52pmHi, is there any word on when entries will be open? Looking forward to the race!
Liam VinesMar 28 2017, 7:50pmHi. I just posted in the relay forum if everyone keeps an eye on that for any info..
Nicolas MejriMar 29 2017, 11:17amHello,
Will solo race maintained? Or will there be only the relay?
thanks,
Nicolas
James H CahillMar 29 2017, 2:03pmHi Nicolas, there will be both relay and solo. The entry form is being updated and should be available later today. It will need to be filled out and returned by email by Wednesday the 5th of April.
Nicolas MejriMar 29 2017, 3:17pmGreat, thanks James
James H CahillMar 30 2017, 8:48amThe entry form for this race is now live on the race details page for the Wicklow Glacier Lakes (Relay). For both solo and relay, please download, complete and return by email to the email address on the form by Wednesday 5th April. Once you have submitted your entry form please pay for your entry using the online system (solo €15, individual leg runners €7)
James H CahillApr 1 2017, 5:42pmSo far there are a small number of solo entries (11) and we have received no team entries (although we have 3 team members entered online?).

Please download the race entry form for the 2017 race ( http://media.imra.ie/ad-hoc/wgl_entry_2017.doc )and submit it to the email address at the bottom to compete in this race. If you have already downloaded and submited the 2016 entry - it has gone to the wrong email address and it has not been received. Please resend your email with the completed 2016 form to the email address on the end of 2017 form.

You can see the current entry list (solo & team) on the Wicklow Glacier Lakes Relay Details Page. If you are not on it, we have not received your entry and dont know about you.

Race entries will close on Wednesday the 5th of April.

We do need some more volunteers. Specifically we are short a first aider. Without a first aider the race cannot go ahead.
If someone was available to act as first aider during the morning, we will have a first aider available for the afternoon.

This is one of the best races of the year and a great relay event for teams. There is still time to get your team together.
James H CahillApr 5 2017, 10:58amLast call for entries for the Glacier Lakes Relay and Solo! Entries close tonight. 4 teams so far for the relay and almost 30 runners for the Solo. The Solo includes very experienced masters Male and Female UK based runners who will have 2 hours and 1 hour 40mins head start on the scratch runners respectively. It will be an intriguing battle.....will fast young legs beat race management and experience. Still looking for some volunteers. Even if you are able to help for a few hours morning or afternoon it will be a great help.
Robert CarneyApr 5 2017, 9:27pmHi,I wanted to take the early start but the list has me down for 9.30? I presume I can take the early start??
James H CahillApr 5 2017, 9:37pmRobert, list updated and you are in for the early start.
Alan AylingApr 6 2017, 3:07pmDear Nice Mr Race Director,

Bit of confusion here. To enter this race as a solo, is it just a case of pay online (I did that bit) or does a form have to be filled (I didn't do that bit)? The solo page didn't have any link to a form... I just noticed the form on the relay page now.

I know the entry deadline passed, but can I still run?

Thanks!
Loren HarnettApr 6 2017, 7:38pmLads, I have sent a few e-mails requesting that my entry reflect that I would like an early start (which is on my entry form). I would be grateful if you could update? Many thanks, and looking forward to it.
James H CahillApr 6 2017, 7:55pm@Loren Harnett - Loren emails not received, perhaps went to previous (2016 entry form) email address. But no problem, your entry updated accordingly and moved to an 8.30am start.
@Alan Ayling - Alan, no problem, glitch in the entry system. Your place is confirmed and have sent you an email, can you check and reply.
Gerry BradyApr 7 2017, 12:26amJames
I haven't received any emails for the relay from anyone. I don't know if that old imra.ie address is working - perhaps check with the Committee. Good luck with the relay. I hope the M70 and W65 win.
Gerry
James H CahillApr 7 2017, 12:36pmThe start list for the Wicklow Glacier Lakes is available here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oS72-7SdzS3tQrF7e4hRN6GSfg34d4hHaHR2ErwyXEk/edit?usp=sharing

If there are any mistakes / anything needs updating please let us know.

If you start earlier than your start time you will be running uncompetitively i.e. you cannot win a prize, irrespective of your gazelle like speed over the mountains.

If you start later than your start time, you'll be competitive but you'll be running harder to catch up!

General Registration will open at 7:45am.

Please ensure that you register in good time for your start time and that you are at the start line 5 minutes in advance of your starting time.

The forecast is breezy, warm with occasional showers.

Irrespective of the forecast, please note the compulsory kit requirements for all runners:

"A mobile phone, hat, rain jacket, map, and compass are compulsory kit. Bring food and water according to your needs for a run of around 10 km in tough mountain terrain. Solo runners must bring sufficient food and clothing protection for the whole race."

The compulsory kit is for your own safety and runners may be be kit checked at any point of the race. Running without the cumpulsory kit puts you at risk and is unfair on volunteers, fellow runners and rescue services and will result in disqualification.

Each lake (Ouler, Firrib, Three Lakes (either of them), Art's, Kelly's, Upper Glendalough and Lower Glendalough) must be touched - use your hand, your foot, your head or even your whole body if you wish. But the waters must be contacted (not glanced at from afar as you focus on the runner in front).

The Start and Finish and each changeover point must be visited (Wicklow Gap, Glenmalure Hostel, Ballinafunshogue car park). Please call out your team number (as per the start list) to the marshal as you arrive (and also thank them for giving up their day so that you can enjoy yourself in the hills!)

Looking forward to a great days racing on Sunday!
Nicolas MejriApr 9 2017, 7:26pmHi guys,

Thanks for the race, it was nice and muddy :)
I took a few picture along the way, here they are:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!An_QnSVTdFJaiT7UwmDs2T_5RlPC

Nicolas
James H CahillApr 10 2017, 1:24amThe results of the handicap race and individual legs times are on the details page of the Wicklow Glacier Lakes Relay Race and also in the race report section. The results of the solo race have been sent for publication and will be on the website over the next few days.
James H CahillApr 12 2017, 10:52amThe solo results of the Wicklow Glacier lakes will be published on the website in due course. Meanwhile you can download the results here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8uD8kzfpXFkTTd6bXoxWmFkWGs/view?usp=sharing
Karen DevenneyApr 17 2017, 11:45pmApologies for the delay folks, it's been a particularly busy week but results are now up. Well done all!