Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carlingford - Fox's Rock

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnJul 4 2016, 11:26amDaniela Boehm has kindly offered to do race director for this race. She needs volunteers to start signing up so please have a look and see if you can help. It is possible to volunteer and run the race for a few of the roles so get in early if you want this option.
Daniela BoehmJul 4 2016, 11:29pmHi folks,

Carlingford Fox's Rock is on Sat June 16th - don't miss it! For some unknown reason (besides its clashing with Snowdon) this race never seems to draw a large crowd... :(
Well, let me tell you...
It's a fabulous race, starting in quaint little Carlingford village (don't worry, few hen and stag parties are awake at this time of day) with a spectacular view across Carlingford Lough to the Mournes (weather permitting) and the new route to Fox's Rock is class! It's only 1h 15 from Dublin and you can easily spend that amount of time getting to a remote location in Wicklow.
Throw in spot prizes galore and a few post-race treats - what more could you ask for?

I hope that's enough advertisement!!! ;)
Oh, and we could do with a couple of volunteers, most importantly a first aider.

Thanks a mill,
Daniela
Daniela BoehmJul 11 2016, 11:10pmJust as a reminder: Carlingford Fox's Rock this Saturday!!! Early start (11am) and short course (Slieve Foye only) options will be available but you need to be able to navigate for this race. If the mist is down there is no chance of 'following another runner' as the field disperses very quickly.
Thanks to the volunteers who have come forward to date. We do require a first aider in order for this race to go ahead, though, and a summit marshal for Fox's Rock would desirable!
Beautiful route and beautiful location - so I hope to see you in Carlingford!
Thanks!
Dale MathersJul 12 2016, 8:38pmHi Daniela, is it still possible to register for this race through the Purchase IMRA products. I was logged on last night and the race was available but when I logged in today (to enter) there are no races available to select - I will also require IMRA membership too.
Can you advise me please

Dale
Brian O MurchuJul 12 2016, 9:17pmHi Dale,
Annual membership is unavailable due to tomorrow's race. Check back on Thursday when it'll be reopened
Daniela BoehmJul 14 2016, 2:33pmHi Dale,
and anyone looking to pre-register for Carlingford. Online entry and annual membership are now available again but please note that they will close tomorrow afternoon. It is essential that anyone planning to run has bought their membership and been assigned a race number.

Thanks, Daniela
Patrick FoleyJul 14 2016, 5:02pmIf anyone is driving from Dublin up&down in the day and has room then I would really appreciate a spin and would sort you out petrol-money-wise. I could meet anywhere that suits. The weather forecast looks good at the moment - after last weekend's runs we need a break! Thanks, Paddy
Daniela BoehmJul 14 2016, 10:50pmHi everyone,

just a reminder that registration for Carlingford will close tomorrow afternoon. If you wish to run you need to have paid your annual membership and either pre-register for the race online or pay by voucher on the day! Remember to bring your race numbers.

All competitors are required to carry a longsleeve rainproof jacket!
Further kit requirements are a map of the route (can be downloaded from the events page), a compass (including the knowledge how to use it) and a mobile phone. The IMRA emergency number is on the back of your race number.

The race starts at 12 with an early start at 11am on Sat July 16th.
Mandatory points on this route are Slieve Foye - Fox's Rock - Slieve Foye. You have free route choice except for the section of road/laneway up to the gate that brings you onto/off the open mountain. This part is mandatory!
Padraig Muldoon has kindly offered to mark this section. Thanks, Padraig.

There will be short course option going to Slieve Foye only and anyone who decides to turn back before reaching Fox's Rock will be given a short course time.
This race is not suitable for juniors or beginners as navigation over open mountain and rough terrain are required.

The race starts beside the church on the Dundalk Rd in Carlingford. Please park along the road and not in the church car park.

Thanks to Mike Jordan and Kieran Rocks for stepping up as 1st aider and summit marshal and all the other volunteers.

I hope to see many of you on Sat for this great race and let's hope the weather gods will look favourably upon Carlingford :)

Daniela
Daniela BoehmJul 15 2016, 8:35amHi Paddy, if you don't find a better lift, you are more than welcome to come with us. Only drawback is that it will be an early start (9ish) from Dublin (aiming to be in Carlingford at 10.30).
Daniela
Gordon WilsonJul 15 2016, 2:08pmHi Paddy, I can give you a lift up and down to this race from Dublin. If you text or call me on o 8 six 8 2 9 8 seven 4 0 we can arrange time and place.
Dale MathersJul 15 2016, 4:25pmHi Daniela, Was waiting for the registration for this race to appear in the IMRA products this afternoon but it has not appeared. I suppose it is too late now to enter the race. I also need the annual membership.
Thanks
Dale
Daniela BoehmJul 15 2016, 4:31pmHi Dale, no it's still there if you log into your MyIMRA you should find it under 'purchase IMRA products'. It shows up for me anyways...
Daniela
Dale MathersJul 15 2016, 4:48pmDaneila, I only have the IMRA handbook available to purchase nothing else. There was a list available to me prior to the Sugarloaf race on wednesday but nothing since then.
Daniela BoehmJul 15 2016, 4:52pmThat's strange... all the races show up for me.
Does anybody from the committee happen to have a solution?

Sorry, Dale, I have no access to that side of the system, so there is nothing I can do about it myself. It sounds a bit like some others have had similar issues.
Mick HanneyJul 15 2016, 5:16pmrace is available to me too.
Event Entry for Carlingford - Fox's Rock (16 July, 2016)
Brian O MurchuJul 15 2016, 5:20pmHi Dale,
Try again now. Once annual membership is purchased, the race options should appear
Dale MathersJul 15 2016, 5:30pmThanks Brian - sorted all entered now. See you all tomorrow. Dale
Bryan MageeJul 15 2016, 6:16pmSorry, I appear to be having the same problem as Dale, in that I can't see tomorrow's race under products to purchase.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Mick HanneyJul 15 2016, 6:49pmOnline purchase closes down the evening before the race, so you are out of luck, unless you have an annual registration already and can bargain with someone for one of their race vouchers.
Bryan MageeJul 15 2016, 7:00pmThanks for your reply Mick. This was to be my first IMRA race, so I've had no prior experience of using the online system until now I'm afraid. No way round this for someone in my predicament? Keen to run.
Paul McAnespieJul 15 2016, 7:52pmHi, this is the second day I have tried to register. In fact I have purchased a book as it was the only thing available and I don't need it but I thought I might be able to get past it.
Paul
Bryan MageeJul 15 2016, 8:06pmFrustrated also Paul. I tried to enter earlier this afternoon and the race wasn't visible. When I read Dale's post I thought this problem could be fixed, but it looks like it is now too late?
Given the online problems being faced, is there any way to register tomorrow please? Thanks.
Gordon PlaceJul 15 2016, 9:32pmHi Brian, Paul,
If you have your annual membership and have an email with your race number, and just haven't managed to register for this particular race, you can both use one of my vouchers, €5.
If you have not got your annual membership and race number yet, I'm afraid can't help.
I'm number 1065.
Gordon
Bryan MageeJul 15 2016, 9:56pmMany thanks Gordon, that's very kind of you. I haven't been able to pay for annual membership, however, so it looks like I'm stuck.
Paul McAnespieJul 15 2016, 10:01pmThanks Gordon for your reply and your offer unfortunately I cannot even pay for the annual membership. I cannot find the registration guidelines and in the "purchase imra products" section the only thing available to purchase was the yearbook which I bought and don't want. There has been nothing else available to purchase since I've been trying this week.
I was planning on running a few races but problems with this online registration is frustrating and off putting.
Thand again for your help,
Paul
Daniela BoehmJul 15 2016, 10:34pmDear Bryan and Paul,
I'm very sorry that you've been encountering problems with the online registration.
I'm afraid there is no way to register at the race: we are no longer able to manually register a runner on the day and issue a number and can not take cash at the races. Without the annual registration and payment of the registration fee, a runner can not officially participate in an IMRA race for insurance reasons.
Online registration has to close at 6pm on the day before every race, so if you happened to have tried on Wed night after 6 or tonight, no races would have been available for purchase. I'm afraid I have no explanation if this was the case at another time.
I understand that the situation is frustrating but I'm afraid there is nothing I can do as I have no access to the online system.
Overall the online registration and cashless system has worked very well and lightened the work load on volunteers considerably. As with anything new, there can always be teething problems...
If you don't want the yearbook, Paul, I can talk to our treasurer Fiona about issueing you with a refund.
Thanks,
Daniela
Bryan MageeJul 16 2016, 7:43amThanks Daniela, although I see that upcoming races (e.g. Murroe, Paps) provide a form which can be pre-printed and exchanged for a number on the day as an option? Race vouchers then seem available to buy from other helpful runners.
Mick HanneyJul 16 2016, 8:07pmThanks Daniel and Mike and helpers, particularly the Foxes Rock marshall with the yummy jellies.
The sandwiches and cake at the end was a treat.
The sun shone and the numbers of race participants were up which was great. The free choice element of the route made for interesting running up, out and back. More of that please in races :-)
A tough route, no doubt, with lots of watery boggy ground.
Great fun though.
James - hope you have a fast recovery from your twisted ankle.
Daniela BoehmJul 16 2016, 8:22pmThanks everyone who made the journey to Carlingford today. We almost doubled our race numbers from last year to 32 and it was great to see such a turn-out of NIMRA runners as well (apologies again to those of you who got caught out by registration difficulties - this will hopefully not be a problem next year!).
I think we couldn't have asked for more lenient weather gods :), though the runners might have appreciated a bit less of that sun out there and the spot prize chocolates were starting to be under real threat.

A huge thank you to Mike Jordan for doing first aid (and therefore enabling the race to go ahead) and manual results and Kieran Rocks (who hasn't even run with IMRA this year!) as summit marshall on Fox's Rock! A very special thank you to Margaret Muldoon for making all those delicious sandwiches, which were a delight! :) And thanks to Padraig Muldoon for marking the initial road section and to my other helpers Brendan Delaney, Patsy McCreanor and James Cahill - all of you made this a very easy, enjoyable day out.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)
Daniela

Winners were as folows:
M:
1. Ruari Short
2. Pete Grant
3. Dale Mathers (Pete and Dale finished together)

F:
1. Moire O'Sullivan
2. Regina Kelly
3. Ruth Jackson

F40: Deirdre O'Riordan

M40: Mick Hanney
M50: Padraig Muldoon
M60: Joe Lalor
M70: Patsy McCreanor

Kieran Rocks recorded runners reaching the turn-around point at Fox's Rock in the following order:
?
Kieran RocksJul 16 2016, 8:39pmThese were the placings to the turnaround point at Foxes Rock. However the list includes early starters in the order they arrived. Apologies that arrival times are just to the nearest minute.

1 317 12.52
2 1590 .53
3 1602 .53
4 187 .55
5 462 .56
6 14 .57
7 949 .57
8 ???? .57
9 216 .57
10 157 13.00
11 1408 .00
12 297 .03
13 1065 .05
14 75 .06
15 754 .09
16 600 .10
17 387 .10
18 1556 .11
19 161 .11
20 303 .12
21 705 .12
22 291 .12
23 2147 .12
24 209 .13
25 225 .13
26 115 .14
27 1174 .14
28 318 .17
29 1448 .21
30 1589 .21
31 105 .22
Mick HanneyJul 16 2016, 9:16pmThanks for your support Kieran. Those sweets were a godsend.
Pádraig DoyleJul 16 2016, 10:38pmThanks Daniela and all the volunteers. Twas a lovely day on the hills. Nicely organised. The sambos and treats were, well, a treat.
Mike JordanJul 19 2016, 3:26pmFree route choice is a beautiful thing:
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#642633489?c=gcee6nnm&z=D&t=1NYYol&a=Ec9NJoW_Uybtg28mntVvJogeUiZde04msclOJg
Gordon PlaceJul 19 2016, 5:39pmThanks Daniela and all the volunteers for a great, tough day.

Didn't realize I was tracking on Strava. Good to see the flyby thing, even if I seem to have started an hour late. Anyone know if you can edit activity start times on it? Can't find it on there