Irish Mountain
Running Association

Scarr

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorApr 20 2016, 5:52pmRace Director still needed for Scarr if anyone fancies the job
Brian O MurchuMay 19 2016, 5:03pmFrom the RD:
We need the following jobs to be filled: a race marker (very little marking needed), a First Aider and a laptop operator (unless Padraig will step up and do the job proper. There are a few who would show you the ropes before the race, Padraig) for next week. Thanks Andreas
Miriam MaherMay 19 2016, 5:07pmI've put my name down for laptop operator
John ShielsMay 19 2016, 5:43pmI'll have a break from running and take photos.
I won't be able to get there in time to do marking but could de-mark afterwards?
Pól Ó MurchúMay 19 2016, 11:02pmI can help with the laptop. It's very easy Padraig...
Pól Ó MurchúMay 19 2016, 11:11pmOh just seen Miriam's comment now. You are in good hands there Padraig!
Andreas KuschMay 22 2016, 10:42pmWeather forecast is good.
I have enough helpers now.
Please let me know if you would like a junior race like last year.
A jacket is mandatory and needs to be carried.
See you on Wednesday hopefully.
Miriam MaherMay 22 2016, 10:53pmHi Andreas, I'm bringing a junior with me - my son Luke who is a MJ - don't mind what route you set as long as you have a junior route for him! Thanks Miriam
Andreas KuschMay 22 2016, 10:58pmWe will have a junior course on Wednesday.
John LawlorMay 23 2016, 1:10pmHi Guys, I am trying to make an entry for this race on Wed Evening, I have a voucher,however, I don't know how I use it to make the entry, can anyone help me, thanks
Brendan LawlorMay 23 2016, 1:19pmHi Mr ,Mrs, Ms or Miss Lawlor

Just bring your voucher and your race number along on Wednesday. Bring your mandatory jacket too and see event details for carpooling and car parking instructions

Also note that there is a NPWS limit of 200 participants for this race so come along early
Brian O MurchuMay 23 2016, 1:28pmHi Lawlor,
The system seems to be missing a first name for you, can you advise so we can amend this
John LawlorMay 23 2016, 3:37pmThanks for getting back to me, it's John Lawlor, see you Wednesday.
Mark ByrneMay 23 2016, 4:25pmHi, what distance will the junior race be? Can 12yrs run? Thanks Mark
Andreas KuschMay 23 2016, 6:18pmHi Mark, 12 year old children can run. The junior race will be around 3-4 km long. Up and down is what I have in mind at the moment. There will be less than half a dozen juniors probably. 1 confirmed runner.All welcome, but you need to register for the year before Tuesday 6pm.
Pádraig DoyleMay 23 2016, 6:22pmHi Andreas. Missed a few of the earlier laptop messages. I'll be glad to learn the laptop ropes from someone, but sure I'll do any aul job at all. Shoe lace tier, fizzy drink de-gasser, branch straightener, decoy, hill steepener.

6 o'clock OK?
Thanks.
P.
Andreas KuschMay 23 2016, 8:39pmPlease sign-up by 6pm on Tuesday if you don't have a voucher or a friend with a voucher.
You need to be an IMRA member and need to register for the year before Tuesday 6pm if you haven't done so already.
You will have to carry a rain jacket during the race (no, having one in the car isn't good enough). It's for your safety and it is mandatory.
Limit of 200 participants in place.
Early start at 7pm.
There will be a 3 to 4k junior race at 7.40pm.

Can all helpers try and be there by 6pm. (Note to myself).
Andreas KuschMay 23 2016, 9:47pmPlease sign-up by 6pm on Tuesday if you don't have a voucher or a friend with a voucher.
You need to be an IMRA member and need to register for the year before Tuesday 6pm if you haven't done so already.
You will have to carry a rain jacket during the race (no, having one in the car isn't good enough). It's for your safety and it is mandatory.
Limit of 200 participants in place.
Early start at 7pm.
There will be a 3 to 4k junior race at 7.40pm.

Can all helpers try and be there by 6pm. (Note to myself).
Brian O MurchuMay 24 2016, 12:13amDid you know there are still some IMRA yearbooks left? They are available online in the 'purchase IMRA products' section, and can be collected at your next race.....which could be Scarr!
Kieran CravenMay 24 2016, 3:18pmAre there any additional carpool offers out there for runners?

Is anyone driving through Leixlip, M50 (Red Cow), or city centre that could give two people a lift?

No current offers from that part of town on carpool section.

Thanks,

Kieran
Damien MolloyMay 24 2016, 4:57pmHi Kieran,

Was planning to leave Santry quite early so can come through c/centre - on the way home can drop to Leixlip as I'm heading for Ongar.

Damien
Andrew HanneyMay 24 2016, 5:33pmAnyone car pooling from the Coach House? It will be me and one other.
June O'NeillMay 24 2016, 10:24pmAm an IMRA member for 2016 but missed registration today- trying to get my first run of the season! No voucher either. Any chance of a run or should I just register for Trooperstown in advance! I see numbers are limited. Thanks, June
James HigginsMay 24 2016, 10:29pmJune, you can use my voucher...Welcome back!
Louisa O'SullivanMay 25 2016, 9:42amI pre-booked this race but can't go now as hubby sick so childminding duties call. Can I transfer this to the next race or if not can I just let someone have my spot if they want it?
June O'NeillMay 25 2016, 10:18amOh Jim, brilliant! Thanks!I just show up then right?
James HigginsMay 25 2016, 10:24amJune, yes just show up. You will still need to register etc with the voucher....oh! don't forget to bring a jacket to carry on the race.
June O'NeillMay 25 2016, 12:58pmThanks so much Jim!
Andrew HanneyMay 25 2016, 3:02pmCar pool from coach house sorted.
Owen FletcherMay 25 2016, 4:09pmJust added a carpool there if anyone is interested...leaving Clonee/Ongar just before 6 and on to N3->M50 so can pick people up in Clonsilla/Blanch area.
Damien CoyleMay 26 2016, 12:07amWell done everyone this evening at Scarr. Great times posted.
Well done to Andreas on Race Directing and too his team of volunteers.
James H CahillMay 26 2016, 1:08amWell done Andreas and all your helpers, route markers, laptop operators and first aiders, and deputy race directorfor a great outing in the hills today. As Brendan said you made it look easy.......the three D management method - decide, delegate and disappear (or dont appear!). Great evening, great race and delicious sandwiches!
Luke GreeneMay 26 2016, 6:46amThanks to all the organisers for last night, was a lovely run. My finishing time seems to have 5 mins added on, I was in the early starters at 7 o clock.
Can it be changed?
Cheers!
Fiona SheerinMay 26 2016, 8:36amLouisa, sorry no refunds or transfers are allowed.

Luke, please email karen.devenney@imra.ie to get your results amended.

thanks.
Barbara KilbrideMay 26 2016, 9:21amThanks to all the volunteers for a wonderful race last night, it was absolutely amazing!!
Paul V MitchellMay 26 2016, 11:13amThanks, really enjoyed the race, was well organised.
Thanks also for getting the results up so quickly.
Paul SmythMay 26 2016, 11:13am@Luke, Early starts are people who are likely to be 160% or more of the winners time. See this posting https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2635, from which I quote:

"There are a number of people taking the early start option that do not need to. Too many early starts can cause safety issues on the mountain, and also issues for recording times at the finish. To discourage people from taking the early start when they do not need to, we are introducing the 160% rule. You should only take the early start if your time is greater than 160% of the winning time. When the winning time is known, any early starts whose time is faster than 160% of the winning time will have their time adjusted to 160% of the winning time.

So as an example, last nights winning time was 46 minutes. 160% of this time is 73 minutes 30 seconds. An early start who finished quicker than this would have their time adjusted to 73 min 30 sec."

Looking at your results, you are averaging a good bit below 160% which makes you ineligible for the early starts.
Carl MurphyMay 26 2016, 5:09pmHi Paul,

Apologies, it was only my second race so didn't know the exact purpose for the early start - I just thought it was for people to get home in time for the news! Anyway, point taken and fully understood but for my own curiosity would it be possible to get my actual race time please? I was at 151% for my first race so I don't imagine there was a huge difference this time but it would be good to know. Thanks in advance, Carl

p.s. very well organised and loving it so far
Brendan LawlorMay 26 2016, 8:28pmWell done Andreas - putting it up to the other Race Directors with a fine stash of vegetarian wholebread sandwiches featuring his own home made chutney and other delights, all carefully smuggled into the pub... 'We have no race vouchers !' the masses cried - 'Well let them eat sandwiches' was the RD's quickfire reply.

Thanks as usual to Brian and Nicky for the use of the parking field and donation to Mountain Rescue.I'll post the total in the next day or two. Thanks also to all the helpers
Karen DevenneyMay 26 2016, 10:41pmWell done to Andreas & Co on putting on another great race!

FYI I'm a bit busy over the next few days (pesky life getting in the way!) so will address all emails I've received re results when I can. That said, if you don't email it won't get changed! karen.devenney at imra dot ie

Re the early start, as per Paul's post, only runners who usually finish >160% of winner should be taking this...it is not an option to get home earlier or give an unfair advantage to runners through avoidance of bottlenecks that occur when running with the main field. Taking an unwarranted early start also creates many problems for the volunteers,esp the laptop operator and even more importantly, for me! From next week onwards, any runner who takes the early start & finishes under 160% will have their race time adjusted to 160%.

Remember folks that Imra relies solely on volunteers to make races happen. If volunteering becomes too much hassle, people won't do it & then we have no races. So in that spirit, we need everyone to do their part to make events run smoothly & your cooperation is greatly appreciated
Andreas KuschMay 26 2016, 11:15pmThanks to my wonderful team of volunteers on the night. Many hands make light work.
I was correct with my comment on the new course record for the looped route. Well done, Des Kennedy. It looks like we also have a course record for the ladies. Congratulations, Becky Quinn.
For 2017: Early start at 7.10pm.
Rachel CinnsealachMay 26 2016, 11:34pmThanks to Andreas and all the other helpers last night. I really enjoyed the race. The descent down Scarr was classic. Personally I am always in two minds as to whether to do the early start or not on a LL race. I am more inclined to them if they are 1/2 hour before the main field. I loved the race last night and I took the early start. However the week before, I hated it. Maybe because I was tired, but the early start was only 20 minutes ahead. I found I was in peoples way as they were trying to pass. I was getting demoralised as loads of runners were passing and I promised myself, that the following week, I was going to start with the main crowd. I heard the start was at 7.00 last night, I did it, very few people to overtook me, and I really enjoyed the race.
Brenda MalleyMay 26 2016, 11:49pmI agree with Rachel - the 30 minute head start allowed us to get far enough ahead of the crowd to allow for easier passing. I'm the slowest runner at 260%, and worry about holding everyone up or being out there after dark! This was great and very well organised, thanks to Andreas and team.
Barry MurrayMay 27 2016, 9:17amRace report up, thanks Andreas (;-)) and crew...
Brendan LawlorMay 30 2016, 5:24pmHi

There was €331 collected at the field at Scarr which will now be donated to Mountain Rescue as requested by Brian and Nicky Gaffney - thank you all very much.