Irish Mountain
Running Association

Annagh Hill

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnJan 14 2016, 12:31pmMick, does the Annagh route need Coillte or National Parks consent as I am contacting them this week re all races?
Mick HanneyFeb 13 2016, 3:26pmNB: As per other races in 2016 there is NO cash entries or registrations on the day.

Race entry on the day is via race vouchers, which you can buy on the website. Or you can pay to do the race as a once-off online. The online methods will close, I believe on the Friday evening, in order to finalise details on the laptop for the race.

So the advice is don't leave it to the last minute to register / buy vouchers. Before Friday evening is the last opportunity.
Mick HanneyFeb 19 2016, 5:16pmRegistration will be in the Gap Pub beforehand where we should have a room off the bar.

Prize-giving after will be in the pub. For post-race sustenance the pub has a basic menu of soup, sambos and delicious pizza. Good craic guaranteed as people share their race stories.

I'm still looking for a laptop operator and first aider. The laptop job has become more straightforward since the online developments so I'd encourage someone to give it a go. I can give pointers on the day if necessary.
Mick HanneyFeb 20 2016, 12:45pmFinalised map and elevation on site.
Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/497608110
Mick HanneyFeb 20 2016, 12:48pmPlease note the event difficulty if you are considering this...
Event Difficulty: 9
Difficult Terrain, >500M ascent, >10Km
Paul JoyceFeb 21 2016, 4:36pmJust back from a recce of this new route... Annagh Hill really is a smashing place for a run, there are so many route choices, and lots of different terrain. Each time there has been a race here its had something special to offer each time, and Mick's new route doesn't disappoint in that regard. He is to be commended on managing to find an ever steeper uphill than "The Wall"... I managed to surmount it with difficulty, sliding backwards often. Its a real tester! Very difficult race is in store, and even the slop-lovers will have their boggy relationship tested to its limits. You cannot wear shoes grippy enough!
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2016, 12:17pmRoute description follows in next post.
Route has been tweaked to avoid private land on ridge and to avoid possible damage to fences / walls.
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2016, 12:17pmRoute description follows in next post.
Route has been tweaked to avoid private land on ridge and to avoid possible damage to fences / walls.
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2016, 12:17pmAnnagh Hill, 2016. A tough hill running challenge. 11.1k, 623m climb
A section by section description of route follows.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1066505568
Start and finish are just inside forest entrance from old Wicklow gap.
Read the following instructions in conjunction with the map on the above link.
1. Short fire road to wall. Cross wall and severe climb (avg grade > 20%) to gate at top.
2. Note Change from previous races here, to avoid privately owned land.
3. After gate, go through gap in wall, run alongside wall for a short distance until stile on right-hand fence.
4. Cross stile and continue run out along Annagh ridge.
5. We will go and and back the same track, which is rocky and wet in parts.
6. The ridge run will take you to nearly the 4k mark.
7. I intend having a marshall at a sharp righ turn where runners take steep downhill alongside wall to fire-road. Avg grade -31%.
8. Immediate left and follow fire-road right descending.
9. At the end of this fire-road take a sharp left and start short sharp Connahill climb. Grade 28% and slippy.
10. The top of the climb goes left through a nice grassy lane.
11. Cross fire-road and start climb back up to Annagh Ridge, where you meet the route you were on earlier.
12. Run Annagh Ridge, at end take sharp left and technical downhill, some at least one tree to duck under.
13. Follow technical, muddy trail to finish. Very steep in places with avg grade -16%.
Mick HanneyFeb 28 2016, 9:35pmA call out for some more volunteers for Annagh. Thanks to those that have come forward so far. Those that are local I'll probably ask to marshall parts of route. Local knowledge and all that.

Roles left to fill:-
- First aider
- Laptop operator / Shadow laptop operator
- Route sweeper / De-marker
- Some general helpers both running / non-running

Thanks.
Mick HanneyMar 1 2016, 1:43pmFor Annagh hill I am discouraging novice / first time hill runners. It is an challenging route so experience is valuable.

Also I am encouraging anyone that is normally > 160% of the first finishers time to use the formal early start. We will record a list of early starters and ensure the results are updated with that in mind. Any early starters should let us know at the finish line so we have a dual record of it.

Thanks.
Mick HanneyMar 5 2016, 8:17pmHi,

Thanks to the volunteers who have put their name forward so far. I am still without a first aider, without which an event cannot take place, so I'd be grateful if someone can make themselves available.

Remember, if you intend running please register/pay online/buy vouchers in advance. No registration or cash payment on the day.

Trail shoes with grip are essential for this route. Lots of inov8s in evidence today at Trooperstown which will fit the bill well. Anything else and you'll be at risk of a slip.

Regards,

Mick
Mick HanneyMar 7 2016, 8:36amHi,

AFAIK I am okay for a laptop operator.
However this event needs a first aid volunteer or it cannot go ahead.

Regards,

Mick
Mick HanneyMar 7 2016, 9:08pmI need another 2 to 3 non-running volunteers please. If you have done your complement of Winter League races or, if you are unfortunately carrying an injury, you might consider helping out.

Non-running volunteers chances of getting a spot prize are greatly increased in my view of the world :-)

To those taking part please use the CAR POOL and car pool where possible. Single occupancy cars frowned upon unless they are precious non-running volunteers.
Paul LarkinsMar 8 2016, 1:11pmIs the race full? I don't see any option to purchase under the IMRA products?
Eoin KeithMar 8 2016, 1:44pmFor some reason the online entry wasn't properly active. It should be all good to go now. Please enter at the earliest opportunity!
Brian O MurchuMar 8 2016, 11:17pmA few people have been asking me about 'the wall'.....some details in previous race report https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/931/
Mick HanneyMar 9 2016, 9:51amAnd Brian, that is just the first climb. Its a good warm up.
Mick HanneyMar 9 2016, 12:15pmThanks James and Dermot for volunteering for first aid and laptop respectively.

If I had 1 more non-running volunteer that would be ideal.
Caitlin BentMar 9 2016, 1:43pmI could do non-running volunteer Mick, but might not be down till 10.45 ish.
Mick HanneyMar 9 2016, 3:06pmMuch appreciated.
Mick HanneyMar 9 2016, 8:06pmJust another mention of the early start at 11.30. If you are > 160% of the winners time on average please consider it. If an early starter has a fast finish time I reserve the right to dock their time back to 160%.

I expect the winning time for the race to be around the 60 min mark, so bear that in mind in terms of how long it might take you.

Please heed the guidance of marshalls around the hill.
Mick HanneyMar 10 2016, 8:31pmEntries close early tomorrow evening so if entering online do it early.

Forecast is looking good so far for weekend. Don't forget the jacket though.
Mick HanneyMar 11 2016, 9:31amThere is a certain Ireland rugby match at 1.30 tomorrow so let that spur you on around the hills :-)
Graham MooreMar 11 2016, 12:32pmHi I know I am a tad bit late but is it too late to register for Annagh ?
Graham MooreMar 11 2016, 12:38pmits just I am trying to register for this race and there is no option .
Brian O MurchuMar 11 2016, 1:00pmI logged into MyIMRA just now, and the purchase option is there for Annagh Hill
Angus TynerMar 11 2016, 1:06pmIt wasn't there 15 minutes ago!!
Mick HanneyMar 11 2016, 3:30pmWe have enough volunteers now, thanks a lot all.

Anyone considering a volunteer slot please look ahead to Maulin and subsequent races.

If you are running tomorrow please read the race details and the forum posts up until now so you are fully informed.
Mick HanneyMar 12 2016, 5:15pmA great day on Annagh. I hope you will take time to submit a race report in due course.
Mick HanneyMar 13 2016, 8:11amCracking reports and photos (thanks Andy).
Syl IversMar 15 2016, 10:32amJust to say a big well done to everyone who came and conquered Annagh...it was a great race...well done Mick.
I have some photos from the run on face-book...Run the Gap...
and finally...if any on ye wish to return to hills of Annagh, keep an eye on The Gap Trail Runners...we would be delighted to have you along...well done again.
Eddie CousinsMar 15 2016, 8:30pmFantastic Course Folks, thanks a million to all involved.