Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glasnamullen and an anti-clockwise lap of Djouce

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorMay 11 2015, 1:11pmHi

As last year the Glasnamullan race will be a circular route with a National Park permit, capping the race at 200 participants. I expect the route to be identical to last years but will confirm that closer to the date.

Prizegiving and carpooling at the CoachHouse in Roundwood

Parking and registration in the field opposite race start with a donation to Wicklow Hospice based on numbers in your car - the more you have the cheaper it gets

Jackets are mandatory and there will be checks before the race and randomly of finishers - if you don't have a jacket you won't get a result

I'll update again on Thursday as I don't want to steal any of Angela's volunteers
Brendan LawlorMay 14 2015, 9:19amPlenty more volunteers needed for next Wednesday especially a race marker (or two) and a first aider
Angus TynerMay 14 2015, 10:56amI can mark course (and demark) to beginning of boardwalk en route to summit marshal duty. This would leave only from end of boardwalk to finish needing to be marked.
Brendan LawlorMay 15 2015, 10:43amLost and Found from last few weeks in the photo section of this event- please claim at Glasnamullan if you recognize anything
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2015, 11:39amFINAL APPEAL

Hi folks

I am still seriously short on volunteers for this weeks race

I need someone to help mark the route and two route marshals plus more general helpers
Martin BagnallMay 18 2015, 12:45pmHi Brendan,

I can volunteer but 6:15 is the earliest I can be there if that's ok?

Cheers,
Martin
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2015, 12:51pmHi Martin

Thats fine
Lorcan FarrellMay 18 2015, 1:27pmHi Brendan, I've put my name down as a helper and would like to run as well (although if needed I can skip it if you are stuck). I'm a newbie and this will be my first time volunteering, what time and where are the volunteers meeting?

Lorcan.
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2015, 1:41pmThanks Lorcan - that will be great - try to be at race registration as close to 6 as possible.See last years thread for very detailed instructions on where you need to go ! I'll post final update and race instructions after lunch. Jimmy Sinnott , Liz Ryan and Aoife Joyce can also help so we should be ok now - thanks in advance to all
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2015, 2:18pmFinal instructions for Wednesday...

1- 200 limit
Registration will close ONCE WE REACH 200 PARTICIPANTS – this is a National Parks requirement so please don’t get upset with us if you don’t get to run – come early
2- Parking
As is often the case at IMRA races, car parking is limited for this event. Please car pool if possible either from town or from the prizegiving pub (Coach House in Roundwood).
We have secured parking in a field near the race start for which a small charge will be made in inverse proportion to number in the car -> more people = lower charge :-)!
All monies collected will be donated to the Wicklow Hospice
To encourage and reward car pooling we will charge as follows- charge per car :-)
•Cars with 1 person = €5
•Cars with 2 people = €4
•Cars with 3 people = €3
•Cars with 4 or more = €2
No parking permitted on the general roadside as the road is too narrow Please park following the marshals' instructions.
3- Registration and Early start – can all volunteers please be onsite by 6 -Registration is in a field opposite the race start (Car park is at Grid Ref O 203 090 – see last years race thread for driving directions)and will open from 6.15 until 7.25 or when the 200 limit is reached. Early start at 7.10 for those whose percentage is greater than 160% - please don’t take the early start if you don’t need it
Registration will close ONCE WE REACH 200 PARTICIPANTS – this is a National Parks requirement
Annual registration is €10 (€5 for the unwaged) and race registration is €7 (€4 for the unwaged).
Bring exact change and look up your number if already registered for this year in advance if you can to help smooth registration.
If you've never run an IMRA race before, or if you haven't registered for the current year, it would be helpful if you can register online using MyIMRA
4- Jackets are mandatory and will be spot checked before and after the race – you will be disqualified if you don’t have one. No headphones allowed
5- Make sure you hand back your number after the race
6- Junior turnaround is where the race route meets the Wicklow Way – there will be a marshal there
7- Please collect any lost and found from the last few weeks from Brendan
8- Yearbooks will be on sale if Rachel brings them
9- We are fine now for volunteers, thanks
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2015, 5:53pmNO MORE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Please jump onto one of the next Wednesday races
Richard NunanMay 18 2015, 6:01pmGood Job Brendan !!! Best of luck with the race.

Thanks especially to the first time Volunteers !!! Its always the same people volunteering

Don't forget 2 Non-Running Volunteer roles and 7 races to qualify for the End of League Prize !!
Paul KevilleMay 18 2015, 8:16pmGreat to see that the volunteers came through for this race. I need more volunteers for next week's race in tibradden. First aid officer and non running volunteers
Caoimhin MacMaolainMay 20 2015, 10:05pmThe organization for this race tonight was really excellent. Thanks to Brendan and helpers for this. Really enjoyed the race.
Paul O'GradyMay 20 2015, 11:15pmGreat route and a great run tonight. Thank you to Brendan and the team.
James H CahillMay 21 2015, 12:17amThank you for a great fun race this evening and as per the previous comments, expertly managed and run by Brendan and his team
Gerry BradyMay 21 2015, 7:55amNice to see Robin Bryson running and doing well. Must have brought back memories of his former self when he saw Mark Ryan winning by two and a half minutes.

Happy birthday to IMRA, 35 this month.
Adrian HennessyMay 21 2015, 8:36amThanks to Brendan and his volunteers last night for a great race. Thanks also to Diarmuid for attending to my bloody knee after the race.
Richard ChurchMay 21 2015, 9:43amEchoing the others. Thanks to the Brendan and the team for a great race, as ever, and to Karen for getting the results up so quickly.
Brendan LawlorMay 21 2015, 9:50amBig thank you to everyone who assisted at last nights race especially the race marker (Stuart), laptop operator (Karen), first aider(Mick) and route marshals(Marty, John, Dave, Martin and Fiona) - Angela and Angus were a great help as unofficial Deputy Race Directors and the rest of you did great work also- please volunteer for future races - last minute scramble for volunteers leads to sleepless nights so try to make life a little less stressful for us poor Race Directors by getting your hands up early !

Also thank you to Lucy and Peter Mulloy for the use of their parking and registration field - I'll update on the Wicklow Hospice donation later this week

No jacket disqualifications which is great

One ankle injury - get well soon!

Thanks committee for the sambos - lots of you need fattening up so more of that sort of thing..

Ray Linn, I think Diarmuid's result is an error - spend your voucher in peace

Welcome back Robbie Bryson - another of our living legends

See you all at WW Relay and Tibradden!
Pól Ó MurchúMay 21 2015, 10:03amYes Karen super job getting results up so quick! ;-)
Mikey FryMay 21 2015, 10:15amHey pòl just to let you know I came in 6th behind Damien mcparland thanks Mikey:)
Stuart ScottMay 21 2015, 10:23amPretty sure I saw Regina Kelly as a marshal too - thanks Regina!

Great work Karen. Definitely much more efficient than this results secretary whoever he is :-)
Brendan LawlorMay 21 2015, 12:07pm331.10 collected at the car park last night on behalf of Wicklow Hospice - thank you all and thanks again to Peter and Lucy
Rachel CinnsealachMay 21 2015, 11:10pmThanks Brendan and all the helpers for a great race last night. I really enjoyed it.

Also welcome back to Joan Flanagan, Joan was first female when I started in 2003, and she was also one of Irelands top climbers.
Lorcan FarrellMay 22 2015, 8:40pmThere were a few people chatting about the length of the Glasnamullen/Djouce race on Wednesday compared to what it says on the site. Here's a link to what my Garmin GPS watch recorded in terms of length and ascent.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/781296094

I've usually found my Forerunner 305 to be pretty accurate so for Length it recorded 10.18km as opposed to 8.4km and 460m elevation gain over the total distance of the race as opposed to 410m on the website. I'm wondering if anyone else recorded the route and is it worth changing the distances/height on the website?
Rachel CinnsealachMay 22 2015, 10:36pmThe description on the website are probably from two years ago, We changed the route last year as NPWS did not want 2000 runners running up and down the same track and further eroding the ground. Hence a lot of the open mountain routes have been made into circuits. My Garmin registered 10.4 km for Wed race. You are right, the website needs to be updated. (and ask Pol will agree, I need to learn how to do this!!!!!!)
Graham K. BusheMay 23 2015, 10:48pmThanks to all the team for a great run. Hope any injuries won't keep anyone off the hills too long. I had been wondering about the distance, that improves the average pace :)
And also, I should say that while I did eventually manage to catch up with Mikey, he did go through the chute before me.