Irish Mountain
Running Association

Scarr - * NEW ROUTE*

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Stephen BrennanMay 15 2014, 1:02amI hope you are all looking forward to next week's race at Scarr especially after tonight's epic event at Djouce.

I need a laptop operator, first aid person and several non-running volunteers.

I will post more information about the route and other details over the coming days.

I'm looking forward to the race too. It will be my first as RD and I hope it goes smoothly.

Regards,

Stephen
Alexey RashevskiyMay 15 2014, 10:21amHi,

my account online and my number still aren't connected.
My name in runners lists on the race is still incorrect.
Guy, can we fix that please? :)
Keith MulveyMay 15 2014, 3:39pmI'll do running First Aid Officer for ya. Hopefully the mountain name doesn't live up to its name!! :)
Stephen BrennanMay 15 2014, 4:08pmThanks, Keith.

Hopefully it will be a quiet night for first aid.

Stephen
David PenderMay 15 2014, 6:00pmHi,
Once you get to round wood where is the car park and registration please. Never ran this one before.
Thanks,
David
Stephen BrennanMay 16 2014, 9:16amJust to let you know that the National Parks and Wildlife Service have awarded a permit for the Scarr race with two conditions:

1. A limit of 200 people:

These will be allocated on a first come first served basis on the night.

If you arrive late on the night and the race is full, you can't race. However, there is nothing to stop you running the course at your own risk, eg., if you get lost we won't know about it, so you are on your own!

Can I ask if you do run unofficially, please do not pass through the finish chute as this will interfere with the recording of results.

2. To reduce environmental impact, NPWS requested a circuit rather than an up and down route.

The new route retains the traditional Scarr descent which is one of the best in the calendar and one to look forward to. However, the route to the summit is changed and will incorporate about 1 km of open mountain running, some of it steep. If you haven't run a weekend race before this will give you a flavor of what it's like.

Please take extra care on the night that you follow the tape and don't get lost.

I still need more volunteers: a laptop operator and some running and non-running volunteers.

I will post a map and other details over the next few days so please keep an eye on the forum.

Stephen
Laurence ColleranMay 16 2014, 10:45amHi Stephen,

Just volunteered as running volunteer. Happy to switch to non running volunteer if needed.
Stephen BrennanMay 16 2014, 6:31pmThanks Laurence.

I'm still short a few non-running volunteers.

As this is a new route, I want to have marshals anywhere people are likely to go wrong.

Stephen
JuJu JayMay 17 2014, 12:51amhey dude.. ya ill do marshal for you at that point where you asked and let Mike mark it out...
and if anyone wants to Park in Laragh for do a small warm up run ill be running from laragh its not far and nice run...
peace
Stephen BrennanMay 17 2014, 11:14amHere's the Garmin of the new route:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/6603997

The descent from the summit remains unchanged. It's one of the best in calendar and something to look forward to. The course changes are on the ascent.

The race starts out at the farm as before, up the lane to the stile and gate (which will be open) on the Wicklow Way.

At this point the WW goes left and the traditional up and down route goes straight-ahead.

The new course goes RIGHT and follows a track along the perimeter of the forest as far as the corner. It then turns RIGHT down hill to the fence/wall. This marks the boundary of the National Park.

Follow the wall LEFT from the forest the whole way up onto the ridge. This is a tough climb across open mountain.

The route turns RIGHT on the ridge through a gap in the wall and follows the usual trail to the summit.

Scarr has several false summits so please continue on until you round the cairn and begin your descent.

Follow the ridge back down, straight through the gap in the wall. The ground levels out after about 2km. Please keep an eye out for the LEFT turn at a fence near the forest which heads back towards the finish line.

If you miss this turn you will end up in Laragh! If you reach a closed gate and stile, you have gone too far so turn back.

As this is a new route, please be extra vigilant to make sure you don't go wrong. Follow the tape, not the person in front.
Laurence ColleranMay 17 2014, 9:26pmhi stephen.

i'll change to non running volunteer.

Laurence
Angus TynerMay 17 2014, 11:09pmJunior route?

Will they turn LEFT in the following?

The route turns RIGHT on the ridge through a gap in the wall and follows the usual trail to the summit.
Stephen BrennanMay 17 2014, 11:30pm@ David Pender:

The best thing to do is to park your car at the Coach House in Roundwood and carpool to the start location.

If you are driving, take the road to Lough Dan from the pub as far as Old Bridge and then a left towards Glendalough and Laragh.

Follow the Wicklow Way, which turns right up a lane after a further 2km.

@Angus Tyner:

I'll get back to you about the junior course.
Gavan DohertyMay 18 2014, 7:23pmHi all,

Additional detail 'on the ground' from Brendan Doherty (Friday reconnaissance):

"Leaving the track at the end of the trail up from the start, the runner sees a rising hill above, made up of three parts
1) Running up through a lovely grass field, gently sloping upward , with a faint track leading uphill toward the main peaks of Scarr on the horizon over about 400m of climb. Keep these peaks in view if you are at all uncertain as to the overall route to take
2) Climb further through a recent burned patch of undergrowth (here, looking to the right, a combination stonewall/wire-fence appear). This wall is where you need to get to in the next section
3) Above this area, about 400m of roughish climb gets runners to the track/stone-wall junction that guides runners to the summit of Scarr
"

see you Wednesday.
Michael HeatlyMay 19 2014, 1:02amI reccied the route on sunday afternoon. Very tough climb compared to old route . Hope there is a few marshals at the "forest corner " and the start of the boundry wall to prevent runners short cutting across the slope . :-)
David PenderMay 19 2014, 7:42amThanks for that.
Brendan LawlorMay 19 2014, 7:48amReminder re carparking arrangements and carpooling for Scarr race - these arrangements will be in place for Glasnamullan on Wednesday week also

Also remember there is a National Park imposed cap of 200 runners in place for Scarr, and probably for Glasnamullan too - so come early

As is often the case at IMRA races, car parking is limited for this event. Please car pool if possible either from town or from the prizegiving pub (Coach House in Roundwood).

We have secured parking in a field near the race start for which a small charge will be made in inverse proportion to number in the car -> more people = lower charge :-)!

All monies collected will be donated to a local charity as per the landowners choice.(Brian and Nicky Gaffney for Scarr, Lucy and Peter Mulloy for Glasnamullan)

To encourage and reward car pooling we will charge as follows- charge per car :-)

Cars with 1 person = €5
Cars with 2 people = €4
Cars with 3 people = €3
Cars with 4 or more = €2

Please park following the marshals' instructions.
Karl HeartyMay 19 2014, 9:23amHi,
Do you have directions to the carparking field that is mentioned in the forum. What road is it located on?
Many Thanks,
Karl
Brendan LawlorMay 19 2014, 9:33amKarl

From Roundwood take the road heading to Lough Dan (the road opposite the Coach House Pub car park.) You will eventually come to a T junction, go left (you'll see a Wicklow Way sign), drive through Oldbridge for about 2km (all of this route is on the Wicklow Way) . Watch out for a lane way on your right hand side (it will be marked with an IMRA sign and WW sign) and the carpark is located about 800 m up that lane

The Grid reference for the carpark and start location is approx T 152 997

If in doubt pick up someone at the Coach House who knows the way or ask a local for Gaffney's house. If you end up in Laragh you've gone too far!
Stephen BrennanMay 19 2014, 9:44am@ Karl:

See response to David Pender above re directions to the race start and parking

@ Gavan, Brendan Doherty, Michael Heatly

The route described by Brendan is in fact a short cut. It is not the race route.

Runners are required to turn RIGHT at the corner of the forest and run down to the wall before turning LEFT up the mountain.

Note to everyone:

The route map on the IMRA site is the old route. We are trying to get this updated but the functionality currently isn't working.

A Garmin of the new route has been posted on the forum and on Facebook.

Please make sure to follow the tape on the night and don't assume that the runner in front is following the correct route!

Barney CramptonMay 19 2014, 12:49pmHi Stephen,

What time would you like the volunteers to arrive?
Alexey RashevskiyMay 19 2014, 4:05pmHi guys,
I have couple questions.

- Is this race is much more difficult than Bray or Scar? I'm a bit scare of 200 ascend during 2.5-3.5km. Is it same steep as Bray Head (8km isn't a problem I run much longer distances, but ascent is a new thing for me)?
- Can someone from organisers merge my accounts? I have this account "Alexey Rashevskiy" with race number 2349. But on first race I was given race number 588 (and ran second race with 588 too). My name is misspelled for 588 - "Alexey Rashevskly" (lowercase L instead of lowercase I at the end of my surname).
Can you please assign 588 to my current account and delete the second one? Thanks!
Rene BorgMay 19 2014, 5:33pmStephen - I don't have your email but would you mind sending it onto me at rene@championseverywhere.com - I want to ensure I get a chance to get the first aid kit off your first aider after the race is over ahead of the Relay.
Warren SwordsMay 19 2014, 6:13pmAlexey,

It wouldn't be that much more difficult than Bray or Scalp. Bray is probably a bit steeper compared to Scarr.

Bray goes up 200 metres in the first 1km.

Whereas Scarr goes up 270 metres from 2.27km to 4km.

There's, roughly, 100 metres more ascent at Scarr compared to Bray.

It is tougher but the reward is 4km of downhill

Deirdre Flynn-McGrathMay 19 2014, 6:25pmIs there an early start? If so what time please? Thank you. Dee
Ronan HickeyMay 19 2014, 8:18pmHey Alexey,

Definitely run it. I find Bray much tougher than Scarr, shorter but sharper! Scarr is an absolute gem. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Ro

JuJu jayMay 19 2014, 8:46pmRene I can take it down to you save you the time of coming up but am easy what ever works for you...
peace
Stephen BrennanMay 19 2014, 10:33pmEarly start:

There will be an early start at 7:00pm. Please make sure the marshall has recorded your number, so as to help with the smooth recording of results.

New Route map:

The new route map has been posted on Facebook. We are trying to get it posted on the website as well.

Junior Race:

The junior race will start at 7:30 from the corner of the forest (labeled 14 on the map). This is approx 2km from the main race start, so it is imperative that juniors make their way from the car park no later than 7:15 to get to their starting location on time.

The junior route starts with a short down hill run to the wall and then turns left up the hill. The juniors will turn left at the gap in the wall at the top of the ridge and follow the main route back to the finish. They will NOT visit the summit.

Alexey:

I've asked someone to take a look at your account issues.

Many will find the open mountain climb on this new route quite challenging but this is what mountain running is all about and the descent from Scarr is a classic.

Volunteers:

I have enough volunteers now - thanks a million to everyone. I know that Brendan is looking for help at next week's race so I'd encourage you to sign up if you can.

I will be allocating volunteer roles and other details including arrival time tomorrow.
Alexey RashevskiyMay 19 2014, 10:48pmWarren, Ronan, Stephen thanks! I've subscribed for race and for car pool :)

Just wondering what is a "normal" HR on those races? I run short races (like 5m) with 168-175bpm, 10km with something like 165bpm. But last two IMRA races my avg. HR was about 186 with spikes up to 190 (I'm 32 y.o., so max HR would be around 188). I'm wondering, may be I'm running too hard (if there is such thing as too hard :))
Angus TynerMay 19 2014, 11:24pmThat's an excellent junior option Stephen. Well done and thanks. Was discussing this with Zoe this evening. I had realised that my original suggestion was too long and that a possibility was to start further into course. Didn't think it would be provided. Very happy to be proved wrong!

Now between Zoe and myself, who will finish first...
Stephen BrennanMay 20 2014, 8:52am@Angus: Glad you're happy. You and Zoe will have a race within a race. My money is on Zoe. :) The course was Richard's idea.

@Alexey: Can you email pol.omurchu@imra.ie with your correct name spelling and the two race results that need to be changed and he will take care of it. He has a list as long as the Wicklow Way of changes that need to be made so it may take some time.

Juju JayMay 20 2014, 4:33pmhey dude few people have been asking me do you think the 200 person limit will be reached for this race?
peace
Stephen BrennanMay 20 2014, 5:52pm@ Juju: It's hard to predict. Just over 200 did Djouce last week. Might depend on weather forecast.

We will allocate places on a first come first served basis until the quota fills up. There is nothing to stop anyone turned away from running although they won't be part of the race and we won't know if they get lost. I would ask anyone that runs unofficially to please not run through the finish chute as this will interfere with the recording of results.

Roles and instructions for volunteers:

I would like all volunteers to arrive by 6:30 unless we've already discussed a different time.

Mike Jordan - mark course

Greg Byrne, Juju Jay, Paul Daly - initial setup of tables, gazebo other equipment

Bronagh Cheetham, Julie Harkin, Mike Gomm - car parking

Paul Mahon, Sean Dunne, Sorcha Griffith and Fergie Mohan - registration

Hilary Jenkinson - collect the juniors at the car park at 7:15 and bring them to the junior start location, the corner of the forest. Remain there as marshal until the main field passes by on its way RIGHT towards the wall.

Michael Heatly - marshal at the corner of the forest and wall to make sure that no one cuts the corner inadvertently (or otherwise).

Laurence Colleran - direct traffic at the gap in the wall on the ridge - de mark ascent

Paul Daly - summit marshal and photographer. Smile! - de mark main descent

Juju Jay - direct field RIGHT at the top of lane near the race start - take photos at the LEFT turn on the descent and make sure no one takes the trail down to Laragh

Ronan Hickey and Sean Healy - finishing chute, manually record the finishers as a backup to the laptop

Anne Hodge, Bernard Crampton - number collection, sorting and filing

Donal Troddyn - laptop operator - make sure to get laptop from Pol O'Murchu - show AT Kelly the ropes

Keith Mulvey - first aid - give kit to Juju Jay for Rene Borg for the WWR

All - help with pack up at the finish if you haven't another job, so we're in the pub asap :)

It does without saying that I really appreciate your help. If any of the experienced race directors out there see that I've forgotten something, please let me know.

Niall LynchMay 21 2014, 9:15amHi Stephen,

If you need another helper I'm available. I won't be running this race, so if you can think of any other job you need help with, let me know.

Niall.
Stephen BrennanMay 21 2014, 11:32amThanks Niall.

Can you please help with the car parking and finishing chute.

Everyone, I have enough volunteers now. However, I see that Brendan is still light for next week's race, so please lend a hand if you can.
Jean O'NeillMay 21 2014, 11:41amTo Damien Cronin-re car pool. I am in Raheny,Damien, next door to Donaghmede. 086 nought55 95 nought 9. Can we meet somewhere here? Thanks.
Brendan LawlorMay 21 2014, 4:18pmLeaving Roundwood (CoachHouse) at 6.00pm if any volunteers want to carpool
Pól Ó MurchúMay 21 2014, 10:23pmWell Done Stephen - Great Race.

****PROVISIONAL RESULTS UP********
Any errors or amendments to be made please let me know.
Please e-mail me at pol.omurchu(at)imra.ie with Subject "SCARR RESULTS" rather than posting on forum as I don't always see things on the forum.
Thank you.
Pol
Mick HanneyMay 21 2014, 10:36pmWell done to Stephen who worked really hard behind the scenes to get this route ready for this race. It was a great event. Congratulations Stephen for a smooth running operation. Thanks to all the volunteers. Hope no one ended up in Crone tonight :-)
James H CahillMay 21 2014, 11:15pmFantastic race and new route today. Well done Stephen and all your able assistants on a excellently organised, marshaled and run race. I know that lots of pre-race work went into this race as it was a new route and it really paid off. A speedy recovery to Bronagh and any others who took tumbles on the hill.
Bronagh cheetham May 22 2014, 7:26amSuper race...and super organised...was really enjoying the fast decent till I got over ambitious!! I'm fine thanks...nothing broken just nasty wrist sprain and few bumps n bruises. Thank everyone that assisted...esp those giving up their race...James in particular and maike for loosing so many polaces while having a great run before that...sorry !big thanks to Michael and lads for getting me yo vhi swifcare! till next week..here's hoping.

Pol can u update my results to last place so I'm not DNF...might need the race for league end. Tks
John CondonMay 22 2014, 8:04amI'd just like to add my thanks to Stephen and the rest of the volunteers for a fantastic race last night.
Stephen BrennanMay 22 2014, 8:09amGlad you checked out ok, Bronagh. You must have been going really well yourself when you tripped. See you back racing soon. Stephen
Maike JürgensMay 22 2014, 9:51amBronagh, glad to hear you are fine and nothing is broken. It did look like a pretty horrific fall from right behind you. Get well soon.
Warren SwordsMay 22 2014, 10:46amGreat race last night. Well done to all concerned. That was a tough climb.
Caitlín BentMay 22 2014, 1:05pmGo raibh maith agat Stephen for the hard work you so obviously put into last nights race.
and not a midge in sight!
Ruairí ShortMay 22 2014, 3:39pmAre all the times for the race a bit fast?
My time is about 5 minutes faster than I had on my watch. I'm pretty sure Conor said he was 38 minutes after the race yesterday and Colm Moran reckons he was me he was 41:37 (http://attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_5815), all about 5 minutes slower than the times on the results.

Ruairi
Angus TynerMay 22 2014, 4:02pmI've emailed Pol, who has the laptop about the 5 min discrepancy. I expect this to be corrected along with other issues.

Jim FitzharrisMay 22 2014, 5:11pmMany thanks to Stephen and his team for organising such excellent weather for last night's race.

And oh, the event was brilliantly organised too!

Did anyone get a Garmin fix for distance and total elevation?

My own time was c. 5 mins slower than that indicated on the website.

Cheers,

Jim.
Ruth LynamMay 22 2014, 8:52pmThanks for a great race, a dream of a descent and the new route up was an improvement I think.
My garmin gave 8.0km with 420m climb. Also recorded my time as 59:36, as opposed to 54:45 in the results?
Pól Ó MurchúMay 22 2014, 11:02pmTimes are indeed.approx 4:50 faster. Laptop went to sleep and was awoken by the space bar - which coincidentally also resets the clock at the start of the race...doh! Not often I get so many people complaining that their times are faster. Usually it's "my time was 37:50 but the time on the website shows 37:51" lol I have to manually edit each result to fix this so will be a few days as I'm kinda busy over the next couple of days. Maybe Eoin might fix it while he's waiting for the rest of us to finish down in Clonegal on Saturday.
John J BarryMay 22 2014, 11:46pmPol,
It's a pointless task modifying 200 entries. It doesn't change positions, percentages or endurance points.
Same thing happened two years ago with Powerscourt and we just left it.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 22 2014, 11:59pmActually it does affect percentages :) ( x+5/y+5 != x/y ). Not sure about Enduro points.

If you open the database in "Edit mode", you can run a SQL update query to update the results all in one go. It's a little awkward though due to the way the database stores times. 34:38 gets stored as the decimal number 34.38 for example, so adding 4:50 would give you 34 mins and 88 seconds... You could have saved yourself so much work Pol if you had said the difference was 5 mins rounded off, but you just don't think, do you ;-)

I'll see if I can put a query together and send it on. Make sure you have a backup copy of the database before running it!
Paul O'ConnorMay 23 2014, 8:39amHi,

Emailed Pol in relation to this but just wondering if anyone would know if Andreas Kusch ran?

I registered for membership online the day before the run (got number 2044) and am not listed in the results. Pretty certain I came in just behind Runner number 622 (Therese Hanley). Have a feeling that Andreas Kusch is listed in error but I am sure someone on here will know if he ran.

John MurphyMay 23 2014, 9:22amI think that there might still be an early starter or two high up the results list by mistake.

I think that the early start is a really great idea for those who need it. It makes sure everyone gets back in good time and it encourages people to keep coming to our events. However, I suspect that some people who don't need it are setting off early for whatever reason. It should really be reserved for those with an expected X% of winner's time. Having many more early starters than necessary is a pain for organisers and results people, especially when not all early starters have declared it before the run. If someone is listed as having finished Scarr in just over 40 mins but was really an early starter then he/she would have been comfortably in the field at 70 mins without the need for an early start.
Eoin KeithMay 23 2014, 9:37amI ran a query on the live results data last night to update the times directly. The percentages and points were updated a little later.
Brendan LawlorMay 23 2014, 9:40amPol amends the times - takes several days
Eoin amends the times - takes 15 minutes

Says it all really !! ;)

Good luck to you both tomorrow
John LangenbachMay 23 2014, 3:27pmNot sure that comparison is fair to Pol. Pol is doing a fabulous job of getting the results up early after each race and diligently attending to the updates. (Eoin's doing a great job as Webmaster too - before I get myself in trouble).

Andreas did run. I didn't see him but I heard his "keep going John" greeting as we passed each other near the top. Traditionally his encouraging greeting comes as he overtakes me as I get tired towards the end, but this week he was still going the other direction. I was descending and paying too much attention to the ground to be polite!. Paul just needs to be slotted in to the results.

Thanks to Stephen and team for another great race!
Brendan LawlorMay 23 2014, 5:03pmHi John

I'm only pulling Pol's leg - he's doing a great job!
Pól Ó MurchúMay 25 2014, 7:40amI'm very offended BRENDAN... :-( that's my sad face. Brendan Lawlor behave or you'll be getting a DNF :-) Will hopefully get to the rest do results later today. Was busy running Wicklow way yesterday, work thing Thursday and grabbing a quick 2 hour sleep on Friday.before WW.
Brendan LawlorMay 26 2014, 4:46pmThere was €304 collected at the car park at Scarr. As requested by Nicky and Brian Gaffney this money has been donated to the two Mountain Rescue teams operating in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains. Thank you to all
Alexey RashevskiyMay 27 2014, 1:22amFair play!

BTW any update on photos? I've seen photographer on the top ;)

Pol, as you're here in the topic just wanted to check with you if we can fix my account? I've sent you an email last week.
Cheers!
Stephen BrennanMay 27 2014, 7:18pmThe photos are on FB
Paul O'ConnorMay 29 2014, 1:05pmSome great photos from the Scarr race on FB. Would be nice to see these uploaded to this website too for posterity!
Sam ScrivenJul 18 2014, 11:46pmOnly noticed it today, but some fabulous photos up now from Paul Daly. Good job!