Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Ultra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Niall O'CallaghanJan 9 2014, 6:45pmHi - I am hoping to do the Wicklow Way Ultra and I was wondering if I need to be able to navigate? Is the course marked? Are there any groups doing training runs over the route or part of, over the next few weeks?

Regards
Niall.
Conor MurphyJan 9 2014, 9:38pmOutstanding!

Asked pretty much the same thing earlier, turned out I was on a thread about some other ultra race in Wicklow in May. You have saved me typing out the same post again!

Can navigate, though with map and compass, don't have GPS. Wondering if recce advisable.

Richard NunanJan 9 2014, 9:48pmHi Folks,

The "wicklow way" is marked by the yellow men on black posts and pretty straight forward.
On the day it may be marked on areas where there may be ambiguity due to Coilte works. There has been work around the areas between lough Tay and Ballinastoe in previous years.

If you are doing the ultra it would be good to recce the route from Johnny Foxes to Ballinastoe - generally their is enough Trail runners on the way back to avoid going wrong. Unless you are John Steed, Paul Tierney, Eoin keith standard :-)
Nigel ShekletonJan 12 2014, 2:17pmHi folks,

Myself and a couple of folks are contemplating coming across from Edinburgh for this race. I'm quite familiar with the route, having cycled along it for many a year. Running a race on it has been on my To Do list for quite a while!

I'm aware we would have to join the IMRA, which is fine, of course. What I'd like to know is whether we need to sign up for the race in advance, or do we just sign up on the day? I understand there is some kind of race credit system.

Cheers,
Nigel
John J BarryJan 12 2014, 7:14pmNigel,

This forum is the 51km out and back race in March. There is also a 127km race along the whole Wicklow way in May.

The ultra entry is on the day. The WW race will be pre entry later in the spring / early summer.
Aidan RoeJan 13 2014, 5:57pm@Nigel
You can sign up on the day.
A
Richard NunanJan 13 2014, 7:30pmHi Folks

Both Wicklow Way Ultra and Wicklow Way trail will be by Online Entry only this year.

Online Entry will be available at the end of January.
Mark KingJan 13 2014, 8:14pmRichard,

Will NIMRA members be offered the same online race fee's as IMRA runners?
Eamon Horkan Jan 29 2014, 11:45amHi , When is registration available for the Wicklow Way Ultra , i believe it is online and was to be opened at the end of this month . Anybody got suggestions ?

Eamonn
graham clarkeJan 31 2014, 8:20amhi,
has anyone got an elevation profile of the ultra route - can't seem to come across one?
Thanks

Graham
John CondonJan 31 2014, 9:57amHi Graham

Link

http://connect.garmin.com/course/3021398
Mark KingFeb 9 2014, 4:34pmRichard, there are number of NIMRA members hoping to travel down for the WWU - Not all are IMRA registered. Can we enter on the day or do we need to register with IMRA and enter online?
Richard NunanFeb 9 2014, 4:54pmHi Mark,

Are you guys travelling in one bus, we would like to come to an arrangement for those travelling by bus. So if this is to happen can someone get in touch so that we can organise it.

Thanks
Mark KingFeb 9 2014, 11:33pmRichard, I am driving down with 4 in the car, however, I am aware that Kevin Murdock is also taking a car down. Please advise what details you require and I will furnish same. Thanks.
graham clarkeFeb 10 2014, 7:13amhi guys,

where do I find the online entry for this?

Thanks

Grahm
Kieran RiceFeb 10 2014, 3:49pmHi,

Where do I find the online entry?

Thanks
Gareth LittleFeb 11 2014, 3:49pm
Dermot, any chance you can finish this race outside Johnny Fox's? ;)

It's always nice to sit outside the pub and watch all the finishers.
Dermot MurphyFeb 11 2014, 8:13pmHi Gareth - no, its simply too dangerous with the lights at the junction now - I am not prepared to take responsibility for it.
Mark KingFeb 12 2014, 9:29pmDermot, Despite previous requests (regarding registration for NIMRA members) I am no further forward. Consequently, I have paid for my 2014 IMRA membership in the expectation that I could then register for the WWU. Disappointingly, I still do not seem to be able to enter. Will someone please advise are NIMRA members expected to be registered for IMRA races? If this is the case please advise.Thanks.
Richard NunanFeb 12 2014, 10:06pmHi Mark,

We are a voluntary organisation so not always providing answers to people in a time that is agreeable to them. We can however be contacted via email, our addresses are available on the Contact page. This ensures a more efficient response.

This year for the first time we will be taking registrations for IMRA members to enter the Wicklow Ultra online ONLY. This will be available at the end of February.

If you email me the 4 NIMRA members I can make a provision to have them registered. They can pay the entry fee on the day.

This enables us to waive the IMRA membership fee for NIMRA members as we have done in previous years.
Mark KingFeb 12 2014, 11:28pmRichard, I appreciate your post, I will be in contact in due course. Kind Regards. Mark K.
Dermot MurphyFeb 17 2014, 9:03pmI am looking for volunteers for both the Trail and Ultra race - can people put their name down as soon as they feel they are able to commit to help?
Dave SwoishFeb 19 2014, 5:41pmDo you have 'aid stations' at this race? If so, at what distances are they located? Thanks!
Dermot MurphyFeb 19 2014, 8:08pmDave, we plan to have aid stations at Crone Wood (about 12k in), the half way point at Ballinastoe woods, Crone wood again on the way back and at Curtlestown, which is 5k past Crone wood.

As mentioned on my earlier post, I need volunteers to come come forward, and the aid stations at Crone wood and Curtlestown will be dependent on volunteers.
Eleanor O'NeillFeb 21 2014, 7:29pmHi, sorry I found where to renew membership online, but not where to enter for the WW ultra? Many thanks Elle
Richard NunanFeb 24 2014, 10:12am@ Elle,

Once you register with MYIMRA,there will be an option for the Wicklow Way Trail,
and Ultra available at the end of this week. It will appear instead of the "Purchase Ticket for Annual Social"

@ Dave,

Just a comment on Food - Drinks for the Ultra. There could be water at Aid Stations Crone but I wouldn't rely on it. You should be self sufficient.

Its better that you turn up with your food in two separate drop bags clearly identifiable by your self. These should be labeled
1.) Crone
2.) Ballinastoe

Crone is 12km going out or 38km on way back.
Ballinastoe is the halfway mark.
Elle O'NeillFeb 25 2014, 5:04pmThanks very much for that.
graham clarkeFeb 27 2014, 8:29pmRichard - on the drop bags - will these be able to be collected at the finish or should we assume they are disposable - just thinking about gear changes for weather if necessary?
Richard NunanFeb 28 2014, 8:53amHi Graham,

Normally would be disposable, mandatory carried gear should cover the gear changes. But if you needed something brought back a marshal may kindly accommodate.
graham clarkeFeb 28 2014, 8:30pmThanks again Richard
Paddy DariganMar 2 2014, 9:13pmdoes the Ultra divert from the Wicklow Way as it near's Ballinastoe? and if it does will this junction be marked?
Richard NunanMar 3 2014, 4:17pmHi Paddy,

The Ultra diverts from the Wicklow Way at lough tay - its a left turn as you descend off the boardwalk where the railing is, then a right and then left at the style (that you don't have to walk over) down into Ballinastoe. It was marked last year, should be marked again this year
Christian NachtigallMar 3 2014, 11:44pmHi, Richard Nunnan

I emailed you about registration yesterday, but Im not sure if you have received it.
I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and Im driving down on the day for the race. I believe it would make more sense for me if I pay for the NIMRA membership as Im based in the North. Could you accept this message or the email I sent you yesterday as my registration for the race and I can pay the entry fee on the day?

Cheers
Christian
juju jayMar 4 2014, 12:34amHey! Am hoping to do the ultra this year all pending if my injuies will be kind of or all healed up ive not ran in over 5weeks now but am asking if its ok to do the early start as am not sure how my speed will be etc.... is anyone doing early start???
Peace
Graham ColmerMar 4 2014, 9:31amAnyone know what the conditions are like at the moment ? any snow ?! Really excited for this again no matter what the weather is like !
Damien McSharryMar 4 2014, 11:48amHow do I enter this race. When I try to register I keep getting the following message: 'We're sorry. There has been an error in your application. Your session may have expired. Please try registering again'.
Richard NunanMar 4 2014, 4:02pmHi Damien,

Make sure you use the same browser to verify the link as you did to register. Try using a desktop browser if you're using a mobile and it's giving you trouble.
Will Martin-SmithMar 4 2014, 4:51pmHi Graham, I was up on Djouce on Saturday - there was a good bit of snow at the top but there was only slush left on the rocky path around the side of the mountain. The boardwalk and grassy path down towards the Dargle were clear and conditions were pretty good. I bit slippy but surprisingly good overall. No snow at all on Prince William's Seat. I'd love to be able to say I'm disappointed that conditions look a lot easier than last year's seemed to be, but I'd just be lying!
Johan DehantschutterMar 5 2014, 1:55pmJust notice the following sentence in the "Details" section of the Wicklow Way Ultra: "Online Registration will close when the limit of 100 runners is reached". Is registration really limited to 100 runners? Why? Last year there were over 130 people taking part..
Dermot MurphyMar 5 2014, 2:17pmLimit is 100 for the Ultra and 200 for the Trail. This is about as much as the two events can take. Despite the bad conditions last year, we exceeded this limit on the Ultra and had a lot of problems as a result. 1) Parking - unfortunately the race clashed with a funeral last year which caused major problems with parking - we cannot allow this to happen again. 2) The was a big drop out rate on the Ultra at Half way - largely caused by the cold. This caused us problems year to get these people back to the start. This was a serious problem last year and again, cannot happen again. This is been addressed this year by arranging one of the busses from the Trail race to bring any dropouts back to the start and also by limiting numbers. 3) We have a shortage on non running volunteers for this event (I would like more marshals on the course and people to help out at the finish).
These are the limits I recommended to the IMRA committee as a results of the problems last year - we will need see how this years event goes to see if we can up these limits in future years.
Colum McKeownMar 5 2014, 2:22pmHi,

If you're stuck for non-running volunteers I can help out.

Colum
Dermot MurphyMar 5 2014, 2:26pmThanks Colum, the more volunteers we can get, all the better.
sean burkeMar 6 2014, 11:19pmHi Dermot,

It appears I may have skewed the entry numbers. I think I hit the pay button a second time and entered twice.

Regards,

Sean.
william toomesMar 9 2014, 9:27amHi I have tried to register to enter this race I can get to the end then I recieve a message error in application ??? will you accept any other form of entry as I dont want to miss entry due to limits being reached
Regards
William toomes
Thomas MooreMar 9 2014, 1:27pmI'm having same problem trying to register for the trail
richard leahyMar 10 2014, 4:05pmI had the same problem registering as indicated by a few others - I kept getting an error message. I was registering via chrome on my desktop at work, but verifying the link via chrome on my android phone. Based on Richard Nunan's suggestion I registered and verified via a Safari desktop browser and it worked first time.
Jean O'NeillMar 12 2014, 1:09amDermot I will happily be a non running volunteer. I previously helped at drinks station at Curtlestown, but am happy to do whatever you need.
Dermot MurphyMar 12 2014, 8:44amThanks Jean - will put your name down.
Dermot MurphyMar 12 2014, 11:13amJust copying across from the Ultra thread -
Can any runners coming down from Northern Ireland please contact Frank (McKenna)? Please get in touch with him, even if you do not intend on taking the bus he is organising from Newry.
Conor MurphyMar 12 2014, 12:02pmThat's me signed up, so no going back now!

Most I ran in training was 35km and about 800m ascent, so will be "interesting" to see how I fare beyond that.

Staying in Dundrum so my wife can go on a spree while I'm otherwise occupied. If anyone around there can give me a spin out in the morning that would be great, save her the need to drop me out. She can collect later.
Mark KingMar 12 2014, 4:27pmDermot,
I, along with several other NIMRA are travelling down from NI for the WWU. We have no idea who Frank McKenna is nor how to contact him. I have already been in direct contact with Richard regarding the race and trust that this is sufficient. Regards.
Mark K.
Donagh McGrathMar 12 2014, 9:00pmI feel like a child on a very high diving board! I'm really looking forward to this but I've no idea what to expect beyond 30km of mountain running.
Are the finishing times for previous running of the 52k version WWU available anywhere?
Ive done distance before but this is my first IMRA ultra - I've not done a "mountain" 50k before. I can usually gauge a rough pace indicator from previous results of any race ....ie. take Eoin Keith's time and add the first massive number that comes to mind or (more realistically) pick a time about halfway down the field.
Otherwise - I did the Donadea 50km in 3:53 - anyone an idea is that roughly 5:30 or more or less to aim for.
Thanks (an IMRA new boy)
Mick HanneyMar 12 2014, 9:13pmOn the IMRA home page, click events. Default is current year. You can select another year, say 2012 (as last year was snow affected), and select the ultra event to see the results.
Clare KeeleyMar 12 2014, 10:31pmHi Donagh, I am in the exact same as you! Have covered the distance(Connamara ultra last year) and generally have my set pace for the road races and can give pretty accurate times for finishing but I really have no idea for this which is kinda the fun part of it! Main thing on the day...run and enjoy! good luck. Clare
James McNallyMar 13 2014, 9:40pmI done my IMRA 2014 reg and entry for Wicklow way ultra at same time and got
a race number for 2014 but no reply to say that I was successfully entered for WWUv race. can somebody verify or is there somewhere on myimra I can check to made sure my entry was accepted. im coming down from Newry and don't want any problems when I arrive to do the race. let me know ,Thanks
william toomesMar 14 2014, 9:09pmHi still not able to register is there still a problem with the site ?? I keep recieving the following message 'registration error' ???
Graham ClarkeMar 16 2014, 8:17pmHi,

I'm new to IMRA races and just wondering what the process is for the morning of the ultra? What time is it necessary to be there? What is needed to register etc?

Thanks

Graham
Richard NunanMar 16 2014, 8:29pmHi Graham,

Just show up on the day - sign in, and collect your race number.

Last year registration opened at 8:00am, if you are an early start you need to be there early, as race start is at 8:30am.

Else you can register at 8:30.

Keep an eye on the forum for Final instructions from the Race Director - Dermot

Regards

Richard
Noel GuilfoyleMar 18 2014, 10:52amIs registration at Johnnie Foxes?
Dermot MurphyMar 18 2014, 11:36amNoel - yes, at Johnie Foxes. Please use the overflow car park, the car park next to the pub is not to be used.
Also - please keep an eye on the forum for updates later in the week.
Mick HanneyMar 18 2014, 12:48pmIf possible people should try carpool to Johnny foxes as parking is limited for the numbers of runners taking part in both events.
Vasiliy NeumerzhitskiyMar 18 2014, 3:03pmHave you enters race day?
Dermot MurphyMar 18 2014, 10:18pmVasily - no entries on race day. Please see other note on the forum for a full list of entries.
Graham ClarkeMar 19 2014, 7:07amHi,
has anyone been up this way the last few days - just wondering what the conditions are like? Any recommendations for shoe choice?
Thanks
Graham
Dermot MurphyMar 19 2014, 12:55pmUnless I have said anything different to anyone, volunteers for the Ultra should be there for 7:45am.
If you need to contact me, my number is zero87 744five475.
Colum McKeownMar 19 2014, 1:20pmHi Dermot,

Where are the volunteers meeting? Anyone volunteering who's driving through the city have a free space?

Cheers

Colum
Dermot MurphyMar 19 2014, 1:31pmJohnnie Foxes is the meeting point.
Donagh McGrathMar 19 2014, 3:20pmGraham I ran the Crone to Ballinastoe section on Monday and it was bone-dry. You'd get away with whatever shoes you have (road-shoes would do fine) if it stayed like that tho the forecast says rain tomorrow night.
That said - if you had trail shoes I'd wear them anyway and either way I wouldn't be getting new shoes now!
Slawek GlazMar 19 2014, 4:01pmHi there. Where can I find a list of participants in the Wicklow Ultra? I paid online.
Dermot MurphyMar 19 2014, 8:01pmSlawek, I can confirm you are entered - I am just working on registrations at the moment.

There is a full list on a separate Thread on the forum started by Richard Nunan - Confirmed Wicklow Way Ultra list.
Dermot MurphyMar 19 2014, 9:40pmRace Briefing:
1) Pre-entry only for this race - if you are not on the list, you cannot run in the race.
2) Route is strictly on the Wicklow Way. Please did not use any short-cuts ie cutting out zig-zags etc - this will be considered cheating and will result in disqualification. Safety point - runners might consider running in groups, especially if you are unfamiliar with route. See who is at a similar pace.
3) Mandatory kit requirement - this will be STRICTLY enforced. Mobile phones are not mandatory but are recommended.
4) Please note the cut off times at Ballinastoe (1pm), Crone wood (2:45pm) and Curtlestown (3:30pm) - please cooperate with the marshals if you do not reach the cut off in time.
5) Strictly no littering - please leave any litter at the water stations or bring it with you.
6) Dont forget to have your number visible/at hand at the finish so your time can be recorded. Also dont forget to pick up your mug!
7) Strictly no headphones on this race - if you see anyone with them on, dont be shy about telling them to take them off.
8) No parking at the GAA club at race finish - the car park is closed there as they are extending the club house.
I will repost this on Friday, and these notes will be read out at the start of the race.
Petra TolarovaMar 19 2014, 10:23pmHi, is there anyone from the volunteers who can give me a lift? I'm based in Dublin city centre, but can meet you anywhere in Dublin.
Thank you, Petra
Conor MurphyMar 20 2014, 9:51am

Anyone heading for turn around at 3 hours? No idea of pacing myself, don't have a Garmin, want to hijack someone else's hard work! Don't even know if that will be too fast or too slow for me to face into second leg, it's just a target in my own head, but very much trial and error.
Frank McKennaMar 20 2014, 11:32amHello Ultra Runners from North.

We have a bus leaving Newry at 06h45-06h50 for the Ultra, then heading over to the Trail for the start.

Leaving Jonny's around 18h00 back to Newry.

If you need a seat, call / SMS me with details

Frank 07766160238
Thierry DussuetMar 20 2014, 4:49pmHey everybody,

Is anybody interested in eating together in Dublin on Friday evening before the race? :)

Cheers,

Thierry
+41seven881three6451
Thierry DussuetMar 20 2014, 4:50pmHey everybody,

Is anybody interested in eating together in Dublin on Friday evening before the race? :)

Cheers,

Thierry
+41seven881three6451
Thierry DussuetMar 20 2014, 4:50pmHey everybody,

Is anybody interested in eating together in Dublin on Friday evening before the race?

Cheers,

Thierry
0041seven881three6451
Conor MurphyMar 20 2014, 5:33pmThierry...

Sounds like a good plan but I won't be eating in Dublin Friday as (i) I will arrive there too late and (ii) my wife is travelling to Dublin so I can go for the run on Saturday, she has no interest in it, if I said we're going for a meal Friday to meet other runners and discuss the same run she might be unimpressed!
Niall O'CallaghanMar 20 2014, 6:22pmUnfortunately I am unable to make it to Wicklow on Saturday for the race, so I am not sure how it works but if someone wants my place they are more than welcome to it!
Niall O'CallaghanMar 20 2014, 6:22pmUnfortunately I am unable to make it to Wicklow on Saturday for the race, so I am not sure how it works but if someone wants my place they are more than welcome to it!
Richard NunanMar 20 2014, 8:51pmNiall,

If you are not raceing can you let me know by email - I have a waiting list

Cheers

Richard
Richard NunanMar 20 2014, 8:52pmNiall,

Cheers

Richard
Richard NunanMar 20 2014, 9:17pmNiall,

Cheers

Richard
Grellan McGrathMar 20 2014, 10:29pmHi I am looking for an entry for the Ultra on Saturday. I ran it last year and registered and paid on the morning of the race. I was unaware that the rules had changed this year as I am not a frequent visitor to the IMRA website and only found out yesterday. Is there any chance I can race as the hotel is booked and I will be running the route in any event as the training is done.
Richard NunanMar 20 2014, 10:50pmJust to reiterate - everyone is being treated the same here.

You cannot enter this race on the day - IT IS PRE-ENTRY ONLY!!

Mark McGinnMar 21 2014, 8:59amHello Richard, regarding the mandatory kit - will a buff be sufficient as a the hat requirement.
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2014, 9:40amMark, you must have the mandatory kit with you, and a Buff is not a hat. You have always have the option of wearing the buff and carrying the hat.
I will be strict on the mandatory kit - it will be cold tomorrow and testing on exposed parts of the course. The mandatory kit is for everyone's safety, not a challenge to be overcome.
Johan DehantschutterMar 21 2014, 9:44amHi, just wondering if there will be an early-ish start at 9am, in addition to the early start at 8:30, just like in previous years?
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2014, 9:47amJohan - no - early start at 8:30am for those who feel they will need it to meet the cut off times - everyone else should go at 9:30am. Please do not start at any other time!
Andrew HayesMar 21 2014, 10:13amHi Dermot,
Not sure if you are managing a waiting list but due to injury and a late call to listen to the body i am going to have to pull out of tomorrows event even though it kills me! Do you wish to pass my entry on?
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2014, 12:09pmAndrew, from the Trail thread - how to transfer your number:

You can organise a transfer if someone cannot run (a few people are asking for this).
For person dropping out: If you can pass on your entry acceptance email to your replacement, and then you will just need to organise the race entry (€15) from them to you. If the person has not run for IMRA this year, they should realise they will need to pay the €10 registration fee on the day.
Transferee: You should also have a copy of your acceptance with you as well - and they should be set to go.
If you are not on the entry list and do not have the transfer mail, you cannot enter the race.
Niall CorriganMar 21 2014, 1:05pmHi

At last years ultra, drop bags were returned to the car park at Jonnie Foxes. Is this the case again this year.

Many thanks

Niall
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2014, 1:27pmNiall, drop bags should only contain things that you will expect to be disposed. The bags may be returned to JF's, but don't be expecting it. Please check instead the gate of the overflow car park before you leave, anything left here and not picked up will be thrown out.
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2014, 1:49pmReprinting the briefing notes from earlier. Due to the forecasted weather conditions tomorrow, the mandatory equipment will be strictly enforced - you will be considering out of the race if you do not have them at any time.
Race Briefing:
1) Pre-entry only for this race - if you are not on the list, you cannot run in the race.
2) Route is strictly on the Wicklow Way. Please did not use any short-cuts ie cutting out zig-zags etc - this will be considered cheating and will result in disqualification. Safety point - runners might consider running in groups, especially if you are unfamiliar with route. See who is at a similar pace.
3) Mandatory kit requirement - this will be STRICTLY enforced. Mobile phones are not mandatory but are recommended.
4) Please note the cut off times at Ballinastoe (1pm), Crone wood (2:45pm) and Curtlestown (3:30pm) - please cooperate with the marshals if you do not reach the cut off in time.
5) Strictly no littering - please leave any litter at the water stations or bring it with you.
6) Dont forget to have your number visible/at hand at the finish so your time can be recorded. Please leave back your race number and dont forget to pick up your mug!
7) Strictly no headphones on this race - if you see anyone with them on, dont be shy about telling them to take them off.
8) No parking at the GAA club at race finish - the car park is closed there as they are extending the club house.
william toomesMar 21 2014, 6:47pmHi I notice from a mail today you are now operating a waiting list for the ultra I posted a query on this issue a number of days ago am I on the list if yes whats the chance of an entry ?
Regards
William Toomes
Richard NunanMar 21 2014, 7:12pmHi William,

Your timing is good - Frankie Rea - has just withdraw due to flu

I will inform Dermot. You are pre-registered.

Keith LANEMar 21 2014, 7:35pmHey,
I had spent a number of days earlier in the week trying to register for the Wicklow way ultra tomorrow but your website seemed to have a problem and I could not register.
I was wondering if there is registration tomorrow or are there any places available through cancellations that I could use?
Kind regards,

Keith
Alan DuffyMar 21 2014, 8:09pmHi there,
I had spent a number of days earlier in the week trying to register for the Wicklow way ultra tomorrow but your website problems by the looks of things and I could not register.
I was wondering if there is registration tomorrow or are there any places available through cancellations ?? Thanks for any help.
Kind regards,

Alan
Richard NunanMar 21 2014, 8:18pmHi Folks,

The Wicklow Ultra Online registration Closed on Sunday.

We are full to capacity with a waiting list of 3 people. At this time I don't have any further cancellations.

We are 12 hours from the early start time !! Unfortunately I don't forsee any further cancellations/Pre-Entries being accommodated.

WE ARE NOW CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Richard

John CondonMar 22 2014, 3:01pmHi. Thanks all for organising today. Took a bad sprain coming down Prince Williams Seat. So I had to drop out. I want to send a big thank you to Mary, Fiona and Diarmuid at Crone for looking after me.
I left my iPhone behind me there. If you can let me know how I can collect it from you it would be great.

Mark KingMar 23 2014, 11:24amDermot,
Congratulations on yesterdays event. It was a great success. I was speaking with several NIMRA runners post the event and everyone had only positive comments. Many thanks to you and all of those who helped. Richard - thanks for co-ordinating the entries for the NIMRA runners.
Mark King.
Richard NunanMar 23 2014, 8:44pmWell done to all those who ran the Wicklow Ultra yesterday in testing conditions.

Congratulations to Mens winners

1st Place Justin Maxwell
2nd Place Paul Tierney
3rd Place Eoin Lennon

Congratulations to ladies winners

1st Place Donna McLoughlin
2nd Place Taryn McCoy
3rd Place Denise Mathers
Will Martin-SmithMar 23 2014, 8:44pmHi Dermot, If you get a chance could you check my time please? I'm listed as finishing in 407 minutes in 88th place. My number was 1831.

By my watch I finished in about 5hours 46 minutes( 346 minutes). I know I finished quite close behind Jarleth Hynes (as I was with him till he left me for dead on Prince William's Seat)

Thank you for all the hard work yesterday. Great organization and effort as usual. Thanks to all the volunteers. Another top quality day in the mountains with IMRA!
James H CahillMar 23 2014, 10:16pmRace report up - almost as long as the race itself
James H CahillMar 23 2014, 10:16pmRace report up - almost as long as the race itself
Jarlath HynesMar 23 2014, 10:33pmFirstly a huge thanks to Dermot & all the crew who made this event possible. It was another great day on the hills and the weather (as usual, wind this year) added to the challenge.

Secondly well done to all who took part (Trail & Ultra), the atmosphere & banter en route was super.
Also well done to Will Martin Smith on his first time covering marathon distance, never mind 50k.
(re above post, his posted finish time didn't make sense to me, he could only have been a couple of minutes behind me at finish)
Will Martin-SmithMar 23 2014, 10:56pmThanks Jarlath! Also I appreciate you backing up my claim to get bumped up the results sheet! It's nice to be sure I wasn't in a time warp of pain coming up the hill to the road at the end!
Will Martin-SmithMar 23 2014, 11:09pmThanks Jarlath! Also I appreciate you backing up my claim to get bumped up the results sheet! It's nice to be sure I wasn't in a time warp of pain coming up the hill to the road at the end!
Thomas KlimasMar 24 2014, 7:14amThank you Dermot and all crew for great event. But I'm not on results list. Ultra runner bid 1942 finished about 4h 50min
Dermot MurphyMar 24 2014, 9:08amI will fix up the results over the next couple of days. I am aware of a few more that need to be updated - we will reload the correct results on the IMRA site later in the week when we have all the corrections in. If anyone sees anything else wrong, please let us know.
Many thanks to all who helped out on the day - we had JuJu. Petra, Mick, Colm and Ken on registration and finish, Derek and Mick Kellet coordinating car parking, Lindie and Santina at Ballinstoe, Mary and Diarmuid at Crone wood, Vivian at Crone wood - plus a number of others who pitched in when required. Without the help of the volunteers, the race could not go ahead.
Well done to all who took part - changeable and testing conditions on the day!
Dermot MurphyMar 24 2014, 9:36amGreat race report James! Did you cover your feet in Vaseline at the start? It may have helped. I have had trouble with blisters myself in recent years and Vaseline is the best defense.
I saw John at Ballinastoe and thought he would need to pull out at that stage - a great effort to finish. Hopefully there will be no lasting damage.
If anyone else has a race report they wish to add, please feel free to add. If you have any trouble adding the report - just send it on to me and I will add it for you.
Colclough JohnMar 24 2014, 11:57amHi Dermot -will try to post here again - unsuccessful last time ( looking for captcha fields)
Knee is ok - had all the stitches in .Thanks for a great race .Really enjoyed it ( despite fall) .Atmosphere on course with runners and marshals was fab .Amazing thing adrenaline .I wish you could buy it off the shelf.
Congrats again and well done with organisation.Finally many thanks to runner who picked me up from the sleepers who I then didnt recognise later on in race !!!
John
James H CahillMar 24 2014, 12:02pmDermot thank you and all the volunteer marshals, first aiders, aid stationers, photographers for a great race and day in the hills. I never suffered from blisters before (and hopefully won't again).......but to be fair I also never ran a 50km race in brand new runners before. Lesson learned, should the scenario arise again liberal vaseline will be applied.
Paul CrokeMar 24 2014, 2:36pmHi guys, just checked the results there, i am listed as number 1924 Paul Croke. It says my time is 457 mins but i finished in 397 which i confirmed at race end. Its exactly 60 mins different. I left at race start at 9.30 not 8.30 maybe theres the mistake.. Thanks for another great day out and again one of the most enjoyable runs in the yearly calender. A great bunch.
Paul CrokeMar 24 2014, 2:36pmHi guys, just checked the results there, i am listed as number 1924 Paul Croke. It says my time is 457 mins but i finished in 397 which i confirmed at race end. Its exactly 60 mins different. I left at race start at 9.30 not 8.30 maybe theres the mistake.. Thanks for another great day out and again one of the most enjoyable runs in the yearly calender. A great bunch.
Paul CrokeMar 24 2014, 2:37pmSorry for multiple posts, getting server errors.
Declan O'DwyerMar 24 2014, 5:20pmAnother race report up. Nearly as long as James!
James H CahillMar 24 2014, 6:42pmGreat report Declan, I can identify where I was during the various weather patterns described. Well done on pushing through the cramps to finish - never easy
Dermot MurphyMar 24 2014, 8:16pmWill and Paul - the 8:30am box was ticked on the sign on sheet beside your name which is why your results were adjusted - I have these fixed up now. Its hard to communicate the correct instructions when there is a blizzard blowing around you!
Thomas, your result was overlooked but has been added now.
I was also made aware of a couple more results to be updated - mainly arising from the 8:30am box either ticked or not ticked in error.
All updates will be corrected on the IMRA results later in the week - any other changes, please let me know.
Dermot MurphyMar 28 2014, 8:48amReport from Clare Keeley just put up.

Just wanted to thank all the volunteers for helping out on the day - without whom the race could not take place. Many thanks to all who helped out at registration - Colm, Petra, JuJu, Richard and Brian, parking marshals - Derek and Mick Kellett, Padraig Doyle and Mick Hanney, marshals - Lindie and Santina at halfway, Henny at Lough Tay, Mary and Diarmuid O'Colmain at Crone Wood, and Vivian at Curtlestown, at the finish - JuJu, Petra, Ken, plus Lindie again! Also thanks to anyone else who helped out on the day and also Hilary for the mugs!
And well done to the race winners, Justin and Donna!
See you all next year!

Mick HanneyMar 28 2014, 9:42amSome great reports there, particularly Clare, well done guys.
Jim SchofieldMar 28 2014, 9:49amI ran the Ultra last Saturday and had a ball.

Many thanks to all concerned, I don't know your names yet but hopefully will over the coming months.

Many thanks again.