Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ticknock Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Peter O'FarrellJan 20 2014, 8:30amFair play to Sam Scriven and his very capable band of volunteers for a fantastic job of work on Howth. It was a great opener to the east coast season.

Ticknock registration and prize giving will be in Lamb Doyle's pub starting at 9.30am. The carpark is not very big so please carpool.

If Ticknock will be your first IMRA event of 2014 please register online for the season on the website beforehand. The laptop operators will appreciate it.

John Kelly and Greg Byrne are looking at possible new route options so the map of the race may change.

Thank you to all the volunteers who have already come forward.
Paul V MitchellJan 20 2014, 8:53amHi-
What footwear do people recommend for this race?
I wore a pair of Asics Enduro on the Howth run and they became really slippy once the grips filled up with mud.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/asics-gel-enduro-8-p213661
-Thanks
John J BarryJan 20 2014, 10:20pmInov8 Terroc or Mudroc are good aggressive trail running shoes which I find ideal for the mixed terrain of Leinster League. Winter League be similiar requirement.
Paul V MitchellJan 21 2014, 9:47amThanks John, I'll check them out.
John J BarryJan 21 2014, 10:50pmMy own Terroc's finally packed in after five years and approximately 75 races. I picked up a new pair the exact same only a month ago in 53 Degrees North.
Paul V MitchellJan 22 2014, 1:26pmI'm not finding Mudrocs for sale online.
Are these Mudclaws as good?
http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/inov-8-mudclaw-300.htm
Peter O'FarrellJan 22 2014, 1:39pmThank you to all who who have volunteered for this race, another couple of non running volunteers would be a great help.

Please register for the 2014 season on-line if Ticknock will be your first race of the season.

Thank you.

ps: Columbia Ravenous are perfect for the winter and summer leagues. The mudroc and the mudclaw are both too aggressive for the amount of fireroad you will encounter in many evening league races. If you have to go Inov8 you cannot beat the Roclite 315. Now enough with the shoes :)
Peter O'FarrellJan 23 2014, 9:22pmJohn Kelly has come up with a cracking route.
I will be recceing it on Saturday to get the exact distance/elevation if anyone wants to try before they buy.
10am at Lamb Doyles.
Paul O'GradyJan 23 2014, 9:50pmAny chance you can push this out by 15/20 mins and we can join you after the park run in Marlay park???
Peter O'FarrellJan 24 2014, 1:00pmHi Paul, I am sorry but 10am is the go time.

Calendar clashes hey?
Torben dahlJan 24 2014, 4:24pmPaul, I am also doing the parkrun in marlay tomorrow. I will join you for a ticknock run starting 10.15. Cheers.
Colum McKeownJan 24 2014, 4:54pm@Peter O'Farrell

I'm volunteering for the race so would be up for running the route tomorrow. See you at 10am.
Ger LawlorJan 24 2014, 5:06pmI will join you (Peter and Colum) for a ramble tomorrow. See you at 10am
Ger LawlorJan 24 2014, 5:07pmI will join you (Peter and Colum) for a ramble tomorrow. See you at 10am
Ken CowleyJan 25 2014, 8:56amI also plan to come up to Ticknock for a gander around the new route, but will be just after 10 (also planning to do the Marlay park run)
If we see you, we see you..
Route MasterJan 26 2014, 10:38pmhttp://connect.garmin.com/activity/435239347
John Kelly71Jan 27 2014, 8:09pmHi All

Just to let you know that the map is slightly different to the actual race route.

No need to be worried though as route will be fully marked.

Follow the markers and not the person in front of you!

John

Just to let you know that the map is slightly different to the actual race route.

John

John
Peter O'FarrellJan 29 2014, 9:58amWith thanks to Mick Hanney here is a map of the course, my apologies it was not up on the website earlier.
I finally persuaded John Kelly we had had enough improvements :)

As always, follow the tape.

https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/79175/
Meadhbh BolgerJan 30 2014, 10:25pmHi all. Just wondering if anyone knows somebody who will be driving to the race on Sunday from or through the Drumcondra area? Thanks, Meadhbh
Peter O'FarrellJan 30 2014, 10:41pmPlease have a rainjacket to bring on the run in case of poor weather, the decision on whether to bring it will be made on the day.
Please register for the 2014 year online before Saturday evening, this will greatly help with the workload of the laptop.
The ground underfoot will be very wet, please use trail shoes if you have them.

Paul O'GradyJan 30 2014, 11:39pmHi Meadhbh - I can collect you from Blackrock dart station if you can get to the dart.
Meadhbh BolgerFeb 1 2014, 9:27amHi Paul. Yeah that would be great as just found out buses don't run that early on a Sunday morning! There are darts that arrive at 9.10am, 9.42am and 10.16am......? Thanks so much
Paul O'GradyFeb 1 2014, 10:14amNo problem Maedhbh. 10.16 wouldn't get us there before Herr O'Farrell closes registration, so could you get the earlier one and I will collect you around 10am - I can also drop you back to the dart afterwards
Meadhbh BolgerFeb 1 2014, 1:20pmThanks Paul. It gets in at 9.42am so I'll see you whenever you get there!
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 1 2014, 6:20pmOnline registration will close at 9 this evening to enable uploading runners to database.
Felim MeadeFeb 1 2014, 11:39pmThis will be my 1st imra run how many people are expected?
Felim MeadeFeb 1 2014, 11:41pmThis will be my 1st imra run how many people are expected?
Aidan HurleyFeb 2 2014, 8:58amBit late but can offer lift to two from Fairview/East Wall.
Michael BligheFeb 2 2014, 1:16pmWhat a superb route - well done to all the organizers and volunteers.
Mick HanneyFeb 2 2014, 1:36pmSecond that! Well done Peter and crew. The route was a real challenge and showed the work that was put in to organise it.

Sorry I could hang around to chat after Peter. Talk to you during the week to learn lessons for my impending event. Thanks again.
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 2 2014, 1:49pmResults up now. Well done to Alan and Turlough on their excellent work with the laptop. Great race. Well done Peter.
Gareth LittleFeb 2 2014, 2:05pm
We'll done to Eamon Hodge who joined club 100 today!
Mark Foley76Feb 2 2014, 2:39pmWell done to all who organised this race, found it hard going there today but really enjoyed this course.
Dermot MurphyFeb 2 2014, 2:57pmMany thanks to Peter and all the volunteers for organising a very enjoyable race today - huge numbers turning again!
Stephen BailieFeb 2 2014, 3:13pmGuys I'm down as DNF and finished the race. I even heard my number being called out to laptop operator my number 1774
Des KennedyFeb 2 2014, 3:16pmThanks to Peter and all the volunteers for putting on a great race. A tough little route. The river running, caused by all the rain we've been having was interesting. Frustrated with my wrong turn but these things happen! Hope that's my one wrong turn a year out of my system now ;-)
Karl HeartyFeb 2 2014, 3:25pmGreat race. Very varied route. Tough challenge. The only small problem is that about 30-40 of us went the wrong way. We went down thru a small wood onto a path that went straight down. Luckily we headed back up to join the race. Not sure how or why we went wrong but it means I am having extra roast potatoes! :O)
Dermot MurphyFeb 2 2014, 4:18pmKarl, I think thats the same place were Des and a number of others went wrong - a couple of runners ahead were nearly making the same mistake - I spotted the tape further up the track and put them right. I think some of the tape here may have been removed - possible by some well meaning walkers who may not of realised a race was taking place - this the point is also near the car park, which we didnt use today.
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 2 2014, 4:54pmStephen I don't see you on either of the manual result sheets. Do you know where you finished or what time and I'll stick you in?
Ruary MartinFeb 2 2014, 6:31pmGreat race, if tough. Tks to organisers. Cant see my name in results?
Jerome DupuyFeb 2 2014, 6:59pmHi Guys. Thanks for another great tough race. I'm down as DNF and finished the race; very likely between Des Kennedy and Eoghan Carton . My number 1800. Thanks for the update. Jerome
Jarlath HynesFeb 2 2014, 7:09pmAs always thanks to organisers & volunteers, and the route was fantastic!

Also NR 174 Orla Kinsella down as DNF finished a few places behind Finish nr 184 (MM Nr 1617)

See you in Trooperstown (as volunteer)
Donnchadh CullinanFeb 2 2014, 8:33pmGreat race and route today - such variety. Was part of the gang that added at least 1.5km to the race by ploughing on straight downhill when we should have turned right (having too much fun!!). Important lesson learned - follow the tape and not the person in front. Well done again!!
Stephen BailieFeb 2 2014, 9:02pmPol I just seen some photos (thanks peter) up on site of myself with runners 20 and 61 that I came in just ahead of that group near the end and I had 66 mins 30 secs on my watch I was was also with the group of runners that had the wrong turn near the end. Steve
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 3 2014, 12:45amStephen fixed now, Jerome Fixed now, Orla fixed now. Ruary I can't find you on the manual results either. Anyone else let me know a time you finished in or if you were before/ after another runner and I can make that change. Any other errors or anything needing changing drop me a mail: pol.omurchu at imra.ie - for the right price you can even be first ;-)
Bronagh CheethamFeb 3 2014, 8:54amSuper route...loved it. thought I knew the area around there pretty well - proves not! well done to Peter for super organised race n set up. I was within the crowd of us sheep that obviously DIDNT follow the tape but enjoyed my extra run all the more! very impressed with spreadsheets and instructions issued to volunteers in advance of race Peter ;-)
Ruary MartinFeb 3 2014, 8:56amPol, my watch had it at 52:08. Thanks Ruary
Adrian HennessyFeb 3 2014, 9:03amSuper new route in Ticknock and great organisation by Peter and the team. Great turnout as well.
Brendan DohertyFeb 3 2014, 12:28pmHi Pol
Like others, I was a finiser with avery early start. My time was 93 minutes, and I was able to confim to Peter and John Kelly that the marking had been totally correct . I ran the entire route solo, and maybe that says something for the mantra of "not following people, but focussing soley on the taped route".
Thanks to all the volunteer crew on the day
Eamonn HodgeFeb 3 2014, 4:19pmExcellent race! Lots of ding-dong back and forth battles along the way. Some hairy manoeuvres coming down narrow stony paths. Definitely my favourite Ticknock route.

Thanks Peter and volunteers.
Eamonn HodgeFeb 3 2014, 4:21pmThanks Gareth! I thought Howth would be race number 100 but I didn't arrive in time. Completely forgot about it this week!

I see you're on 97 yourself! We should have a thread to keep track of those approaching 100.
Connor TalbotFeb 3 2014, 8:37pmHi guys, cracking run - only my second you guys but thoroughly enjoyed it again. I'm down as a DNF but I came in with that gang that took the wrong turn (number 1678, 67ish mins). Mea culpa though, I was too interested in a pair of dry socks to stick around and make sure! Thanks again, Con