Irish Mountain
Running Association

Stone Cross to Lug Relay

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Stephen BrennanJun 28 2013, 12:34pmHi,

I'm doing a recce of leg 3 tomorrow, if anyone wants to join.

I'm focusing on the navigation so I'll be taking it easy.

Stephen
stephen collerJul 8 2013, 9:03amanyone putting together a team for this? i would be keen to do a leg, i know leg one like the back of my hand due to training there but id be willing to put in a recce of other legs if needs be. cheers. stephencoller@gmail.com
Rachel CinnsealachJul 16 2013, 1:35pmI am going to do another recce of leg two on Sunday if anyone feels like joining me. I intend walking it... treating it like a hike, so it could take 5 to 6 hours.. I may run a bit. All welcome to come along email me for details.

Again anyone who doesn't have a team and who wants to be put on a team email me and I'll sort you out. I have a list of people to be put onto teams :)

rachel cinnsealach at gmail dot com

John BellJul 18 2013, 3:54pmReally looking forward to this relay. Do we need to enter our teams in advance as per last year? If so where can I get a entry form?
Rachel CinnsealachJul 19 2013, 12:24amRight, for anyone feeling like a hike on Sunday or for any that wants to learn/practice some nav skills... Meet at the wicklow gap car park at 10.00 am. We'll car pool from there back to Sally gap.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 20 2013, 8:48pmHi,

I am now actually looking for people to go onto teams.

I have a few spaces so that I can form teams and give people their prefered legs.

I need 1 or 2 leg one runners and I also need runners for legs two and three.

If you are interested plase get back to me on rachelcinnsealach at gmail dot com.

It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, you do need to either recce the route or be able to navigate though (or both).
Anthony AlexanderJul 22 2013, 10:18amI've contacted Rachel to get onto a team for Leg 1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!!

What are the details for registration on Saturday morning: is there an entry fee, and what time should we be registered by (etc)?
Philip BrennanJul 22 2013, 6:09pmApologies for the late posting on this race - I will accept entries right up to race day!

Last year we had a great turnout so lets hope we get good numbers again this year. With all the dry weather the mountains will be in great condition - just imagine - solid ground from Seahan to Kippure, Barnacuillia Ridge & Conavalla!

For anyone entering a team please email me at philip at pmbrennan.ie and I will send you an entry form & race rules. Please complete the entry form & email back to me - you can pay on the morning of the race.
Stephen BrennanJul 22 2013, 10:40pmPhillip,

Last year some people started leg 3 early (before the arrival of their leg 2 runner at the Wicklow Gap) so to be at Fentons earlier for the BBQ. Is this allowed this year? If so, I'll probably do an early start from the Wicklow Gap.

Stephen
Rachel CinnsealachJul 23 2013, 10:11amFolk's I need a leg one and a leg two runner for this relay, anyone up for the challenge?

Email me on

rachelcinnsealach at gmail dot com
Maike JürgensJul 23 2013, 10:37amthe word file instructions there are cut-off times for the different legs but i dont seem to be able to find them?
also, still looking for a lift to the start from Sandyford area if anyone happens to be going that way. thanks :)
Gareth LittleJul 23 2013, 11:31am
Hi all, would anyone be driving by Fenton's Pub area on there way to the race start that could give me a lift? I am hoping to leave my car at the finish and then run back to my car from the start of leg one.

Thanks,

Gareth
Paul O'GradyJul 23 2013, 3:17pmHi Rachel - I would be up for running leg 1.

Does anyone want to meet at sally gap - leave a car there and then drive back to start? Then get a lift back to the start after leg 1 is completed.
James H CahillJul 23 2013, 3:37pmHi Paul, I am also running leg 1 and also looking for "car pool" from Sally Gap. I can meet you there early morning and we can leave one car and take the other back to the start.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 24 2013, 8:27amGreat stuff Paul. I'll put you down for leg one.

I now just need a leg two runner. Any takers?
Derek KellettJul 24 2013, 9:16amAlso looking to car pool back to start from Sally Gap. Can I jump in, I can drop the driver back to the start at leg end no problem.

regards

Derek 087 1466292
Zoran SkrbaJul 24 2013, 11:51amAnyone carpooling to the Sally Gap? (I'm looking to be there around 9)
Gareth LittleJul 24 2013, 12:51pm
Hmmm, it does not appear that anyone is driving that way on the morning of the race. Would anyone be willing to give a lift from the end of leg 3 back towards the start after the race is over?

Thanks,

Gareth
Rachel CinnsealachJul 24 2013, 3:45pmRight, I have a leg two runner :)

Paul O Grady can you email me.

rachelcinnsealach at gmail dot com
John J BarryJul 25 2013, 8:21amLeg 3 Runners:

Suggested Logistics for you:

Meet in Hollywood (just off N11). The school is just a couple hundred meters from the junction on N11 and it would be ideal for meeting/parking.

Ask Rachael nicely for a lift / bring one car to Wicklow Gap)
After Fentons' get a lift back to junction for Hollywood which is on the way back to Dublin from Fentons'

Rgds

John

Greg ByrneJul 25 2013, 8:34amWould anyone please have some space to a take a bike from the start to the end of Leg 1? Thanks. Greg
Philip BrennanJul 25 2013, 10:42amWe will be flexible with regard to cut off times & will try & facilitate early starts if requested.

I will be driving from the start to the Sally Gap & on to Wicklow Gap & can carry gear for runners if required. Should also be able to take your bike Greg.

Philip
Paul O'GradyJul 25 2013, 1:19pmJames and Derek - I will meet you at the Sally Gap at 7.15/7.30. It seems to be roughly the same distance back to the start on the road as it is via the race route - so roughly 15 mins in a car.

We can agree who drives from the Sally Gap back to the start and who drives them back after the race in the morning. I dont mind doing either.

Anyone who wants a lift to the start, I will be leaving Blackrock at 7am.

Cheers

Paul
James H CahillJul 25 2013, 1:45pmHi Paul, I have arranged to meet Derek at Sally Gap at 7 ish - in case of fog / mist. Will that work for you.
Philip BrennanJul 26 2013, 10:58amMorning everyone, details of runners for tomorrow's race below:

Team no name: Danny Byrne / John Rowe / Dermot Leonard

Filthy Shades of Grey: James Cahill / Val Jones / Stephen Brennan

Scramblers 121: Anthony Alexander / Rob O'Neill / Joe Lalor

3 for the Road: Niamh Hartnett / Sean Harte / Ger Lalor

Pucks Brother: Greg Byrne / Zoran Skrba / Finbar McGurren

Another no name: Maike Jurgens / Stuart Scott / Dave Kelly

3 Rockers: Stephen Coller / Gerard Butler / Daniela Boehm

Muckers: Brian Fennessy / John Bell / Peter Bell

3 Shades of Lost: Derek Kellett / John Barry / Fergus Byrne

Solo Runners:

Mike Jordan , Gareth Little & Alan Ayling

If I am missing anyone or any other teams are planning to run please let me know & I will include you. Also if any runners are planning to switch legs tell me asap - don't leave it until tomorrow morning!
Rachel CinnsealachJul 26 2013, 1:52pmI will be around all day to drive people if people need to be shuffled.

I won't be going as far as Fentons though. I will go to the wicklow gap.
Paul O'GradyJul 26 2013, 2:38pmJames - see you there at 7ish so
David Kelly70Jul 26 2013, 5:36pm

Hi,

Just so I can stick it in my phone, what is the emergency contact number for tomorrow?

Thanks,

Dave

Philip BrennanJul 26 2013, 6:57pmyou can use mine 087 two five 4 one 8 five seven
Rhys McAllisterJul 26 2013, 8:10pmHi is anyone driving to the beginning of leg 2 in the morning from the blessington area. my number is 0834431455 my lift has pulled out all of a sudden.

Thanks rhys
Daniela BoehmJul 26 2013, 8:54pmHi, late notice but if anyone wants an early lift to leg 2 or 3 (leaving ranelagh 8.10, walkinstown 8.20): zero86two 01six784. Sorry, Rhys but we're not coming from the blessington side.. daniela
Pól Ó MurchúJul 26 2013, 9:11pmHey Philip, You forgot me... :-(
I'm doing a solo run too.
Thanks.
John J BarryJul 27 2013, 7:47amWishing everybody a safe and enjoyable day. Think we can leave the maps and compass behind ;-)

John J BarryJul 27 2013, 7:47amWishing everybody a safe and enjoyable day. Think we can leave the maps and compass behind ;-)

James H CahillJul 27 2013, 12:29pmThank you Philip and all the volunteers for a great day out in the mountains. Beautiful day for it. Thank you Rachel for putting the teams together and organizing everything for the teams from legs to car pooling. Great event, great route and a great day
Derek KellettJul 27 2013, 3:53pmDeadly buzz this morning, thank you. You know it's been great when you fall asleep on the couch 2 hours later.

Again thank you, go on John & Fergus ......
Paul O'GradyJul 27 2013, 4:08pmIMRA really is spoilt when it comes to the quality of its race directors - but a special appreciation has to go to Philip for keeping these type of races going for the lunatics.

If you run one race next year try a leg of the Stones Cross to Lug relay. It's what you thought mountain running was all about when you started!!

Thanks again to Philip and Brendan and the volunteers. Great, no make that Epic race. I wish there was a race like this more often.
Mike JordanJul 27 2013, 6:53pmThanks a million to Philip and everyone else who lended a hand today to run this event today. It definitely one of my favourite races on the calendar.
Fair play to all the teams who got out and ran in what were fantastic conditions. I hope ye enjoyed it as much as me :) My map stayed in the bag for the day, and the ground was as dry and runnable as you could possibly hope for.
Well done to the winning team of Greg, Zoran & Finbar, retaining their title from last year. I think 5hr21min was the winning time? Very impressive! Best mixed team was Niamh, Sean and Ger. Again well done!
Myself, Gareth and Alan went for the solo option and found a pace (or maybe a level of effort is a better description!) that suited us well and so stuck together for the day coming home in 7hr40min, a little tired but very happy with a fantastic day in the hills. It was great to be out in such good company and in such good conditions. Thanks lads - I'd have slacked off big time without ye!
And fair play to the true solo effort by Pol - just under 9hrs and still smiling at the end - great to see!

Hopefully the bbq can be brought back next year and a few more teams enter. I can't imagine anyone today who didn't have a great time in the hills - I'd highly recommend this race to anyone on the fence next year!
Pól Ó MurchúJul 27 2013, 8:37pmJust to echo what's been said already. Absolutely fantastic event. Big big thanks to Philip for organising and Brendan and any other volunteers. A special mention also to Rachel who coordinated and put together no less than 6 teams, chaufered people to and from checkpoints/cars and was around supporting runners for most of the day! Thank you.

Conditions today were amazing. Clear day, no rain, ground so dry, excellent visibility - don't think i've ever seen the Wicklow mountains being so kind like that before! Really really enjoyed my day in the mountains. Fantastic event and would recommend to anyone. If you can't make a team don't worry you could always try it Solo! This epic race deserves more entrants!
Val JonesJul 27 2013, 9:15pmThanks, Philip, and Peter, Brendan, and Rachel for the race today - fantastic conditions, thanks too to my team mates James and Stephen.
Pity there weren't more teams, don't know why it was down on last year. There was no real navigation challenge, unlike last year.
Val
John J BarryJul 28 2013, 12:35amI also echo the comments above. This was my first 'proper ' open mountain solo run and really enjoyed the 2'45" / 17.2km route. Heard Zoran clocked 16.2 for same route!!!!

A bit worrying I clock a km longer in perfect conditions . :-(

Seán HarteJul 28 2013, 12:42pmMany thanks to Philip and all the other helpers at this event. It's without doubt one of the highlights of the IMRA calendar!
Philip BrennanJul 28 2013, 8:48pmResults of yesterday's race below. I will try & upload a spreadsheet giving placings & splits for all runners for each leg onto the website tomorrow.

1. Pucks Brother

Greg Byrne 1.27 Zoran Skrba 1.53 Finbar McGurren 2.01 Total 5.21

2. 3 For the Road

Niamh Hartnett 1.57 Sean Harte 1.57 Ger Lawlor 2.30 Total: 6.24

3. 3Rockers

Stephen Coller 1.40 Gerard Butler 1.46 Daniela Boehm 3.10 Total: 6.36

4. Scramblers121

Anthony Alexander 1.40 Robert O'Neill 2.17 Joe Lalor 2.52 Total: 6.49

5. The Muckers

Brian Fennessy 2.11 John Bell 2.04 Peter Bell 2.55 Total: 7.10

6. Found on the Forum

Paul O'Grady 2.16 Rhys McAllister 2.29 Kevin O'Riordan 2.26 Total: 7.11

7. Many Alternative Paths

Maike Jurgens 2.38 Stuart Scott 2.15 Dave Kelly: 2.35 Total: 7.28

8. Solo Boys

Alan Ayling Gareth Little & Mike Jordan 1.47 2.34 3.19 Total: 7.40

9. Filthy Shades of Gray

James Cahill 1.52 Val Jones 2.37 Stephen Brennan 3.22 Total: 7.51

10. Solo Boy

Pol O'Murchu 2.02 3.10 3.46 Total: 8.58

11. Bravehearts

Danny Byrne 9.40 John Rowe 3.01 Dermot Leonard DNS

12. Three Shades of Lost

Derek Kellett 1.37 John Barry 2.50 Fergus Byrne DNS

The day dawned clear & bright and registration was an oasis of calm apart from the dreaded midges and a bit of excitement when one runner arrived at the start courtesy of An Garda Siochana. All the dry weather over the past few weeks definitely helped and throughout the day the mountains were reported to be more or less bone dry with fantastic visibility and temperatures just about perfect for running.

Once again the team of Greg, Zoran & Finbar proved fastest on the day although there were lot of other notably very fast times for individual legs, one that stood out for me was Ger Butler's incredible time of 106 mins for Leg 2 - possibly a record?

The winning time of 5 hours 21 mins compares favourably against last year's time of 5.59 for the same team - probably a reflection of the weather & condition of the mountains last year. Looking back at my records the fastest overall time I have recorded is 5 hours 10 mins back in 2010 by CNOC - am I right is saying there is an even faster time recorded by an army team back in the late 70s/early 80s? Either way these are pretty incredible times and recognition needs to be given to these gifted atheletes who are prepared to run hard in open mountain races where there are no marshals or marking tape to guide their way - this is pure mountain running at its best and in my opinion is the real essence of our sport.

Full honours must also go to our solo boys: Alan, Gareth, Pol & Mike - very impressive times indeed.

Looking at the number of entries this year it is a little disappointing that we had 8 teams less than last year. Most agree that this race has yet to reach its full potential numbers wise and I think perhaps a bit more marketing of the event is required well in advance of race day. It truly is one of the classics on our calender and should be promoted as such. One idea we are toying with for next year is some form of live tracking of the runners at each transition point and at the finish. Runners carry a tracking device & we display their position on large monitors for all the see. Some runners are already carrying trackers on their phones so it would just be a matter of improving on this.

A number of photos were taken throughout the day & I will post some on Facebook - you can tag yourself in them.

Finally I need to thank Rachel Cinnsealach,Brendan Doherty, & Peter Kernan for their assistance in the running of this event - once again they are always willing to offer their services - your contribution really is appreciated.
Maike JürgensJul 28 2013, 10:55pmThanks to everyone who made the day possible and special thanks to everyone who waited for me at the Sally Gap while i was trying to find my way out of the grass/heather/bog/fern :). Race report up for my first race involving navigation.
Pat barryJul 29 2013, 8:24amQuite a few guys have been using this bit of kit this year on Bob Graham round attempts. If you have a spare 24 hrs, it is actually quite good fun watching the little dot progressing around the lakes :)

http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg2013.cfm?n=11
Val JonesJul 29 2013, 1:25pmThe record is on the website as
Men: 272:38 (Wally Young, Aenghus O'Cleirigh, Pat Farrelly), Women 438:27 (M Sweeney, Kay Bent, Mary McEhinney)
The mens is 4:32:38, we were discussing it in Fenton's - they started at the Stone cross, so it was longer overall, even if they finished at the bottom of Camara hill. I wonder what their leg times were, and how Ger's compared - and how dry was it?
The total distance is over 50K so could a solo effort qualify for UTM points? It's certainly tougher than the WW Ultra.
Kevin O'RiordanJul 29 2013, 1:31pmResults spreadsheet: http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/LugRelay2013.xls
Stuart ScottJul 29 2013, 5:34pmAll these messages of thanks are probably getting nauseating but nothing else can be said so here's another. Thanks Philip, Brendan, Peter, Rachel and everyone else who ensured this continues to be the best race on the calendar. I don't think I've ever seen Wicklow as dry (and clear)!

Congrats to the winning teams and all the soloists, that's some achievement as always.

For the record, my time was 2h17 rather than 2h15 as I ungraciously succumbed to time pressure and took an early start - next time I should trust the valiant efforts of the team!

Roll on the Nav Challenges!
Gerry BradyJul 29 2013, 6:37pmThe leg times are here: https://www.imra.ie/archive/

The record was set in 1988 in mid-June by three elite orienteers from the army:

- leg 1: Wally Young (83:50)
- leg 2: Aonghus O'Cleirigh (88:57)
- leg 3: Pat Farrelly (99:51)

The women's record you mentioned Val is from 1988 but the time was faster in 1987 with 7:04:24:

- leg 1: Caitlin Bent (126:20)
- leg 2 Mary McElhinney (156:30)
- leg 3 Deirdre Ni Challanain (141:34)
Ger LawlorJul 29 2013, 10:46pmTeam race report up.
Thanks to Philip, Rachel and all the volunteers for one of the best days out on the calendar.
Well done to my team mates and all other teams involved. Hats off to the soloists, Gareth,Mike, Alan and Pol who at the end looked like they could turn around have another crack at it!
Pól Ó MurchúJul 29 2013, 11:02pmHey Val, was just looking at that last night. It would deffo qualify for 1 UTMB point I'm sure and prob not too far from 2 looking at some of the ones on the list. A few more k. And a bit more climb and I'd say ya could stretch it to 2. I reckon an out and back could even get ya 3 points! :-) Although at that distance it would be 32 peaks and approx 105km sure yad be as well to do the round!
derek kellettJul 30 2013, 2:21amI've just had the pleasure of noticing the finishing times. Much as I'd like to say that I did Leg 1 in 1 hr 37 mins, I didn't. I had the pleasure of Paul's company from Seefingan on & ran out of legs on the run in so 2 hours 17 minutes is about right for me.
Gareth LittleAug 17 2013, 11:17am
Late report now added..